How to stop F20/1 boot 'clicking / ticking / tapping' rattle

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: How to stop F20/1 boot 'clicking / ticking / tapping' rattle

Post by mitford » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:13 pm

i need to do this with mine its driving me insane, i even turn the radio off to listen for it which makes me even worse :lol:

had it both on my old 1 series and my new one
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

Nugs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Nugs » Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 am

Does anyone else get a clunking from the hatch when going over uneven ground? eg. reversing out of a driveway
Mine has coilovers with stiff springs so that may exacerbate the issue.

Andrewthefirst

Post by Andrewthefirst » Sat May 19, 2018 5:36 pm

This guide is much appreciated, only 2k miles into ownership & I cringe on bumpy roads.

Went to try this today but the 2 plastic Philips screws at the top do not want to come out. They just turn aimlessly. The metal bolts - no problem.

Anyone else have bother with these? I abandoned the project for fear of breaking anything.

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Andrewthefirst wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:36 pm
This guide is much appreciated, only 2k miles into ownership & I cringe on bumpy roads.

Went to try this today but the 2 plastic Philips screws at the top do not want to come out. They just turn aimlessly. The metal bolts - no problem.

Anyone else have bother with these? I abandoned the project for fear of breaking anything.
Tried it on my previous 1 series and the plastic screws we’re having none of it. Got it on my current 1 series and asked them to look at it when it went in for the EGR replacement and they said they didn’t have time.

Would they still fix this under warranty as my card only a year and a half old?
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

Return to “How To's”