Baby BMW Forum banner

BC Racing Coilovers - Good/Bad

7K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  teun 
#1 ·
I have heard mixed reviews from BC racing coilovers, has anyone had any experience?

Should I buy or avoid, I could save up a touch more and get the KW, but want to know about BC racing, please do not just say get the KW because if BC are just as good whats the point

#4 ·
Sonic1506 said:
GeoffCollins said:
I have heard mixed reviews from BC racing coilovers, has anyone had any experience?

Should I buy or avoid, I could save up a touch more and get the KW, but want to know about BC racing, please do not just say get the KW because if BC are just as good whats the point
I had BC's they were noisy and knocked, had the shock replaced and it was fixed for a few months until they knocked again.

They handled well and gave me a lot of confidence in driving the car hard.
Doesn't sound good then :lol2: :lol2:

#6 ·
Sonic1506 said:
GeoffCollins said:
Doesn't sound good then :lol2: :lol2:
Good and bad tbh. I changed to Airlift 3P Air Ride after anyway, offered me more flexibility for being as low as I wanted while being able to raise it for speed bumps.
I'm just looking for better handling, not a massive fan of air on air cars!

Do you think the BC's would last a couple of years until I go for some KW's?

#7 ·
GeoffCollins said:

Mine knocked from the get go, so not sure on yours. Knocking is common on them from what I've read.

Personally, I'd save up and just go direct for what you want, becomes a waste of money/time/effort otherwise.

For the record, my air setup handled very very well. Just as good, if not better than when I was on coilovers and was so much easier to use/adjust.

#8 ·
GeoffCollins said:

Mine knocked from the get go, so not sure on yours. Knocking is common on them from what I've read.

Personally, I'd save up and just go direct for what you want, becomes a waste of money/time/effort otherwise.

For the record, my air setup handled very very well. Just as good, if not better than when I was on coilovers and was so much easier to use/adjust.

#9 ·
docwra said:
Nothin wrong with BC's but if you spend more youll get a better product. Ive used a lot of coilovers on a lot of cars and Id recommend Meister R GT1's, performance and spec is similar to Ohlins or KW but they are a lot cheaper.
Thanks man, I'll have a look into them :)

#10 ·
BC stuff can be ok but it seems hit and miss with quality like all far east suspension including MeisterR stuff, personally i would save a little more for something better like KW, Koni, Ohlins etc

#11 ·
THETYRANT said:
BC stuff can be ok but it seems hit and miss with quality like all far east suspension including MeisterR stuff, personally i would save a little more for something better like KW, Koni, Ohlins etc
Koni seems to be quite reasonably priced? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing :lol2:

#12 ·
GeoffCollins said:
Koni seems to be quite reasonably priced? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing :lol2:
Koni Sport Adjustable dampers with suitable springs makes a good fastroad setup, speak to SootyVrs on here about them as he ran on a M135i/140i before he got his M2

#13 ·
THETYRANT said:
GeoffCollins said:
Koni Sport Adjustable dampers with suitable springs makes a good fastroad setup, speak to SootyVrs on here about them as he ran on a M135i/140i before he got his M2
I will give hime a message, have you any experience with the ST XA coilovers?

#14 ·
GeoffCollins said:
I will give hime a message, have you any experience with the ST XA coilovers?
I dont but the ST stuff is made by KW so should be decent enough :)

#17 ·
THETYRANT said:
Meister GT1 are made in UK mate, quality is as good as anything else Ive seen and their customer service if here was any problem is exceptional.

For me they perform as well as Ohlins/KW, you know Ive been around the block a couple of times and know what Im on about.

#18 ·
docwra said:
THETYRANT said:
Meister GT1 are made in UK mate, quality is as good as anything else Ive seen and their customer service if here was any problem is exceptional.

For me they perform as well as Ohlins/KW, you know Ive been around the block a couple of times and know what Im on about.
MeisterR GT1 are not made in the UK people are just led to believe that :)... they are made in far east then Jerrick says stripped and revalved with a different piston etc here in the UK, ive read good things about them but not tried myself as at near Ohlins money I just went Ohlins for proven results.

Main issues ive seen with far east made kits is knocking and damper body breakages due to weak design/poor materials, Ive ran several sets of BC on my old MX5 trackcar and were ideal for price point/usage but the big difference was that car has double wishbone so damper and spring are not part of structural strength, on BMW etc the fronts using Mcpherson strut means the body of damper needs to be very strong as its holding the wheel on, ive seen quite a few break on these setups as metal has been so thin in critical areas.

Pays your money takes your chance but for me I wouldn't run far east made stuff on a heavy BMW :)

#21 ·
#22 ·
#23 ·
GeoffCollins said:
The ST's are what I ended up looking at, but now thinking (after all the saying I don't want KW) I think I'm going to go for the KW V2 :lol2: :lol2:
Haha yes for the money the ST kit is good value, if you can stretch to the KW then in longterm its worth it for the stainless body but if looked after/cleaned etc the steel body on ST kits should be ok as well.

#24 ·
THETYRANT said:
GeoffCollins said:
The ST's are what I ended up looking at, but now thinking (after all the saying I don't want KW) I think I'm going to go for the KW V2 :lol2: :lol2:
Haha yes for the money the ST kit is good value, if you can stretch to the KW then in longterm its worth it for the stainless body but if looked after/cleaned etc the steel body on ST kits should be ok as well.
I've really just been reading reviews of the ST XA, and like you say, as long as you keep them well maintained, they are basically the KWV2, so maybe I will go for the XA

Do you know if you can buy the ST XTA with the top mounts for the F21? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

#25 ·
Doesn't look like they offer the XTA for F series chassis, shame as for E series cars it makes a nice package with the adjustable topmounts.

You could try emailing/calling them see what they say it might be possible.

#26 ·
THETYRANT said:
Doesn't look like they offer the XTA for F series chassis, shame as for E series cars it makes a nice package with the adjustable topmounts.

You could try emailing/calling them see what they say it might be possible.
I'm pretty sure my current top mounts are shot, so will have to get new ones anyway, definitely worth a call, thanks for the help though :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.