Brands Evening Track day Monday 4th June 2018

Post any BMW meetings that are taking place in the UK here. Feel free to link to maps and photos.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, spokey

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Brands Evening Track day Monday 4th June 2018

Post by McTrucky » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi all,

Just booked this event. Be great to see some other M-Lites there.

Cheers
McT
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Brands Evening Track day Monday 4th June 2018

Post by McTrucky » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Anyone else going?
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:56 pm

Wish I could make this mate, have fun and be sure to share some footage!!
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Great night, knackered now. Hard work... Sorry Sam, no footage.

I was the fastest there, (there was a no race car rule) which meant I never got a clean lap, there was always someone wonderring what blue flashing signs meant just in front of me. To be fair 90% of drivers were aware and moved over, but there were one or two who were completely oblivious. So a great night, but with 40 cars on the Indy circuit, it was just a bit too busy for my liking. Maybe that is a feature of an evening session, as opposed to having the whole day to play. Everybody piles on track and no one waits for quieter periods?

Bit of a gap until the next one. Abingdon in August. Think I need to sqeeze one in late June early July... Anyone doing anything?

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 am

McTrucky wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm
Great night, knackered now. Hard work... Sorry Sam, no footage.

I was the fastest there, (there was a no race car rule) which meant I never got a clean lap, there was always someone wonderring what blue flashing signs meant just in front of me. To be fair 90% of drivers were aware and moved over, but there were one or two who were completely oblivious. So a great night, but with 40 cars on the Indy circuit, it was just a bit too busy for my liking. Maybe that is a feature of an evening session, as opposed to having the whole day to play. Everybody piles on track and no one waits for quieter periods?

Bit of a gap until the next one. Abingdon in August. Think I need to sqeeze one in late June early July... Anyone doing anything?
Good lad!!! :twisted:

Brands is a right pita when busy, I tend to stick to MSV Because of this, did they organise this night?

How was your tyre wear?
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 am

Yes MSV,

I was kindish to my tyres, only accidental drifts...

Need to get them off an have a look but pretty pleased with them (AD08R), done three days - Silverstone, Bedford twice and I rotated them for last night so the balding outside shoulders are now on the inside. Still some tread on there - not sure if there is another day's work in them though.

I expect I'll have four new ones on for the next trackday (Abingdon I think from memory).

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Unless you’re seeing even wear on your AD08’s you might want to think of more camber. My old 32 would do years worth of track days on these tyres, the grip would die before the edges meaning vastly longer life.

I’m also looking for more camber and investigating adjustable bushes to go with M4 LCA’s which should give up to about -2.5 with some lowering springs. Was also considering camber plates. I’m keeping my thread updated if it helps.
+ some dullness

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:24 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:46 pm
Unless you’re seeing even wear on your AD08’s you might want to think of more camber. My old 32 would do years worth of track days on these tyres, the grip would die before the edges meaning vastly longer life.

I’m also looking for more camber and investigating adjustable bushes to go with M4 LCA’s which should give up to about -2.5 with some lowering springs. Was also considering camber plates. I’m keeping my thread updated if it helps.
I reckon another track day on this set. so looking at 4 maybe 5 track days on a set. A set costs about £500 including fitting and one rotation.

Looked at cambers and so on, but looking at several hundred to do this - and I reckon the lack of anti roll is worth way more than a couple of degrees of camber... And going to the softer B12 springs makes the roll slightly worse. And then the brakes overheat if pushing on for ten minutes. And I slide about in the seat, so need a Ricaro/sparco, and.. and..

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:13 am

McTrucky wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:24 pm
git-r2 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:46 pm

I reckon another track day on this set. so looking at 4 maybe 5 track days on a set. A set costs about £500 including fitting and one rotation.

Looked at cambers and so on, but looking at several hundred to do this - and I reckon the lack of anti roll is worth way more than a couple of degrees of camber... And going to the softer B12 springs makes the roll slightly worse. And then the brakes overheat if pushing on for ten minutes. And I slide about in the seat, so need a Ricaro/sparco, and.. and..
Lol I know exactly that path!!

Tyre wear is my biggest issue with tracking cars. The 32 would make tyres last literally years but only because of the camber. It runs adjustable everything including very stiff anti roll bars and racing suspension but I once got it back without camber. Destroyed the edges of a brand new set of federal rs-r’s in just 1 day at Silverstone. Got the camber sorted then wear was back to normal.
+ some dullness

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 am

McTrucky wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm
Maybe that is a feature of an evening session, as opposed to having the whole day to play. Everybody piles on track and no one waits for quieter periods?
I did a set of sessions like that at Brands and it was the same. Everyone instantly goes crazy and the track is too busy, especially at first until the cars start to spread out.

I decided I prefer full, open pit lane days and try not to do these shorter sessions anymore.

Return to “UK”