My Suspension quest! 130i

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by jonwilli »

Some parts readers of this thread might be interested in, Koni rear bump stops and Dinan rear top mounts

https://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=137510
Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Whippy »

I'm still not sure where to go with mine.

Overall feeling is. Too soft.

Koni Special Active dampers probably not great in conveying a feel of firm damping, though they help the ride.
Swap to Koni Sports and adjust freely?

No rear-subframe inserts. Too floppy at the back, feels to squirm all over in 1st/2nd hard accelerations. Would make it feel more firm.
Fit Whiteline inserts?

Sits too low at the back. Too high at the front. Just looks a bit weird. 10mm more at back, 10mm less at front it'd look tons better.
Mess about with different OEM/BMWP options?

Just generally not too sharp feeling.
M3 arms front and rear, and re-alignment? More sharpness and firmness and weight into steering wheel feel and forces into car at back. Just more feelsome.

I can't say if the overall ride is too soft properly. It's hard to isolate the damping and springing quite often. Perhaps with dampers that don't open up and go soft by design, it'll firm up the feeling of softness and make the car feel how I want.
Or perhaps the springs just are too soft, and I want a bit more firmness, so trying out some of the BMWP options might be an idea.

This is still the sticking point for me and this car long-term.

Has anyone else been here and found that these types of tweaks made them happy with their car?

Happy to spend money to get it right, it's just the risk I spend money and I'm still not happy haha.

If I can get this bit right, then I'll be happier buying the BMWP brakes and rear spoiler and maybe some Sportster CS seats, and becoming a full on 130i tart 8)
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump
Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Mr Whippy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:16 am No rear-subframe inserts. Too floppy at the back, feels to squirm all over in 1st/2nd hard accelerations. Would make it feel more firm. Fit Whiteline inserts?

100% yes

Sits too low at the back. Too high at the front. Just looks a bit weird. 10mm more at back, 10mm less at front it'd look tons better.

Ride height spacers are available for the rear:

Powerflex PFR5-427 (12mm)
Genuine BMW 33536769473 (6mm)

Just generally not too sharp feeling. M3 arms front and rear, and re-alignment? More sharpness and firmness and weight into steering wheel feel and forces into car at back. Just more feelsome.

Fronts will make the biggest difference. LCAs are a noticable improvement.

The rear arms replace a couple of bushings for bearings so make the car more compliant by allowing the suspension to do its job. If you're not happy with the suspension, fitting rear arms is likely to accentuate that. They're definitely worth fitting IMHO but sort the suspension first.

Happy to spend money to get it right, it's just the risk I spend money and I'm still not happy haha.

Ohlins. Will be cheaper than a pair of Sportster CS 🤷‍♂️
The Ohlins comment was obviously a bit of a jest, but it does seem to me you'd be much happier fitting a decent set of coilies that you could then have set up to your preference? Will be a lot easier than trying to match a set of springs/dampers to what you want.
E81 130i | Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Whippy »

I’d have the Ohlins but iirc the spring rates were all very high, like race car high.
I’ve got a feeling it’s very very good but also probably not ideal given my local roads.

Going over my old posts again and reading my ‘data’ thread again:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=126836&p=1554756#p1554756

...it looks like the BMWP setup TheTyrant used with 160/420 f/r might be best, then 10mm shims on rear to level it off, then M3 LCA, whiteline inserts, and Koni Sport yellow dampers.

Then if I still don’t fully like it, I don’t think I ever will.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

You can fit 1M suspension to any 1er if you swap on the rear camber arms* too, that might broaden your horizons a little?

*Edit: and knuckles as corrected below!!
Last edited by Nyxeris on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
E81 130i | Thread
CalvinNismo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CalvinNismo »

Nyxeris wrote:You can fit 1M suspension to any 1er if you swap on the rear camber arms too, that might broaden your horizons a little?
Just to expand on this, you also need E9X M3 or F8X M front knuckles also, the O/D in the knuckle for the damper tube is larger and it doesn’t rely on the ‘tab’ to position it height wise, the M dampers rely on a tapered shoulder instead. Some places might be able to sell you a non-M front and M rear damper combo.
Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Whippy »

Yes that should widen options a lot... but also cost and the ability to pontificate until the end of time haha!

Maybe I’ll do the whitelines, tca etc first, and maybe tyres, then see how it feels... then dampers last.

