My Suspension quest! 130i

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by THETYRANT » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:04 pm

More Camber and castor will help get some M3 LCA on there or some of my Camber plates.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Will look into that as I want to get the full SuperPro bush kit installed, would be a good time to do M3 bits and camber plates...
120d RS (RoadSport) Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, BMWP Style 269, PS4, Professional Sat-Nav, iPod integration kit, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

vhenax

Post by vhenax » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:09 pm

hello ,
so i have been thinking of finally upgrading my suspensions, currently i have msport still, what would you recomand for someone who does 3/4 trackdays per year ? i wanted to buy the b1 from birds so i have read few pages of this thread and i tought you were happy with those but then in the last page or something, you said birds stuff are overpriced and not worth it.

basicly i want a suspension that is better than the msport on track but without sacrificing too much comfort if that s possible
thanks

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 pm

I’ve got the birds b1 kit and I’ve been 90% happy with it for the last few years ,but the rear is a bit to soft for me , I’m pretty sure I’m going to get a set of kw v2’s but would like to spend some time in a kw equipped car .. any volunteers?
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

AndyBish135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndyBish135i » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Fancy a peddle round Castle Combe on the 17th Oct Mark??? :wink:

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:10 pm

AndyBish135i wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 pm
Fancy a peddle round Castle Combe on the 17th Oct Mark??? :wink:
Would love to bish but flat out with work at the minute appreciate the offer tho :wink:
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:10 am

After spending hours reading though the American forums I’m torn between the Koni’s on eibachs or the kw v2’s
Decisions decisions
There seems to be 2 different part number for the konis tho which has confused me slightly?
It’s annoying as I’m 90% happy with what I have but I just want a bit more mainly the rear , I’ve tried different spring combos which have eliminated the push understeer but essentially they did not suit the damper and made the ride to firm,

I would ideally like to take a ride out in cars equipped with said suspension kind of back to back with what I have now.

Also Ian knows he’s apples and is pleased with the konis so it kind of helps my decision,

And before you say ohlins they are outside my budget :wink:

vhenax

Post by vhenax » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:05 pm

markhurley wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 pm
I’ve got the birds b1 kit and I’ve been 90% happy with it for the last few years ,but the rear is a bit to soft for me , I’m pretty sure I’m going to get a set of kw v2’s but would like to spend some time in a kw equipped car .. any volunteers?
Is the rear softer than the stock msport or the same?

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 pm

vhenax wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:05 pm
markhurley wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 pm
Is the rear softer than the stock msport or the same?
The rear is a fair bit softer than m sport , the car is very good on them but I’m just looking for a change/ upgrade

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:34 pm

vhenax wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:09 pm
hello ,
so i have been thinking of finally upgrading my suspensions, currently i have msport still, what would you recomand for someone who does 3/4 trackdays per year ? i wanted to buy the b1 from birds so i have read few pages of this thread and i tought you were happy with those but then in the last page or something, you said birds stuff are overpriced and not worth it.

basicly i want a suspension that is better than the msport on track but without sacrificing too much comfort if that s possible
thanks
Birds kit is ok but not worth the extra cost over b12 kit imo, which is probably best value upgrade many are happy with, i dind Koni sport dampers with either msport, eibach or bmwp springs along with new bumpstops is my favourite road/occasional track setup. Springs depends how much comfort you want with msport being softest then eibach and firmest bmwp ones.

B12 it's a nice easy upgrade as comes with dampers, springs and bumpstops but I feel it's a touch firm at front for roads around me, koni is much nicer ride I think and can be tweaked up if you want firmer.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:18 pm

As a comparison the birds kit uses re valved b6 dampers with softer custom springs ( some people say they are just b6 dampers ? The re valving bit is probably a reason to charge loads of money ! )
The b12 kit uses shorter b8 dampers with eibach springs

I’ve driven both and the birds kit does ride loads better than the b12 , the biggest criticisms of the birds kit is .. the rear is too soft which can make the car push understeer mid corner if you get on the power to early the car basically squats down on the soft rear springs and there for raises the front making it go light and push on slightly, it’s not that bad but it’s noticeable.
And at low speed the car never really settles so it can feel
a bit choppy, again nothing really bad it’s just something I’ve picked up on.
On a plus note it is very comfortable , it’s firm but never crashy and once up to speed it starts to come alive on a recent trip to the Lake District the car was very good it really came in to it’s own! What I will add is that this kit really benefits from the stiffer arb’s it almost eliminates the issue with the soft rear springs but just needs to be a tad firmer.
I’ve tried firmer rear springs which eliminated the flaw but I wasn’t 100% with the way the car rode it was a bit to jiggly but boy was it good !

B12 kit is basically half the money and is very good value for money
It ride’s well but the front is too firm and I found it starts to get quit crashy when the rds get rough .. nothing like m sport damping but just a bit to much for daily use , on the plus side it handles the smooth rds very well and rear end is great all be it a touch to firm but not as firm as the front end,on a budget I would happily purchase this kit it’s defo more focused than the birds kit and would be better on track but you do lose out on comfort which could get tiring.

