Baby BMW Forum banner

E82 best value for money suspension upgrade

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  bodhi 
#1 ·
Hi

Had my car jacked up over the weekend to fit my milltek exhaust and found the rear shocks are both leaking and I have my MOT in a few months (crazy how the car still drives well but I imagine it'll drive even better once replaced...)

So I want a nice drop - nothing OTT, read about the eibach pro kit? But what about shocks? I'm obviously going to be replacing front and rear :)

#3 ·
Koni FSDs + Eibachs

#5 ·
Above B12 kit is a good move :)....plenty of options out there just depends what you want to spend, also dont go any lower than the Eibach Pro springs (as supplied in B12 kit) as otherwise it will handle and ride terrible!

#6 ·
Yes cause your bump-stops are stopping the FSDs from working. They start messing with frequency. It's frequency selective damping in the FSDs. Put in soft SE bumpstops. If it's potholes don't use harder shortened springs. Use softer bigger springs so that the spring can unravel and remain in contact with road...

#7 ·
As above unless you change bumpstops to something shorter to allow more travel then FSD dampers dont work correctly same as stock ones, still ive tried FSD as well and didnt like them as much as the Koni Sport Adjustables :) Im now on Ohlins which is a whole other planet :D

#10 ·
Sam_M said:
marco_polo said:
B12 kit, Eibach Pro's and matched Bilstein Dampers.

Have a goose on eBay.de for best prices (unless Brexit has screwed the exchange rate).
€6-700 or there abouts, not bad even with the post brexit increase

I bought an Eibach/Bilstein "komfort kit" (B4 dampers & Pro springs) from these guys last summer for £281 (delivered in 3 days) but I think the £/€ has buggered any potential bargains now.

Didn't fit the springs, just B4's with new bumpstops for a significant improvement in ride/handling. Still got the brand new boxed springs if anyone wants a set cheap.

#12 ·
You can buy the B4 stock replacement dampers pretty cheap here in UK as well, i think even Demon Tweeks had them at decent money when i was looking, i had these for awhile on my old car as well for awhile and good budget setup.

Ian

#14 ·
THETYRANT said:
You can buy the B4 stock replacement dampers pretty cheap here in UK as well, i think even Demon Tweeks had them at decent money when i was looking, i had these for awhile on my old car as well for awhile and good budget setup.

Ian
It was your epic suspension thread that lead me to the B4 and shorter BMWP bumpstops. :thumbs:
Great set up for the money, especially if you DIY install.

#16 ·
My 125i could currently do with some suspension bits to replace some very soft front shocks - car has done 126k so was probably going to refresh what I can to make it drive properly again. The car is used every day to commute up and down the M6, however I occasionally take the back roads home and would like to sort out the pogo-ing as much as possible, but don't want to get into the realms of coilovers, etc, so was thinking:

New M-Sport Dampers
Eibach Pro Kit
M-Performance Bump Stops

But had a couple of questions:

- Will the 30mm drop cause issues considering I'm running 255/35 at the rear?
- Are the BMWP Bumbp Stops still available in the UK? Have been struggling to find any.
- How does the Birds Spring Kit compare to the Eibach?
- Anything else I've missed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.