All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

What Mods for M135i

Post by Joe77 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi again guys,

First of all thank you for all your advice and support during my first post much appreciated.

Looks like the M135i is a solid car and I will be purchasing when my current insurance policy expires in july so not too long now =).

First of all the air intake system.

It appears just a panel filter replacement seems the best option (Afe)?? What are peoples opinions on this. Afe do a induction kit which looks quite good but is it worth it at nearly 400 quid?

Secondly the exhaust system.

A hot topic I know, i am looking for the best sounding exhaust? MPE seems to be the preference around here. Anyone had any experience with milltek or remus i do like the look of those and having had a milltek on my cooper s i know they are relatively decent.

Also decats/sports cats, are decats interchangable for example could I fit a wagner or say cobra decat to any system like on a cooper s.
For example i had a janspeed mani on my milltek catback and it fitted perfect is that the case with the M135i.

Third point is - I will be driving relatively sensibly most of the time with the odd blast on the straights and country roads.

How necessary is a diff? Or can it do without as I wont be seriously pushing the car by any means at all.

Lastly remaps.

Which is the best company.

I like the look of AET motorsport maps they seem to produce good power however they read from the hubs rather than the tyre/wheel which might have some influence.

I think also DMS seem to have good gains.

Any recommendations on this.

Thank you for your time guys and hopefully it wont be too long before im in my m135i

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: What Mods for M135i

Post by Joe77 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:49 pm

If anyone is looking to sell their M135I arpund july time please let me know modded is probably better. I should be test driving a couple soon to see if i prefer the auto or manual cheers again

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 am

I had a JB4 on my N55 135i and liked it, many are now using MHD.

For remapping, I'd recommend Jason at BW Chiptune. If you want an educated answer to your air filter/induction kit Qs, ask him.

viewforum.php?f=92

How much power are you hoping to get? You can get a consistent 370-380bhp without getting rid of your OE cat. You will need to upgrade the intercooler and charge pipe/s to do so. If you want much more, you will need a downpipe or high flow cat so that you can run higher boost.

I often wanted a proper diff in my car, but you can drive around the poor low speed traction. Much will depend on your driving style and what else you have done to sort out the suspension and geometry. If you propose to do any time on track, you'll be wanting a diff. If you go for an automatic and you like the buzz of the straight line acceleration, you probably won't care.

When you go test driving, you could experiment with the DTC button. In basic blonde mode, the computer will turn your throttle inputs down when it feels any loss of traction (very annoying). One push of the button allows some slip and was/is my normal driving setting. Press and hold will turn most of the nannies off, but leave the e-diff running (on the 135i). Be careful if it's wet!
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Toed64 wrote:I had a JB4 on my N55 135i and liked it, many are now using MHD.

For remapping, I'd recommend Jason at BW Chiptune. If you want an educated answer to your air filter/induction kit Qs, ask him.

viewforum.php?f=92

How much power are you hoping to get? You can get a consistent 370-380bhp without getting rid of your OE cat. You will need to upgrade the intercooler and charge pipe/s to do so. If you want much more, you will need a downpipe or high flow cat so that you can run higher boost.

I often wanted a proper diff in my car, but you can drive around the poor low speed traction. Much will depend on your driving style and what else you have done to sort out the suspension and geometry. If you propose to do any time on track, you'll be wanting a diff. If you go for an automatic and you like the buzz of the straight line acceleration, you probably won't care.

When you go test driving, you could experiment with the DTC button. In basic blonde mode, the computer will turn your throttle inputs down when it feels any loss of traction (very annoying). One push of the button allows some slip and was/is my normal driving setting. Press and hold will turn most of the nannies off, but leave the e-diff running (on the 135i). Be careful if it's wet!
Cheers dude much appreciated.

Jb4 looks good.

I think AET got 383 wheel horse power and 471ft/lb with standard intercooler.

Basically just a decat, itg filter and charge pipe upgrade which is crazy.

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 pm

Might do a track day unlikely just want something for a bit of a thrill now and then kind regards

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Cool induction air is very important, so whatever induction you choose, make sure that you have cold-air feed or you will lose power.

The N55 suffers significant heat soak because the OE intercooler is not really up to the job, especially when you turn the boost up - sitting at the lights on a hot day will heat up the charge air which dramatically saps power until you get the car moving again.

Someone who claims to be a BMW tuning expert presented me with an argument that the small OE intercooler recovers from heat soak faster than the Forge type - IME that's cr@p, a big intercooler makes a big difference.
Last edited by Toed64 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Yes for sure.

