Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Post Reply
User avatar
Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by Sam1er » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:27 am

Hi All,

Just need some advise. About to order some brake pads for my BMW 645 and i usually go for EBC yellow's which have served me well. I was offered some steptech 309 pads at a very good price and was wondering if anyone has used these before? Any reviews on these would be great.

Thanks
Sam
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

User avatar
Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by Sam1er » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Il go with the stoptech pads as i need to get them ordered. If anyone does have any opinions then please do still post them. It would be interesting to hear.

Thanks
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

User avatar
RDowson
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by RDowson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Sam1er wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pm
Il go with the stoptech pads as i need to get them ordered. If anyone does have any opinions then please do still post them. It would be interesting to hear.

Thanks
How did you find the StopTech pads? How much better than stock are they?

User avatar
Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by Sam1er » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 am

RDowson wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm

How did you find the StopTech pads? How much better than stock are they?
Done a few miles in them now and they are nice pads. No issues. About the same squeal when cold as the EBC yellows. once they warm up a little no sounds at all. I did the nurburgring on the EBC yellows but not done anything like that in the stoptech pads but normal road braking and some harsh braking feels solid. I would buy them again. Over standard pads there is a definite improvement but i also have the stoptech braided hose kit with the TYP200 brake fluid on the car. This combo gives a nice progressive feel to the brakes.
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

User avatar
RDowson
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by RDowson » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 am

Sam1er wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 am
RDowson wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm

How did you find the StopTech pads? How much better than stock are they?
Done a few miles in them now and they are nice pads. No issues. About the same squeal when cold as the EBC yellows. once they warm up a little no sounds at all. I did the nurburgring on the EBC yellows but not done anything like that in the stoptech pads but normal road braking and some harsh braking feels solid. I would buy them again. Over standard pads there is a definite improvement but i also have the stoptech braided hose kit with the TYP200 brake fluid on the car. This combo gives a nice progressive feel to the brakes.
Thanks. How did you find the Yellowstuff pads?

User avatar
Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by Sam1er » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 am

RDowson wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks. How did you find the Yellowstuff pads?
I like them. i was going for EBC yellow on the fronts again but another supplier i was speaking to managed to supply me the stoptech pads for a cheaper price than the yellow's. It was the only reason i changed. Next pad change for me will be either yellows or stoptech depending on price. I still have yellows on the rear. Yellows managed a lap of the ring without any issues and still had plenty of pad life for another lap plus the trip home.
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

User avatar
RDowson
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by RDowson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 am

Sam1er wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 am
RDowson wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks. How did you find the Yellowstuff pads?
I like them. i was going for EBC yellow on the fronts again but another supplier i was speaking to managed to supply me the stoptech pads for a cheaper price than the yellow's. It was the only reason i changed. Next pad change for me will be either yellows or stoptech depending on price. I still have yellows on the rear. Yellows managed a lap of the ring without any issues and still had plenty of pad life for another lap plus the trip home.
Am I right I’m saying you can’t get StopTech pads to fit the rears?

How are the Yellowstuff pads vs stock pads?

User avatar
Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by Sam1er » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am

RDowson wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 am

Am I right I’m saying you can’t get StopTech pads to fit the rears?

How are the Yellowstuff pads vs stock pads?
I have not looked for the rear stoptech pads. I had the yellows already fitted and was planning on yellows for the front also. I was hunting for the best price and spoke to a friend at CA-INT who mentioned he had a set of front stoptech pads in stock for my car and could do me a great deal on them. I told him the price of the yellow fronts with discount i could get and he managed to beat it, so after much deliberating i went with them.

Yellow stuff vs stock is a big difference as mentioned. I did the ring with them on and no fade, they actually bedded in really nicely after the first 3 corners then they performed like never before. No fade over the full track and still had plenty of meat on them. I could feel a big difference between the first few corners and the rest of the lap as they just bit harder and i could stop later.

I dont have much experience in other manufacturer pads but i know the yellow stuff handled very well that week i was in europe and when i returned home they still worked very well till they needed changing. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another set again. My only concern is bedding them in to the same level as i managed to on track will be very hard to do. I tried to bed them in across the euro trip but i didnt manage to do it fully till i hit the track. They still worked very well without a full bed in but UK roads are not really designed to bed in track pads and access to a track is not really viable every time you need to change pads. I guess that's the trade off for harder pads vs stock pads.
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

User avatar
RDowson
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by RDowson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 am

Sam1er wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am
RDowson wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 am

Am I right I’m saying you can’t get StopTech pads to fit the rears?

How are the Yellowstuff pads vs stock pads?
I have not looked for the rear stoptech pads. I had the yellows already fitted and was planning on yellows for the front also. I was hunting for the best price and spoke to a friend at CA-INT who mentioned he had a set of front stoptech pads in stock for my car and could do me a great deal on them. I told him the price of the yellow fronts with discount i could get and he managed to beat it, so after much deliberating i went with them.

Yellow stuff vs stock is a big difference as mentioned. I did the ring with them on and no fade, they actually bedded in really nicely after the first 3 corners then they performed like never before. No fade over the full track and still had plenty of meat on them. I could feel a big difference between the first few corners and the rest of the lap as they just bit harder and i could stop later.

I dont have much experience in other manufacturer pads but i know the yellow stuff handled very well that week i was in europe and when i returned home they still worked very well till they needed changing. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another set again. My only concern is bedding them in to the same level as i managed to on track will be very hard to do. I tried to bed them in across the euro trip but i didnt manage to do it fully till i hit the track. They still worked very well without a full bed in but UK roads are not really designed to bed in track pads and access to a track is not really viable every time you need to change pads. I guess that's the trade off for harder pads vs stock pads.
Lots of country roads where I live so hopefully bedding them in wouldn't be an issue!

User avatar
Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

Post by Sam1er » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:39 pm

RDowson wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 am

Lots of country roads where I live so hopefully bedding them in wouldn't be an issue!
Hopefully not :)
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

Post Reply

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”