Baby BMW Forum banner

M135i vs m140?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Blind Pugh 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm seriously looking at ditching my 525d for something with more poke and fun. The m135i looks to me the best value but the 140 shadow seems a good option allbeit quite a bit more.

I've driven a manual 135 a year after they came out and it was very capable. I recall it was quite cramped though.

What are thoughts between the 135 and 140? I'd go auto and 5 dr. Prefer cruise, hk, xenon and adaptive. I believe shadow comes with most of these options? I can get 135 for c18 and shadow for c23. Is it with the extra?

What average mpg do you get?

Also I'd probably leave it standard but see motech seem to be the place to go for tuning. If I don't get adaptive are the eibach worth the money? Also what is best to get more power without screwing the engine?

Cheers

#2 ·
Bluespark or JB+, 5 min job, best bang for the buck and it's as much as the chassis can cope with tbh. My other cars are a 911 turbo and GTR, our M135i will keep with both quite easily, unless the traffic light grand Prix is important?

HK is not an important option for me, just fit the tweeters after, most people disconnect the dash speaker anyway.

Pro nav and black panel display are a must.

Heated front seats are a must. I like folding mirrors. I like the adaptive lights too, they're cool. I would have liked a sunroof and leccy seats as me and my wife drive it, parking sensors, you want those imo.

#6 ·
The M135i sounds better and revs better.

If you're going down the modified route then it makes more sense to go for the M135i. The M140i is slightly faster than a later M135i, but after tuning both cars the gap goes.

I'd go for HK, Pro Nav and heated seats as a minimum.

Most of the options add to the car. Dimming and folding mirrors are handy. The adaptive headlights really do work well in dark nights.

#7 ·
Kerr said:
The M140i is slightly faster than a later M135i, but after tuning both cars the gap goes.
I think that's a fairly subjective statement. By this I mean there's 2 perspectives:-

1. Straight line speed/grunt :-

Given the ease with which an M140i can now be tuned to deliver 100-200kph mid to high 7s still on stock turbo and pump fuel ie modified DP and an OBD remap only, an M135i n55 engine would need probably 3 x times the amount of cash thrown at it tuned to get anywhere close to these tuned B58 figures.

B58 mid range torque in standard trim is a step up from the n55. Whilst I agree the n55 revs harder and sounds better doing it, most B58 remaps address the top end so as the car's mid range gets much stronger and winds out faster to the redline.

2. Fast road/track days

Its fair to say that, around a circuit, without throwing some cash at the F2x chassis, a tuned F2x B58 with grunt everywhere is unlikely to be faster but probably harder to drive than a tuned F2x n55....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.