I think the standard mini ones recover quicker than the aftermarket variant

Tests have been done too

Pato Elosua

Post by Pato Elosua » Tue May 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Hey man, nice to see you looking into the M135i's. I drive a 2014 3 door one. My current setup is:
-Custom Decat
-Custom Straight pipe (pipes fitted in place of muffler and resonator)
-BMS intake
-JB4
-ER Chargepipe (Original one bursted before the tunning)

In my experience I would suggest you try going for a muffler delete before spending big money on an exhaust. The car sounds amazing with the muffler delete. A friend of mine drives a 235i and had a remus exhaust, as stupid as it might sound, when he heard my car he decided to do a muffler delete on his remus exhaust.. honestly that's how good it sounds! Another thing I'd like to mention is that I'm not sure why but my JB4 barely did any difference, I was expecting the big gains promised on their website. I tried going against an A45 and switched between stock, map 2 and map 5 and the difference was minimal. What I'm hoping to do next is go for the BM3 (Bootmod3) which is the option for flashing the DME instead of a piggy back tune (JB4). This way you can control more parameters of your engine and hopefully get more hp gains. As for the LSD, I've got to admit I haven't driven an LSD equipped car, but I can tell you I don't feel it's missing on my car. I've done a couple autocross events and even a track time attack and it felt great. The only time when I've felt that I could use it is when ever I'm goofing around and doing some doughnuts, sometimes you can feel how just one wheel starts spinning, but in any other occasion it feels good. You can even get some big drifts with the stock diff. I'll leave the link to a video I got featured in for my drifting in a "time attack" in which I just wanted to end my tyres lives and have some fun haha. Enjoy the process of finding a new car man!

1:00 - 2:37 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwqz5K26z_k&t=167s (note that at the time of the video I didn't have the decat yet)
1:29 https://vimeo.com/224885645

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Awesome cheers dude.

One i was looking at had the exhaust already.

Regards mapping i was gonna go with aet motorsport. They seem to be getting at least 380whp with there cars so 440ish?

GeoffCollins
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeoffCollins » Tue May 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Joe77 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 pm
Awesome cheers dude.

One i was looking at had the exhaust already.

Regards mapping i was gonna go with aet motorsport. They seem to be getting at least 380whp with there cars so 440ish?

Would definitely drive the car for a bit before doing all this stuff, find out what YOU think the car needs and not others,

I would say a must, as I'm sure you will find out, is suspension, wether it be springs or coilovers, the M135i needs lowering to keep it steady, you'll find it's very wallowy and feels slightly unstable.

As for map, maybe try JB4 first, as it is very safe, well developed and constantly being updated, or maybe MHD if you fancy a flash.

Exhaust, I'd agree with Pato, I'd go custom rear back box delete first, its cheap, and sound great, but with a slight bit of drone at certain speeds that you wouldn't get with a properly developed and tested CAT back. As we all know removing the CAT is illegal, will cause an MOT failure and void your insurance, so maybe a sports cat is a better option when you do re-map the car.

As for the LSD, people swear by it, but if you haven't driven an M135i with one, you won't notice until your on track or pushing to the limits, although putting 400+whp down to one wheel isn't ideal. As is the turn in, which is why people put M4 LCA's and TS on the car, adds a bit more camber on the front wheels and really sorts out the turn in :)

Just some ideas, but I'd say drive it and see what you think :)
M135i (2014 Manual) - Custom Stainless Exhaust, JB4, BMS Intake, M4 LCA, Eibach Pro's, Cades Bern Wheels, Reiger Diffuser, Maxton Splitter, Double Slat Grills, M4 Mirror Caps

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Geoff,

Really appreciate your input mate.

I will definitely be driving the car for a good few months before any modding commences for sure, because as you say I will definitely need to get used to the power and rear wheel drive for sure.

Exhaust and induction is definitely getting done as thats something that ticks the boxes for me it just happens so that the car im looking at has the exhaust already (BCS)

I believe it has springs and spacers too i will double check.

Regarding the Jb4 do you think this is the best bet. AET are very good regarding fords yes its not a bmw but their products on fords is next to none really sp thoyght id give those a go.

Ive also heard good things about wrench studios in haye they use bm3 im not tpo sure what that is im still researching..

Kind regards =)

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Regarding the cat yes removing it is illegal, its always a hot topic on insurance, as I insured my decat/manifold on the cooper s.

But as i understand if it doesnt pass a mot then the car isnt insured. But i can swap those out easily sports cat and decat. Depends how loud it is will have to give it a whirl. If its ridiculous ill probs go with just what you guys said and scrap the map as well as thered not be much point with just exhaust and filter unless it needs a remap that is

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”