I still think these Eagle F1 Asym 3 are crap vs the Asym 2 and not helping with the softness.
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

CalvinNismo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:00 pm Just to expand on this, you also need E9X M3 or F8X M front knuckles also
Missed that :oops:

Was reading a thread on another forum after seeing Jonwilli had fitted your rear arms - wasn't explained that the fronts were necessary too but definitely explains why that car's knuckles looked brand new too!!
E81 130i | Thread
MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

Mr Whippy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:46 pm

...it looks like the BMWP setup TheTyrant used with 160/420 f/r might be best, then 10mm shims on rear to level it off, then M3 LCA, whiteline inserts, and Koni Sport yellow dampers.

I'm also close to finalising on the BMWP option for springs.
Do we have confirmed reports of the stance being 'reverse raked' when the BMWP springs are changed from the MSport?
They say -10mm both ends, but I've also read that the front stays the same while the rear lowers 10mm.
I'll be running BMWP bump stops if that makes any difference.?

Front spring: 31336788893
Rear spring: 33536788899

Finding any pictures or real world experience of the BMWP springs is proving tricky.
-10mm sounds perfect to me but I'm concerned he things I read about the front actually being 0mm.
130i LE. No.35
BMWP exhaust / BMWP intake / BMWP short shift / BMWP alcantara / MPS4 / Aero spoiler / Tinted
340i M Sport Touring MPPSK
Adaptive LED / Pro Nav / MPPSK Carbon / MP grills / MP diffuser / Heated / Tinted
MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

MED wrote:
Mr Whippy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:46 pm

I'm also close to finalising on the BMWP option for springs.
Do we have confirmed reports of the stance being 'reverse raked' when the BMWP springs are changed from the MSport?
They say -10mm both ends, but I've also read that the front stays the same while the rear lowers 10mm.
I'll be running BMWP bump stops if that makes any difference.?

Front spring: 31336788893
Rear spring: 33536788899

Finding any pictures or real world experience of the BMWP springs is proving tricky.
-10mm sounds perfect to me but I'm concerned he things I read about the front actually being 0mm.
I've got some measurements from DxThomas's LE.
identical car to mine apart from his springs and stops.. we run the same tyres too. 225front and 235rear MPS4.
My MSport standard setup has done 70k.

DT front BMWP spring and bumpstop. Bottom of rim to arch.
590mm
DT rear BMWP spring and bumpstop. Bottom of rim to arch.
570mm

MED front Msport spring and bumpstop. Bottom of rim to arch.
590mm
MED rear Msport spring and bumpstop. Bottom of rim to arch.
570mm

So, based on that the BMWP spring and bumpstop combo have no lowering effect on a 70k msport setup.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

130i LE. No.35
BMWP exhaust / BMWP intake / BMWP short shift / BMWP alcantara / MPS4 / Aero spoiler / Tinted
340i M Sport Touring MPPSK
Adaptive LED / Pro Nav / MPPSK Carbon / MP grills / MP diffuser / Heated / Tinted
THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT »

MED wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 pm
So, based on that the BMWP spring and bumpstop combo have no lowering effect on a 70k msport setup.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Yes thats pretty much what found :) msport ride height is already low enough and comprised for bad roads so you dont really want any lower imo.
--
Between bmw's, Previously 3 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208
BurgerK

Post by BurgerK »

Hello,

Complete suspension noob here. Been reading the thread with interest for a while and bought a 130i last week with knowingly weeping shocks - excuse to upgrade! :)

I'd like to keep the ride height same as Msports too - London bumps are not kind to lowered suspension, so super interested to try the exact THETYRANT set up - KONI Sports Adjustable with BMWP bumpstops and Eibach ERL R10404 springs.

Question on adjusting the rear shocks - Larkspeed states the rears being: 8240-1231SPORT. Koni's site states 8240 needs to be removed from vehicle to be adjusted on vice clamp. Is that so or did i get the model numbers all wrong?
https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Technol ... nt-Guides/

Will be tricky if so since don't have a drive/garage.
THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT »

Yes Koni rears are a pain to adjust as have to remove from car so you can compress/turn etc, however in reality you dont need to adjust them and for normal road use 1/4 turn up from full soft it spot on :D
--
Between bmw's, Previously 3 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”