Baby BMW Forum banner

Carbon Fibre advice

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Stumps 
#1 ·
Anyone on here worked with carbon fibre? Have a couple of questions about the resin on the part I picked up!
Thanks

#3 ·
AndyBish135i said:
What do you need to know???

Have this kind of poor finish and wondering what the best way to fix it is, my thoughts are wet sand and another layer of resin?

#4 ·
I wouldn't bother mate, that's total sh1te!!!

If you've bought this off a business seller I'd be firing it straight back for a full refund :eek:

If that's not possible then yeah, sand back to smooth surface and re-apply layers of resin.

#5 ·
AndyBish135i said:
I wouldn't bother mate, that's total sh1te!!!

If you've bought this off a business seller I'd be firing it straight back for a full refund :eek:

If that's not possible then yeah, sand back to smooth surface and re-apply layers of resin.
Nope I got it from a guy who made it but tried the resin himself! Got it for quite cheap so I thought i'd make it into a little project, should I use epoxy resin or gel coat? What grade sandpaper would you use mate?

#6 ·
Jeeeeeeez

120grit wet/dry sand paper on the bumpy bits... and make your way up the grades... once you're at 2000 grit, you can then move onto a Polish....

Easycomposites is the best place to get the resin from....

Just don't sand into the weave

Material cost... you're looking at £50 to fix that... excluding time

#7 ·
OK, so you'll need to get back to a smooth surface without damaging the carbon fibre itself... although it looks like you've got some areas that are barely wetted out.
400 grit will take you a loooong time but will be safer than using something course and blasting through the resin too quickly.
Then you'll want a good quality epoxy resin system with UV stabilisers to give you a finished surface or it'll go yellow over time...
Then 2000 grit and a good polish :wink:
Good luck 👍

^yep what Dan said :lol2:

#8 ·
Dan116i said:
... excluding time
^ this..

It's going to take a lot of time to bring that up to scratch. If you're up for the challenge and have some free time to use, you should be able to improve on it. (And pictures if you do go ahead with it!)

#9 ·
Thanks for the help guys! It does look like a lot of work but I'll be chuffed if I can get it looking nice!

Is this what I'm looking for? Can anyone recommend a youtube guide for applying the resin?
Cheers!

#10 ·
AndyBish135i said:
OK, so you'll need to get back to a smooth surface without damaging the carbon fibre itself... although it looks like you've got some areas that are barely wetted out.
400 grit will take you a loooong time but will be safer than using something course and blasting through the resin too quickly.
Then you'll want a good quality epoxy resin system with UV stabilisers to give you a finished surface or it'll go yellow over time...
Then 2000 grit and a good polish :wink:
Good luck 👍

^yep what Dan said :lol2:
Hi Andy, Do you think 1kg of the XCR resin would be enough for a diffuser? Dont want to get too much of the stuff either! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.