Baby BMW Forum banner

Custom intake done - Fogs removed + air feed

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jonwilli 
#1 ·
My car was having Eibach Sportlines fitted today by a local BMW tech that lives around the corner. Whilst it was in his capable hands I asked him to remove the fogs and code it for me. By the way, it handles like a go-kart now :D and sits much better!

So as I was twiddling me thumbs, so I decided to get busy with my air box. It took some time but actually think it turned out well.

My aim was to basically cut out where the Simota had, behind the headlight. Also I bought an air feed pipe to make sure the filter gets plenty to suck on.

Results - went for a thrash and my butt dyno defo notices a difference. Picks up quicker and smoother. Now I havn't put in the pipe yet but when I got home, I put my hand in the engine bay, which was red hot and then behind the light. HUGE difference in temp. Think taking out the fog has instantly allowed cooler air to circulate. I have put the lid back on as I have made some ram scoops. Still got a good sound as there is a gaping hole in the box. So very pleased :spotman:

Anyway, here are the pics...

Doesn't look very neat but actually nice and smooth with no sharp edges.

See less See more
#2 ·
The airbox mod was something I was thinking about if it made the right noises on mine when I removed the lid but as it didn't make that much difference to mine (BMWP) I've decided not to go down that route.

I expect the std. filter there must have been a bigger noise advantage :)

Not sure if I like the missing fogs as it looks like............ the fogs are missing :D

Did you not get any error codes when you removed them? or are they still connected but hidden away somewhere?

#3 ·
I must say your work on the airbox looks quite neat! Well done, i'm sure it performs and sounds as well as the Simota.

I'm still nervous to tackle the original parts, if I could find a spare airbox, then I would gladly attack it :D

Now you need to post a thread about how your car looks with the new suspension.....

#4 ·
sootyvrs said:
The airbox mod was something I was thinking about if it made the right noises on mine when I removed the lid but as it didn't make that much difference to mine (BMWP) I've decided not to go down that route.

I expect the std. filter there must have been a bigger noise advantage :)

Not sure if I like the missing fogs as it looks like............ the fogs are missing :D

Did you not get any error codes when you removed them? or are they still connected but hidden away somewhere?
Well, don't think of the mod for sound then but more air :) as I mentioned, it is much cooler in that area without the fog in.

It has been coded for the fogs, advantage of knowing a BMW tech with a recovery van, as he has the computer etc.

gavsadler said:
I must say your work on the airbox looks quite neat! Well done, i'm sure it performs and sounds as well as the Simota.

I'm still nervous to tackle the original parts, if I could find a spare airbox, then I would gladly attack it :D

Now you need to post a thread about how your car looks with the new suspension.....
Thanks mate, I just took my time with a dremel type tool.

I have a spare box on its way so I was happy to hack ;-)

Just waititng for suspension to settle and get ti tracked then I will post pics of car. But rid is fantastic and handles SO much better.

#5 ·
This morning I decided to fit an air feed pipe. I bought a cheap one just to see how it would go.

The pipe I got was 70mm which I thought would be too small as the fog light hole is 90mm (I think).

Once you take the air box out, it look like a simple job of just sliding the pipe down, but no. The horn gets it the bloody way :rollseyes: So I managed to remove this by simply undoing 1 bolt. Then my pipe was too small and look silly behind the fog hole.

So after scratching my head, I put the horn back on. Then I decided to cut the pipe shorter and pull one end down to the fog whole close enough to catch lots of air but so you couldn't see it. It took some yanking to squeeze past the horn but it actually holds it in place well.

Anyway, here is a pic from the top. As you can see not a pretty pipe but testing for now. :)

Will get a pick from the fog in a bit.

#6 ·
Did you get the M3 parts fitted as well?

#7 ·
looking good. i was only going to remove one fog light but after seeing yours i looks kinda cool with both out. was the arch lining in the way or does the hole go straight into the engine bay. i was going to get out and do mine today but i have a real bad hangover so it can wait till next week. how much would your bloke charge to code for the removal of the fogs? i'll take them out i just need it re coded

#8 ·
No arch lining mate, it goes straight up. There is a nice gap so I am going to put some sort of scoop in there,

I'm sure he will mate, but when he coded it the fault code came back so he is going to speak to dealer and sort for me this week.

I have just returned from Bluewater shopping with the ball and chain. My butt dyno is saying its pulling much better, even the wife mentioned it. Again I have checked the engine bay temp with my very accurate temp gauge hand and the filter was really cool compared to the hot engine. So I am confident that the feed is working.

#14 ·
Has anyone else tried a similar intake on the 130 since EvoGlynn? I have an OEM airbox in the garage and thought I might give this is a go. Would use a 80mm aluminium trumpet in place of the fog light with a 80mm feed to the cut out area of the intake box. I would probably tint the drivers side fog light so that is looked similar to the black feed to the intake. I doubt this adds any power but may help the engine rev easier and could give a nice induction sound. Thoughts?

I forgot to mention I already have a Performance air filter fitted and a Mishimoto silicone intake tube (between MAF and throttle body).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.