Baby BMW Forum banner

Looking for better brakes, too many options.

4K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  Zombie_Head 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I spent last week at the Nürburgring, took a safety and DE course there, since i have never been to the track before and i needed to know my limits as well as the car's limits before hitting the track.

They showed me some serious braking maneuvers in extreme situations (on wet, dry and icy surfaces). Also a quick course on braking on track (as hard as possible, as late as possible for as short time as possible). It was a blast for sure.

Took 2 laps introduction to the Nordschleife, watching out for the bumps, braking zones etc.

The car is 100% stock, just fully services (all new oils, fluids, filters, plugs, standard brakes all round etc) so the base car was there.

Went to the GP track, took it easy the first session (15 minutes) to get a feel of the car and track. Second session i started pushing a bit more (later braking, and harder). Third session i wanted to push the brakes, so even later and harder braking. Everything was fine, no overheating, no errors, no warning etc.

Did 2 laps of the Nordschleife, same thing i just et everyone pass me and learned the track.

At the end of the week, i did a total of 7 sessions (15 minutes each) on the GP track and 1 lap in a rented 218i and 3 laps in the 125i on the Nordschleife.

The brakes were fried, the front brakes were running too hot. Replaced the factory pads (front) with EBC greenstuff to test them and replaced the fluid with higher temp one. That worked fine till the car started shaking violently due to overheating from the EBC pads.

The car has the M Aero pack, so there is air coming in the front, i also removed the factory brake shield removed and installed F20 1 series style ons with scoops to help guide air onto the brakes and hud.

I am looking for something that will aid in cooling those brakes, when you are constantly braking as hard as possible from high speeds to low speeds, lots of heat builds up the front.

BMW Performance brakes i heard are not really an "upgrade" so to speak for the 125i. Yes you get stopping power but they are heavy and some people reported cracked pistons again due to heat. Some people suggested getting 130i/330i/Z4 caliper mounting brackets in the front and running the 330x24mm discs at the front, which also frees up the option to run stock calipers and early Z4 lightweight 2 piece BMW performance discs.

Others suggested to just get the 330i/335i caliper carriers and run the big 348x30mm discs instead, but i think that will cause some clearance issues with the 262 18" wheels.

I can always keep the brakes stock/factory and get some slotted/drilled fronts with new solid rear discs and redstuff all round.

My goal? it is a 90% street car, once a month i will be hitting Nürburgring/GP track and taking advanced courses in DE (i wish to get into motorsports), so i am looking for a compromise between daily all weather drivability and reliable brakes on the track.

I would like to hear some suggestions for my needs, since there is a lot one can do, heck one can even go for E9x 330 calipers all round or 335i calipers or even F30 style brembo 4 pots in the fronts, so options are a lot but which one suits me most without breaking the bank?

I think going Mtec discs in the front grooved or grooved/drilled to aid in cooling and help release gas buildup faster with EBC reds all round.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advanced.

See less See more
#28 ·
marco_polo said:
M3 front arms would be my priority. Save yourself a fortune in front tyres, plus all the dynamic improvements of course.
According to my KW installer, he was able to get -1.7 camber front and -1.5 rear. I do not see the alignment pin, he may have removed it when he ordered new mounts front and rear.

Those M3 arms will add another -0.75 camber up front if i am not mistaken, that will be a bit much on a mostly street car no?

#29 ·
-1.7 should be fine.

If front seats are a bit expensive/troublesome, have a look into CG Locks to hold you in place. That's what most of us do on track, works like a 2 point lap harness.

A cheap test to see if a CG Lock could work for you is to buy a plastic seatbelt clamp (designed for Baby seats). They can be picked up for next to nothing:

#31 ·
Stumps said:
Hi there,

I can totally reccomend Castrol SRF brake fluid it is amazing.
This along with the right pads will really do what you are after.
It's not cheap stuff but it really is good.
Good luck finding your right set up.
I went for 130i caliper carriers, DS Performance pads and larger 130i front discs with SRF fluid.

Zero issues.

#32 ·
May i ask, if you can recommend other used part breakers from the UK?

I am looking for some used wheels, can not seem to find anyone locally in Germany having the ones i am searching for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.