Baby BMW Forum banner

Stoptech 309 and EBC yellow

2K views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  Sam1er 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just need some advise. About to order some brake pads for my BMW 645 and i usually go for EBC yellow's which have served me well. I was offered some steptech 309 pads at a very good price and was wondering if anyone has used these before? Any reviews on these would be great.

Thanks
Sam

#2 ·
Il go with the stoptech pads as i need to get them ordered. If anyone does have any opinions then please do still post them. It would be interesting to hear.

Thanks

#3 ·
RDowson said:
How did you find the StopTech pads? How much better than stock are they?
Done a few miles in them now and they are nice pads. No issues. About the same squeal when cold as the EBC yellows. once they warm up a little no sounds at all. I did the nurburgring on the EBC yellows but not done anything like that in the stoptech pads but normal road braking and some harsh braking feels solid. I would buy them again. Over standard pads there is a definite improvement but i also have the stoptech braided hose kit with the TYP200 brake fluid on the car. This combo gives a nice progressive feel to the brakes.

#4 ·
RDowson said:
Thanks. How did you find the Yellowstuff pads?
I like them. i was going for EBC yellow on the fronts again but another supplier i was speaking to managed to supply me the stoptech pads for a cheaper price than the yellow's. It was the only reason i changed. Next pad change for me will be either yellows or stoptech depending on price. I still have yellows on the rear. Yellows managed a lap of the ring without any issues and still had plenty of pad life for another lap plus the trip home.

#5 ·
RDowson said:
Am I right I'm saying you can't get StopTech pads to fit the rears?

How are the Yellowstuff pads vs stock pads?
I have not looked for the rear stoptech pads. I had the yellows already fitted and was planning on yellows for the front also. I was hunting for the best price and spoke to a friend at CA-INT who mentioned he had a set of front stoptech pads in stock for my car and could do me a great deal on them. I told him the price of the yellow fronts with discount i could get and he managed to beat it, so after much deliberating i went with them.

Yellow stuff vs stock is a big difference as mentioned. I did the ring with them on and no fade, they actually bedded in really nicely after the first 3 corners then they performed like never before. No fade over the full track and still had plenty of meat on them. I could feel a big difference between the first few corners and the rest of the lap as they just bit harder and i could stop later.

I dont have much experience in other manufacturer pads but i know the yellow stuff handled very well that week i was in europe and when i returned home they still worked very well till they needed changing. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another set again. My only concern is bedding them in to the same level as i managed to on track will be very hard to do. I tried to bed them in across the euro trip but i didnt manage to do it fully till i hit the track. They still worked very well without a full bed in but UK roads are not really designed to bed in track pads and access to a track is not really viable every time you need to change pads. I guess that's the trade off for harder pads vs stock pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.