Baby BMW Forum banner

Brake Fluid

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Stumps 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I've got a small problem, caused by myself :$. Before my last maintenance at the dealer I noticed the brake fluid needed to be changed aswel, so I decided to change it to different brake fluid (Motul RBF660), because of good experience with it. The dealership front office didn't expected any problems so it was planned. After the service they told me they didn't change the fluid, because they can not work with different brake fluids, because they only do it with their equipment, which doesn't allow them to change to something different.

No problem I thought, then we will do it our selfs (this is where it went wrong ;)).

First attempt
- we had a BMW computer, to work with the computer, to get the DSC pump flushed
- further we did a normal brake fluid change, both of us did it more often
- after bleeding quite long (3 litres), it was for the first we thought this could be it
- smal testdrive quite quick showed the problem, pedal first attempt is soft, second attempt pressure is allright

Second (and third until ninth attempt :()
- we had a BMW computer
- we also had an system which kept the brake system on pressure (often used in garages); small research showed that this could be necessary
- short bleeding, 100% no air showed
- pedal is better, but still not there, needs a small first press and after that its perfect, but this isn't the way it should :)

Problem atm is that we don't know what to do, my last option is going back to the dealer en changing back to oem fluid, but feels a bit wasted of energy, if we could make it the normal way around.

We feel that the system is bleed properly, and the ABS/DSC pump we can't operate other than with the computer, and we tried this several times en monitor shows that this has gone right.

Anyone with any thoughts or tips?

See less See more
#2 ·
Jesus 3 litres !!
1 litre is enough
I usually suck out some of the old fluid from the tank (saves pumping the old crap through )
Then one person in the car opperating the pedal and one person cracking the bleed nipples off ( 1 calipers at a time starting from the furthest calipers away from the tank)
Pump away until new fluid it flowing , that's about it !

#3 ·
Never tried this on a car, but can you use the brake pistons to move a reasonable quantity of fluid with a bit more flow towards the reservoir? Once all fluid has been replaced with clean fluid, it's a way of flowing it around without actually opening and closing the system all the time. If the reservoir is big enough anyway.

Could help evacuate more dirty fluid from the callipers too, instead of just the lines and path towards the bleeder.

#4 ·
markhurley said:
Jesus 3 litres !!
1 litre is enough
I usually suck out some of the old fluid from the tank (saves pumping the old crap through )
Then one person in the car opperating the pedal and one person cracking the bleed nipples off ( 1 calipers at a time starting from the furthest calipers away from the tank)
Pump away until new fluid it flowing , that's about it !
Idd, I know, less than 1 litre should be enough, thats how it always went :p. Also sucked from the reservoir :). This part of bleeding is very familair, but then there will still be old fluid in the DSC-pump/system.

We tried to solve that, which probably caused the extra labor :p

#6 ·
Hi,

I thought that rbf600 was I'm able with standard brake fluid but I don't believe it is good practice to do so.

Like what has been said before.

Suck out old brake fluid from reservoir then refill with fresh fluid of your choice then bleed the system from the back right first then back left then front right then front left.
But you should not need to bleed through 3 litres that is a waste and expensive.
Any good garage could do this for you.

Good luck

Stumps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.