Eibach Pro-Kit and Koni FSD - which bump stops?

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Poormans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Eibach Pro-Kit and Koni FSD - which bump stops?

Post by Poormans » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Fritz wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:37 pm
So if you run a loaded car more often its best to go with standard?
THETYRANT wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 pm
Its a real compromise on these cars due to design of suspension so you need to work out what you need most from it.
Exactly.. the other thread is called "Quest" for a reason. Driving style, speeds, cornering loads, carrying loads all do something. You can fix one thing, and create an issue somewhere else. Which might not always be obvious, noticeable or super safe.

Despite their name, bumpstops act as springs on our cars. But they might also act a bit like an anti roll bar. And anti squat and anti dive. If the windscreen acts as a spoiler and as a high drag area, it might influence the stance and/or height of the car at higher speeds. Maybe the stock bumpstops are designed to create a certain balance at these speeds, and we try to mess it all up with our mods.. or wear and tear does it for us.
shooting brake

Fritz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fritz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 pm
Fritz wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:37 pm
So if you run a loaded car more often its best to go with standard?

Depends on rest of spec of suspension ? if stock Msport then the factory setup is designed for fully loaded car and if thats the norm for you then a couple of options, stick with totally stock setup but if bumpstops have never been changed then worth replacing as they degrade over time and should be able to see visually if really bad, new ones will give better ride quality but if your looking to improve comfort when lightly loaded then BMW Performance rear bumpstops will give 11mm or so extra free travel to help with comfort but still nice nd firm when car is fully loaded.

Its a real compromise on these cars due to design of suspension so you need to work out what you need most from it.
Currently standard but seriously considering B12. The car is mostly used with two people and some gear but not much, however, being based in Munich I do do several trips to the mountains loaded with 4 people and a roofbox full of skis so I wouldn't want it bottoming out.

Cheers for the help

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 am

Fritz wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 am

Currently standard but seriously considering B12. The car is mostly used with two people and some gear but not much, however, being based in Munich I do do several trips to the mountains loaded with 4 people and a roofbox full of skis so I wouldn't want it bottoming out.

Cheers for the help
Depends if your happy with the stock suspension?, if not then B12 is a nice easy/cheap option and will be a good handling upgrade and with the firmer rear springs helps keep car propped up ok when loaded, i think the reason Eibach springs dont drop the rear on these cars is for exactly that situation as the B12 uses a short bumpstop (like the Koni ones i use) so its only held up with coilspring, Eibach pro springs as used in B12 kit actually lift the rear slightly at least on worn suspension, its probably about same msport was when new though. Only downside to B12 kit is its a touch firmer at lower speeds on poor roads but at least over in Germany your roads are better than ours so not as much a problem.
Koni sports give a nicer ride quality than B12 kit but still retain the sporty feel of car and good handling, just a bit more expensive as you need to buy dampers and then springs and bumpstops and things seperate.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Fritz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fritz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 am
Fritz wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 am

Cheers for the help
Depends if your happy with the stock suspension?, if not then B12 is a nice easy/cheap option and will be a good handling upgrade and with the firmer rear springs helps keep car propped up ok when loaded, i think the reason Eibach springs dont drop the rear on these cars is for exactly that situation as the B12 uses a short bumpstop (like the Koni ones i use) so its only held up with coilspring, Eibach pro springs as used in B12 kit actually lift the rear slightly at least on worn suspension, its probably about same msport was when new though. Only downside to B12 kit is its a touch firmer at lower speeds on poor roads but at least over in Germany your roads are better than ours so not as much a problem.
Koni sports give a nicer ride quality than B12 kit but still retain the sporty feel of car and good handling, just a bit more expensive as you need to buy dampers and then springs and bumpstops and things seperate.
Not happy with stock suspension at all :lol: I'd be doing m3 lca and subframe inserts at the same time (maybe arb bushes too). I had a 52k miles 325ti before the 130i, I replaced a large number of bushes (Lca, arb, trailing arm, subframe etc etc) and that thing handled like a go kart compared to the 130. Really frustrated by turn in understeer and the wobbly rear end just kills the joy of the 130. The rear is a bit lower than normal (car is on 77k) someone saw it recently and thought it was on springs :lol: it did spend a large portion of its life in London so I think that has taken its toll on the shocks. Going to and fro between Germany and the UK the difference in the quality of the roads is bonkers, makes you realise why an msport car over there is absolutely fine but over here people are constantly cracking rims.

So the B12 has bumpstops as part of the kit? Koni sports would be great but a bit more than I want to spend.

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Yes lots of speedbumps etc wrecks the bumpstops on these as they are using them all the time as additonal spring/damper, this car i have now only done 55k when i got it last november and bumpstops were in a worse state than other 1series ive had so with 20k more miles!, this one spent a lot of time in city with speedbumps which is why i think.

The B12 kit comes with pretty much everything you need which makes it a bargain i guess, you get dampers, springs, bumpstops (internal on inverted fronts) and only other parts you may need are front top mount bearings which is probably worth changing at higher miles (mine was ok on this car but did need re-greasing) also rear damper top mount bushes can get worn and which ive just changed, rear damper lower mounting possibly but usually very durable and ive not had to change yet, of course you wont know till you get it apart and inspect or just get it all.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Fritz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fritz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Ah that's great to hear. I'm looking at a company in Germany that can deliver to the U.K. and the total comes to £500, seems like a bargain.

Thanks for the info on the bushes, I was wondering what else may/will need changing. Don't suppose you have the part numbers? Being pressed for time means I won't be changing the shocks/lca myself, any other bits or bushes you'd advise at the same time? I have xenons so will need the levelling adjusters too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ornicar

Post by ornicar » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:46 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:46 am
Just came across this thread, fit the BMWP ones front and rear as a minimum, if you need better comfort still then Koni do a universal short one that fits on rears as per my thread :)

Bumpstops are sold in singles usually.

Ian
Please, what is the P/N of the Koni bumpstop? are they shorter than the performance ones?

thank you!

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 am

ornicar wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:46 pm
THETYRANT wrote:
Just came across this thread, fit the BMWP ones front and rear as a minimum, if you need better comfort still then Koni do a universal short one that fits on rears as per my thread :)

Ian
Please, what is the P/N of the Koni bumpstop? are they shorter than the performance ones?

thank you!
Koni part I use is Part number 71.34.42.000.0 and yes its shorter than the BMWP ones, pic below showing the Koni next to stock msport rear, BMWP item is approx 10mm shorter than stock msport so sits in between these 2 but I don't have a picture of it.

--

ornicar

Post by ornicar » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 am
ornicar wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:46 pm
THETYRANT wrote:

Ian

thank you!
Koni part I use is Part number 71.34.42.000.0 and yes its shorter than the BMWP ones, pic below showing the Koni next to stock msport rear, BMWP item is approx 10mm shorter than stock msport so sits in between these 2 but I don't have a picture of it.

Perfect, thank you.

My performance bumpstop 6788905 measured 65mm ( i don't know how to attached a picture...). it is included in the performance pack for 125i. I am very pleased with this performance pack, i used Bilstein B8 (1M ones in rear axle) instead of OEM shocks. By the way it is just a little too harsh in the rear axle --> I hope these bumpstops will allow to be more comfy thanks to the additionnal travel.

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”