So basically I’m looking for something kind of in between so if anyone has stuff to add I would appreciate it also if anyone has experience with the kw v1,2,3 kit it would be a big help as it’s something I’m tempted to try next.

Hope this helps people out making desisions , Ian I can move this to a separate thread if you don’t want it on this one.

Thanks

vhenax

Post by vhenax » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:56 pm

thank you both for the answers, 2 more things, what s the difference between the b12 pro kit and the sportline ? is it only the lower ride that you get with the sportline? also @thetyrant since you mentioned the KONIs, would it be better to get the KONI sport kit considering that they have adjustable dampening, right ?

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:22 am

vhenax wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:56 pm
thank you both for the answers, 2 more things, what s the difference between the b12 pro kit and the sportline ? is it only the lower ride that you get with the sportline? also @thetyrant since you mentioned the KONIs, would it be better to get the KONI sport kit considering that they have adjustable dampening, right ?
Sportline kits uses the Sportline spring kit which is very low and hence gives very little useable Damper travel, smooth roads only I think, Eibach prokit or B12 kit with it is much better but I think stock Msport is plenty low enough personally

Koni Sports being adjustable allow you to tweak damping to your liking, fronts are easy to adjust while on car but rears need to be removed which is a pain, but not a massive job just drive it for awhile after install before refitting interior panels to make removing to adjust if required easier.
Ive not tried the springs Koni supply in their sport kit (just buy damper separate) but think they are meant to be a bit lower than stock but never seen direct comparison.
--

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 am

markhurley wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:18 pm
As a comparison the birds kit uses re valved b6 dampers with softer custom springs ( some people say they are just b6 dampers ? The re valving bit is probably a reason to charge loads of money ! )
The b12 kit uses shorter b8 dampers with eibach springs

I’ve driven both and the birds kit does ride loads better than the b12 , the biggest criticisms of the birds kit is .. the rear is too soft which can make the car push understeer mid corner if you get on the power to early the car basically squats down on the soft rear springs and there for raises the front making it go light and push on slightly, it’s not that bad but it’s noticeable.
And at low speed the car never really settles so it can feel
a bit choppy, again nothing really bad it’s just something I’ve picked up on.
On a plus note it is very comfortable , it’s firm but never crashy and once up to speed it starts to come alive on a recent trip to the Lake District the car was very good it really came in to it’s own! What I will add is that this kit really benefits from the stiffer arb’s it almost eliminates the issue with the soft rear springs but just needs to be a tad firmer.
I’ve tried firmer rear springs which eliminated the flaw but I wasn’t 100% with the way the car rode it was a bit to jiggly but boy was it good !

B12 kit is basically half the money and is very good value for money
It ride’s well but the front is too firm and I found it starts to get quit crashy when the rds get rough .. nothing like m sport damping but just a bit to much for daily use , on the plus side it handles the smooth rds very well and rear end is great all be it a touch to firm but not as firm as the front end,on a budget I would happily purchase this kit it’s defo more focused than the birds kit and would be better on track but you do lose out on comfort which could get tiring.

So basically I’m looking for something kind of in between so if anyone has stuff to add I would appreciate it also if anyone has experience with the kw v1,2,3 kit it would be a big help as it’s something I’m tempted to try next.

Hope this helps people out making desisions , Ian I can move this to a separate thread if you don’t want it on this one.

Thanks
I would like to try a stock B6 damper on car or dyno compared to current Birds kit damper to see what is different, as you say B8/12 setup is a touch harsher but I think some of that might be down to shorter/different internal front bumpstop on B1 kit but its just a feeling ive never opened it up to have a look.
--

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:27 am

vhenax wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:56 pm
I can't judge the Bilsteins, but I can vouch for Koni Sports. My 130i has most of THETYRANT's suspension recommendations: MSport springs, Koni Sport dampers and Koni bump stops, M3 LCAs, THE TYRANT's camber plates, Nolathane rear subframe bush inserts and an M3 vert front ARB...and it's lovely! Thank you Ian!

It's compliant, but relatively firm (dampers set pretty soft), but no longer crashy, it turns in nicely and is sweetly adjustable mid corner. The M3 ARB has been the most recent mod and I like it, but it has made the ride a tad more jiggly down the lanes around here. I fitted both M3 ARBs to my 135i and liked it, but I did lose some low speed grip out of corners: the standard rear ARB is quite feeble, whereas the M3 item is really quite stiff. I don't feel the need to mess with the back end of the 130i at the mo.

I would recommend the Koni Sport shocks and shorter bump stops with standard MSport springs. The M3 LCAs are a massive improvement over the standard arms: they pretty much delete the understeer of the standard car. Rear subframe bush inserts are cheap and easy to fit...and almost stop the back end squirming.
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”