Gap insurance on modified cars

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Gap insurance on modified cars

Post by Mrbarry »

I’m looking at new cars because my wife is keeping the M140 (we share cars, she has had it for three weeks solid out of three and a half weeks ownership) so I’m driving a 9year old jag XFR. It’s nice but I’ve had it 9 years. New car time.
There are a few options, M2, M3, M140 with modifications. if I get a modified car I would still want gap cover tho and the policy on our current M140 clearly states will not cover cars that are modified otherwise than in accordance with the original manufacturers specification. So if you so much as wrap the wing mirrors they could refuse to pay out. Has anyone got gap cover that allows for modified cars? And I do intend telling the insurance company about my modifications yes, I won’t be driving uninsured.
Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Gap insurance on modified cars

Post by Mrbarry »

No one?
Reedy496

Post by Reedy496 »

Just read your post & had to double check my Gap Insurance.
Mine is the same as yours & will not cover me if modified in anyway, Which is a real pain in the ass as I bought a front splitter & side skirt extensions!

I've not seen any Gap Insurance that covers non manufactured mods.
Current:15' F20 LCI 118d M Sport Alpine White.
Previous:13' VW 2.0 Passat Estate
08' VW T5 Van
67' VW Splitscreen Pick-up.
72' VW Beetle
84' Ford XR3
Pixel10

Post by Pixel10 »

I’m a bit late to the party on this, but I found a company, ALA, who will cover a modified vehicle for gap insurance just as long as your normal insurance provider is notified about all modifications.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

Pixel10 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:39 pm I’m a bit late to the party on this, but I found a company, ALA, who will cover a modified vehicle for gap insurance just as long as your normal insurance provider is notified about all modifications.

Hope that helps

Looking at their website they only cover the cost of the modified vehicle you bought? So if you bought a car for £12k and spent £10k modifying it they'd only pay up £12k? However if you bought the same modified car for £18k they'd cover you up to £18k. Is that your understanding to?
Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mrbarry »

Tbf tho if you pay for a ‘upto £20,000’ policy that’s all you can expect.
Pixel10

Post by Pixel10 »

jonwilli wrote:
Pixel10 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:39 pm I’m a bit late to the party on this, but I found a company, ALA, who will cover a modified vehicle for gap insurance just as long as your normal insurance provider is notified about all modifications.

Hope that helps

Looking at their website they only cover the cost of the modified vehicle you bought? So if you bought a car for £12k and spent £10k modifying it they'd only pay up £12k? However if you bought the same modified car for £18k they'd cover you up to £18k. Is that your understanding to?
With most insurers you’ll find that the modifications themselves aren’t covered. They tend to only cover the vehicle itself as it was when it left the factory, many won’t even cover manufacturer fitted accessories, for example body kits

Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mrbarry »

Adrian flux do, and they pay out new for old on modifications. I’ve claimed so I know they do.

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”