Baby BMW Forum banner

Modified car insurance

7K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Alastair 
#1 ·
So...struggling to get reasonable priced insurance when I want to declare the mods I'm wanting to do in the very near future(this summer).

Does anybody know where I can go thats better than comparison sites.cos all i get is same companies coming up at £850

That's just declaring suspension.

No convictions 13 years no claims. I'm 30

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Wow.brilliant response

Comparison site came up with admiral

Waiting for a call back from Adrian flux.

Obviously I will try the others listed as well. That's great thanks for the replys.

Do you think I need to mention m3 LCA,s and any part that look OEM??

#7 ·
I switch between A-plan, Chris Knott and Sky
Paid £300 with mods declared
Paul

#11 ·
Some good info on here....especially when people think comparison sites are the be all and end all.

I used to think you could probably get things cheaper by shopping around and spending loads of time for just £50 cheaper and it's not worth the time.

Looks like this isn't the case and it definitely.worth the time

If we all had insurance at the same time. We could group by policies maybe.lol. that would be good.

#12 ·
Thought I'd just add to this and give a shout out / thanks to Adrian Flux.

I've had an unmodified 120d MSport for a year now and have been itching to do some bits to it (nothing major, full maxton lip kit, M135i exhaust conversion and aftermarket wheels). I'm due for renewal of insurance in 2 weeks, so thought now is the time to do the mods and declare them in the same step (rather than pay admin and uncontrolled premiums at the same time).

So I hit the comparison sites.

My unmodified renewal was £380 and that was pretty much what was coming out on comparison sites. I'm 37, driving 20 years with full no claims and use my car for business. I protect everything and always take legal cover and try to keep my excess as low as possible, in this case £200.

With the basic mods above, the comparison sites were hitting me with £500 increases for what are essentially nothing more than styling mods. Subtle ones at that. And the minimum excess was usually at least double my renewal.

So I called Adrian Flux yesterday. They wanted an extra £30 for the mods declared and same level of cover, albeit my excess went up £50 to £250.

I used to be with Adrian Flux for many years as a 20 something lad with fast modified fords and they always sorted me out.

Top result. Cheers Adrian Flux. :thumbs:

#15 ·
I was with Chris Knott for a couple of years but went with LV this year as there were quite a bit cheaper.

#16 ·
Had hell of a game the other month Chris Knott excepted, i could not find any apart from Hyperformance (have had unlimited hp in the past) and Flux Direct to insure a modded 118D 13k miles pa.
Even GoCompare only came up with two Flux Direct £423 +£1050 excess and Endleigh at £2655 + £600 excess.
Take most mods off and the likes of all above come up a high as £13k pa.

#20 ·
Triggsy said:
Adrian Flux, sometimes Admiral and also Brentacre have been good in the past
I'm with admiral. 4 years ncb only 26 with m240i for £625. Didn't realise Im supposed to declare the bmw m splitter and diffuser and mpe, as they came with car... But admiral want dealer options as mods??
Kind of scared to call and update as I've heard of people just getting their insurance cancelled. Maybe I'll call and get a "quote" from them for these parts to see. If not will just have to take the risk for the next few months til renewal!

#21 ·
CiscoH said:
Triggsy said:
I'm with admiral. 4 years ncb only 26 with m240i for £625. Didn't realise Im supposed to declare the bmw m splitter and diffuser and mpe, as they came with car... But admiral want dealer options as mods??
Kind of scared to call and update as I've heard of people just getting their insurance cancelled. Maybe I'll call and get a "quote" from them for these parts to see. If not will just have to take the risk for the next few months til renewal!
This is a complete coincidence as I have just posted something in the E8x section regarding insurance.

When you say these options came with the car, do you mean they came with it brand new. Or they were added after?

Because anything specd from the factory shouldn't have to be mentioned as the car was built with it as standard??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Trojantrow said:
CiscoH said:
Triggsy said:
This is a complete coincidence as I have just posted something in the E8x section regarding insurance.

When you say these options came with the car, do you mean they came with it brand new. Or they were added after?

Because anything specd from the factory shouldn't have to be mentioned as the car was built with it as standard??

MPE etc would come under dealer options and would be fitted from dealership once delivered, and before you drive away. I bought 2nd hand, but I was none of the wiser and would think similar. Until having a Google around and reading here. It states this when doing admiral quote:

#23 ·
I think listing options and OEM extras is fair personally.

A fully spec'd out M-Lite (19" 624m's, MP LSD / Body Kit / Exhaust / Stripes / Springs; HK, Adaptive Suspension / Cruise / Headlights, Metallic Paint, Pro Nav, Heated Electric Seats, and so on....) could cost a third more than a poverty spec M-Lite.

Higher value, and more desirable to thieves/vandals too. Pro-Nav stolen, for example:

#24 ·
If I We're to spec Harmon kardon sound system and pro nav from the factory if i bought new, I wouldn't be expected to tell my insurance I don't think.

But if I bought poverty spec and fitted my own sat about and sound system I would be expected to tell them.

I thought it would be the same for anything. But the picture you said clearly states regarding looks and performance and says optional extras so it looks like you need to mention them

I would think though that they would charge you considerably less than an aftermarket mod if you explain it's just a dealer original option.

Doubt they would cancel it

Although if it were me ide wait until renewal and get the renewal quote through. It will probably be to expensive anyway and you can shop around and include the MPE and other bits

#25 ·
Some insurance companies don't consider factory fitted options as extras, and some do. Either way they usually make it clear if you bother to check the additional info, so pick and choose what suits best. Personally I always choose those that aren't interested in factory options or you have to include everything from non standard flat paint etc..

I'm insured with LV for my M140i for ~ £250 pa and recently inquired about the cost of suspension mods and was quoted £32 pa increase. For me that is good as my premium is low, but ~ 13% increase is obviously proportionality significant the more you pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.