How to retrofit Bluetooth and USB - Finished!

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

cul8rm8e

Re: How to retrofit Bluetooth and USB - Finished!

Post by cul8rm8e » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:29 pm

I have that fitted to the car so maybe it wont be so difficult to wire things up then.

Thanks

Do you know if its got to be connected any specific way or if theres markings on this to show

Wibbles
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Wibbles » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Yes, it needs to be wired up.in a specific manner so the optical ring is not broken. I'll see if I can find a link
BR Diagnostics & Retrofits
Apple Carplay - ONLY £89 - BabyBMW Special offer!
FULL SCREEN CARPLAY NOW AVAILABLE!
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

cul8rm8e

Post by cul8rm8e » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:56 pm

That would be a great help

Thanks

berne
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by berne » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:01 pm

i need some advice...

i have installed NBT to my car, and a oem mic, BUT when i make phone calls, the persen i am speaking to, is hearing him self, very loud... almost so the phones mic i activ to and send the sound from my speakers to him... its abut a few sec delay....

any idees? i cant relly use it:S

i have this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Microphon ... SwVm5Y-eu2

but not the mic.. i am using bmw OEM... i just use 2 cabels, i think the bmw is using 3 one for shilde.. but can that make that big diffret?
BMW 135i M3 m3 LSD,Wagner Evo2 intercooler,Wagner 3" Catless Downpipes,N55 midpipes + Dinan axelback.,BMS Intake, Tial 50mm BOW
BMS modified clutch valve,BMS short shift kit,M3-Wishbones.M3-Control arms .M3-Control arms, NBT f30 and more:)

tom_allen

Post by tom_allen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:39 am

I know this is quite an old thread but I'm hoping there may be someone who can help me.

I have just bought a 1 series and would like to get the hands free working. I have ordered the parts mentioned in the original post apart from the cable for the microphone. Please could somebody advise on the correct cable size for the microphone and also what style pins BMW use for the plugs. I would prefer to get the parts from RS rather than pay the BMW tax.

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm

tom_allen wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:39 am
I know this is quite an old thread but I'm hoping there may be someone who can help me.

I have just bought a 1 series and would like to get the hands free working. I have ordered the parts mentioned in the original post apart from the cable for the microphone. Please could somebody advise on the correct cable size for the microphone and also what style pins BMW use for the plugs. I would prefer to get the parts from RS rather than pay the BMW tax.
What headunit/features do you have now ?.... on my latest 130i the previous owner retro fitted with a rare version of the BMW Professional headunit which has built in bluetooth for handsfree along with adding a BMW microphone as well as USB and DAB etc ,just needed coding but apart from that much simplier way of getting these features rather than fitting modules/wiring in the boot if you dont already have the parts.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

tom_allen

Post by tom_allen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Mine just has the Business Professional head unit. I've used the online VIN decoder and it was not specced to have the phone. It does have the MULF2 in the boot and also the USB/AUX port under the arm rest.

madmandyson

Post by madmandyson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am

Samy93 wrote:I've read through this and the other Bluetooth/USB retrofit guides, and I'm not sure what head unit I have in my car still! The car is a 2010 e82 with professional navigation. The head unit looks like this

I don't have the USB under my armrest, and this is all I'd really want, is it as simple as getting the retrofit kit plugging into the (hopefully) optical connection on the back of the head unit and running to the arm rest with a new facia plate?

Thanks for any help guys!
Hi guys.. sorry to drag up this old thread .. I have a 2010 e90 lci with the following
TcU unit
Mulf2 unit
Telematics
Bluetooth
Sos button
I drive
Aux socket in arm rest
Snap in connector in arm rest
The thing I'm absolutely desperate for is usb in the arm rest. Surely it can't be much to install this with the mulf already in place.
Please could you advise exact advice on what I need to buy/do to.enable this

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 pm

madmandyson wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am

I don't have the USB under my armrest, and this is all I'd really want, is it as simple as getting the retrofit kit plugging into the (hopefully) optical connection on the back of the head unit and running to the arm rest with a new facia plate?

Thanks for any help guys!
Hi guys.. sorry to drag up this old thread .. I have a 2010 e90 lci with the following
TcU unit
Mulf2 unit
Telematics
Bluetooth
Sos button
I drive
Aux socket in arm rest
Snap in connector in arm rest
The thing I'm absolutely desperate for is usb in the arm rest. Surely it can't be much to install this with the mulf already in place.
Please could you advise exact advice on what I need to buy/do to.enable this

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
[/quote]

You'll need to check if your MULF has a spare socket for USB, if so then you'll need the cable and USB/AUX port for under the armrest installed and coded.

not all MULF units have the USB socket - take some photos and post them up.
BR Diagnostics & Retrofits
Apple Carplay - ONLY £89 - BabyBMW Special offer!
FULL SCREEN CARPLAY NOW AVAILABLE!
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

MaxE91xaM

Post by MaxE91xaM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Hello, I hope to find an angel who can help me. I have an e91 12/2006 with CCC to which I added a microphone, ant. bluetooth, mulf2 High and wiring. I added $ 620, $ 644 and $ 6FL to the VO, fa-write on CAS and FRM, process and code car completed with NCS on K + Dcan cable. But on the CCC I can not find USB and Telephone, which I am missing? Please help me !!!

maxs84

Post by maxs84 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi guys,
I I would like to retrofit a ULF on my E87 with business navigation system...

I opened a dedicated thread for my issue:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=108766

Does anyone help me?
Thanks

Rocket-Ron

Post by Rocket-Ron » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:14 pm

On my 123d could I have (I think) a more recent professional radio fitted by previous owner, that was in place of a business One. I have an aux/usb port by handbrake and the bluetooth 'mulf' in boot. But while the phone will hook up via bluetooth to radio it will only let me hear an incoming calling, they cannot hear me and I cannot play music through it...rather frustrating. I velive I have microphones installed by interior light. So is it just a case of have radio coded to the car, thats what I reckon having read thread? I bought some inpa edibias cd/dvds but am walking for the cable, is this easily sorted or a major headache? Thanks for any help you can give me

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:41 pm

First thing i would check 100% that there is a microphone and it is wired up etc, im not sure if coding would be an issue if it receives call ok so i would check hardware and wiring first as thats obvious thing if they can not here you speak, i know on my car the mike was retro fitted (badly) and i rewired it which sorted out similar issues.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Rocket-Ron

Post by Rocket-Ron » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Thank you Thetyrant, I prised back the lighting cover after buying a mic off ebay only to find there was one in there - a check on original spec says the car had aux/usb but not bluetooth, yet it hears incoming calls. I think you could be right, theres the mulf in boot, mic in roof and yet it could boil down to wiring just not being in place! I think I need to get the rolf lining undone and a pillar trim off check it as you say.

Return to “How To's”