THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E8x Camber plate project

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Replied :)

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 am

Hoping to get a chance to install these this weekend. Is it easy enough to tap out the top mount studs? Any special tools required?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 am

bjt wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 am
Hoping to get a chance to install these this weekend. Is it easy enough to tap out the top mount studs? Any special tools required?

Ive done a few now and a short sharp tap on stud while suspension is loaded to make sure its held firm and they came out easily.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Started installing these earlier, I found this spacer plate in between my top mount and the underside of the strut tower. Is this meant to be there? Can't find it on Realoem. There's also a paper gasket between the spacer and top mount.Image

E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Yes some cars have them, both my 130's did but neither 135 had them, its just a ride height packer bmw fitted so can be discarded when you fit my plates or if you want another 5mm height you can refit on top of camber plate.

Ian
--

Poormans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Poormans » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 pm

So that means no noticeable ride height increase for the camber plates.. that's excellent!
shooting brake

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am

Cool, yep I left the spacers out. Got the plates installed, made a meal of the first side but the other was quick.
I dropped a washer into the spring cup and also had a hex socket break on me which was a mare!

I found it quite tricky to torque down the plate screws as the top mount is spinning all the time, imagine this is easier with coilovers as there will be enough room to get a ratchet on the nuts. What sort of torque needs to go on these? The top mount nuts take 25 lb/ft but found it impossible to get that on the plate nuts due to clearance and the top mount spinning.

Anyway all done and looking forward to trying them out :D

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 am

bjt wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am
Cool, yep I left the spacers out. Got the plates installed, made a meal of the first side but the other was quick.
I dropped a washer into the spring cup and also had a hex socket break on me which was a mare!

I found it quite tricky to torque down the plate screws as the top mount is spinning all the time, imagine this is easier with coilovers as there will be enough room to get a ratchet on the nuts. What sort of torque needs to go on these? The top mount nuts take 25 lb/ft but found it impossible to get that on the plate nuts due to clearance and the top mount spinning.

Anyway all done and looking forward to trying them out :D
Haha yes 2nd time is always easier, all bolts should be torqued to 25lb maximum and its a bit fiddly getting in for some but not had an issue myself, if your not sure you got them on tight make sure to check them again after a few miles to ensure they haven't come loose.

Ian
--

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 am

Yep will do. Tbh it was a lot easier after I abandoned the big torque wrench and just went for "FT" setting by hand.

Just a thought, for future versions you might want to consider using studs in the bottom of each plate to attach to the strut top mount, would make it a lot easier to tighten them by going across the stut to prevent it rotating. Studs would need to be dead on straight to fit through the top mounts holes though I guess.
Last edited by bjt on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am

Definitely noticing the additional bite on turn in this week. I like it :D

Wheels now look a bit sunken in the arches, any ideas what size spacers would work?
Stock 208M wheels, M3 LCAs, Eibach Pro Kit springs. Before the camber plates I would rub the inner arch lip with 5mm spacers so I had to take them off.
5mm spacer should be OK now, anyone running anything larger? I think the choice would either be a 5mm slip on or 10/12mm hubcentric.

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:15 am

bjt wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am
Definitely noticing the additional bite on turn in this week. I like it :D

Wheels now look a bit sunken in the arches, any ideas what size spacers would work?
Stock 208M wheels, M3 LCAs, Eibach Pro Kit springs. Before the camber plates I would rub the inner arch lip with 5mm spacers so I had to take them off.
5mm spacer should be OK now, anyone running anything larger? I think the choice would either be a 5mm slip on or 10/12mm hubcentric.
They do make a nice difference dont they :)

Spacers wise your probably between a 5mm slip on with longer bolts which should still good wheel centre location so if you have them give it a go, or moving to 10 or 12mm hubcentric with longer bolts might work, as you have found with just M3 arms they can scrub with spacers although i was ok with 2mm ones on my last car, as the camber plate brings the wheel over more it might be ok but hard to know without trying, also minimum hubcentric spacer size depends on how big the spigot on hub flange is as some 1series seem to have much longer ones, on my 130i 12mm was thinnest i could use on front and 15mm on rear.

Ian
--

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 am

I stupidly sold the 5mm spacers on but I have 10/12mm hubcentric on the back so will swap them to the front and report back.

tbt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tbt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Got some rather unexpected results today. Took the car for an alignment check for the first time since fitting the plates, as although they've been on for a while I've had big issues with the M3 steering rack I had which leaked from the pinion seal. Then once I changed that seal it leaked catastrophically from some other internal seals filling the bellows up! Long story short I've now got the standard rack back on.
I've been driving round having only set the tracking by eye but feeling that it felt so much better than before the plates. So hadn't rushed to the alignment shop as it felt great to drive and had been ironing out a few other issues.
Picture below shows initial state post plate fitment.
I really don't know how it's possible to have such a difference in camber between sides. I was very vigilant in aligning the arrows on the plates to point forward in the fitted position. Also the strut tops are pushed inboard both sides as far as they'll go and I've got all M3 arms up front.

Has anyone else experienced a reading like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 E87 130i BMWP Parts-[Exhaust/Intake/Fr & Rr Brakes/Strut Brace/SS Kit]
M3 Parts-[Rear Subframe/Rear upper arms/Front Tension & LCA]
Quaife LSD, Bilstein B12 kit, Megan Racing toe arms, E46 M3 trans mounts, CDV delete

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:03 am

That isn't right, it's not possible to get -2.4 with these stage1 plates and with such a low reading on otherside to me it looks like an alignment equipment issue, either not sat perfect on wheels or car wasn't level, I would get it checked somewhere else.

If you can try get a picture looking into top of strut I should be able to see of plates are on right. Also a picture of front wheels to show angle of them, if it is that different then will be noticeable visually

Ian
--

tbt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tbt » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Plates aren't easily visible on a photo but they are both set to be offset towards the car centreline and are equal both sides when felt by hands through the strut tops.

Visually the camber looks similar between sides too.

I'm definitely going to get it checked elsewhere as even the operator at the place I went yesterday said he had doubts on the calibration of the hunter! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 E87 130i BMWP Parts-[Exhaust/Intake/Fr & Rr Brakes/Strut Brace/SS Kit]
M3 Parts-[Rear Subframe/Rear upper arms/Front Tension & LCA]
Quaife LSD, Bilstein B12 kit, Megan Racing toe arms, E46 M3 trans mounts, CDV delete

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”