All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Suspension question...

Post by Webarno » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at some suspension kits and am seriously tempted to pull out my wallet and spend some more cash.
I have no idea what's best but don't really want to spend more than £500 (I'm not looking for anything serious).

My car is currently on the stock M-Sport suspension which has done 84,000 miles so I think new shocks and springs would be well worth the investment.
But, I don't want the ride to be too much firmer than it already is, although I know it's likely to stiffen up a bit.

Having said that, would I need to purchase anything else in order to swap the suspension out? Or could I just buy a new kit, and it would literally be plug and play?

Also, Bilstein B12 or Koni STR.T?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked multiple times! (probably)

Thanks in advance!
2009 E82 125i M Sport LeMans Blue

https://www.instagram.com/webbybm/

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Suspension question...

Post by THETYRANT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:59 pm

For your budget its either B12 kit if you don't mind firmer and a touch lower at front, or get some Bilstein B4 dampers, new bumpstops and resuse stock springs (or get eibach prokit for slight drop) , if you can stretch budget my favourite for road is Koni Sport adjustables with new bumpstops and stock msport springs, on soft setting much better body control and ride quality than stock, see my suspension quest thread in signature below for all things ive tried! ;)
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Webarno » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:01 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:59 pm
For your budget its either B12 kit if you don't mind firmer and a touch lower at front, or get some Bilstein B4 dampers, new bumpstops and resuse stock springs (or get eibach prokit for slight drop) , if you can stretch budget my favourite for road is Koni Sport adjustables with new bumpstops and stock msport springs, on soft setting much better body control and ride quality than stock, see my suspension quest thread in signature below for all things ive tried! ;)
You the man, thanks!

So, If I decided to go for a full kit like the B12, I wouldn't need to buy anything else?

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Webarno wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:01 pm

So, If I decided to go for a full kit like the B12, I wouldn't need to buy anything else?
Yes pretty much if everything else is in ok order, the B12 kit comes with Bilstein B8 Front and Rear Dampers complete with bumpstops and a set of Eibach Pro-kit springs :D
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Webarno » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:35 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm
Webarno wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes pretty much if everything else is in ok order, the B12 kit comes with Bilstein B8 Front and Rear Dampers complete with bumpstops and a set of Eibach Pro-kit springs :D
Perfect! Sounds like the most attractive option then. Thanks Ian! :D

Now just need to find the best place to purchase.

Fritz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Suspension question...

Post by Fritz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm in the process of deciding exactly this and currently have too much time on my hands so I did a spreadsheet for the costs Image

In the breakdown all stuff is from eBay apart from the b12 set up which is from n2o tuning in Germany (€570 delivered). I'm personally being forced to go down the b4 route cos my European insurance won't cover mods Image

I would also allow £130 for worse case scenario full alignment and £110 for m3 lca (seems silly not to) and £20 for xenon levelling arm of you have xenons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Webarno » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Fritz wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:36 pm
I'm in the process of deciding exactly this and currently have too much time on my hands so I did a spreadsheet for the costs Image

In the breakdown all stuff is from eBay apart from the b12 set up which is from n2o tuning in Germany (€570 delivered). I'm personally being forced to go down the b4 route cos my European insurance won't cover mods Image

I would also allow £130 for worse case scenario full alignment and £110 for m3 lca (seems silly not to) and £20 for xenon levelling arm of you have xenons

Hahah well that’s helpful for me too.
You think new top mounts are required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fritz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fritz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm going to do the bushes listed. If everything is apart and you're going to the trouble of refreshing the suspension cos it's tired, it seems silly not to spend a little extra and do the job properly. Worse case scenario - if you don't change them when you change the suspension you'll be unsettling 10 year old 80'000 mile rubber/plastic bushes/mounts which by this point will also have quite a bit of wear and tear. The added pressure of new equipment/seating position could just mean they are finished in half a year and then you have to replace them anyway.

I think it comes down to how long you intend to keep the car, or if it bothers you to potentially have to do more work later down the line.

Personally I'd say do it once, do it right :D

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Webarno » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Wise thinking in that case. You’re probably right then.

krisabf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by krisabf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 pm

I received the B12 kit from N20 tuning a couple of weeks ago but so far I've only managed to fit the rear shocks so far due to this horrible weather we seem to be having.
Even just fitting the rear shocks I have noticed a definite improvement in the compliance of the rear end. I changed the lower shock mounts (the ones that fit in the wishbone) with oem versions but the upper shock mounts got replaced with powerflex versions. In hindsight neither really needed replacing as they were in decent condition but I thought whilst it's all apart I might as well replace them for peace of mind.

I've just got the springs, front shocks, top mounts and all the associated rubber gaskets, spring perches etc etc to fit once this horrendous weather clears up.

Oh, mine only has 62k on the clock but the rear shocks I took off were absolutely dead.
E82 135i N54 - MHD stage 1+, Forge FMIC, Turbosmart Plumback diverter valves, VRSF charge pipe. M3 LCAs + TS, THETYRANT camber plates, Bilstein B12, Whiteline bush inserts, resonator delete, Dare DR X2 alloys, MB Quart QM-200.3 + Pioneer D8604 amp.

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Webarno » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:59 pm

krisabf wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 pm
I received the B12 kit from N20 tuning a couple of weeks ago but so far I've only managed to fit the rear shocks so far due to this horrible weather we seem to be having.
Even just fitting the rear shocks I have noticed a definite improvement in the compliance of the rear end. I changed the lower shock mounts (the ones that fit in the wishbone) with oem versions but the upper shock mounts got replaced with powerflex versions. In hindsight neither really needed replacing as they were in decent condition but I thought whilst it's all apart I might as well replace them for peace of mind.

I've just got the springs, front shocks, top mounts and all the associated rubber gaskets, spring perches etc etc to fit once this horrendous weather clears up.

Oh, mine only has 62k on the clock but the rear shocks I took off were absolutely dead.
How long did it take to arrive from them after you ordered mate?

krisabf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by krisabf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Webarno wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:59 pm
krisabf wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 pm

How long did it take to arrive from them after you ordered mate?
Once it was despatched it took about 4 days. When I ordered it was out of stock and took about a week before it came into stock. I got regular emails updating me with the progress so I can't fault their service at all to be honest.
E82 135i N54 - MHD stage 1+, Forge FMIC, Turbosmart Plumback diverter valves, VRSF charge pipe. M3 LCAs + TS, THETYRANT camber plates, Bilstein B12, Whiteline bush inserts, resonator delete, Dare DR X2 alloys, MB Quart QM-200.3 + Pioneer D8604 amp.

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Webarno » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks man. Seems to be the cheapest place to order as well.

krisabf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by krisabf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 pm

I couldn't find anywhere cheaper when I was looking.

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Webarno » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Ordered the b12 kit today. From Demon Tweeks. Found a 10% discount code so all in total it came to £508.34.

Chuffed! :)

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”