Retrofit Front PDC? Can it be done?

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

rjstua
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Retrofit Front PDC? Can it be done?

Post by rjstua » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:36 am

Hi chaps,

I've had a search but couldn't see anything relevant. Is it possible to retrofit front pdc(already have rear) as I've just got a M135i which doesn't have them(we got used to having it on my previous 120d).

Cheers,
Rob

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Retrofit Front PDC? Can it be done?

Post by stevesurrey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Theres this http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=03_2012
But knowing BMW will cost you an arm, a leg and a kidney or two as well.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:49 pm

It definitely can be done and I'm about to do this mod to my F20 120D. You need:

Front PDC Retrofit Kit
Front Apron (Bumper) wiring kit
4 PDC sensors
Bracket kit to hold them in place
New switch panel with the PDC button for the centre console.

You then need to drill your front bumper (locations are marked on the inside apparently) fit the sensors and bumper wiring, then run the PDC retrofit kit cable to the REM ECU in the boot. Finally there is a cable as part of that kit to goes inside the centre console from the new switch to some other ECU under the armrest (can't remember off the top of my head which it is) but that bit seems pretty straightforward. Then once all the hardware is in it just needs coding.

If you bought all the parts new from BMW the cost would be astronomical. I got colour coded sensors off Ebay for about £25 each, the BMW price is well over £100 each! The 2 wiring kits were about £120 all in from BMW and the brackets about £20. The centre console switch can be bought from Ebay for about £30 - £40. So for me the parts cost total is about £270. Then it depends if you are confident to fit this yourself (I'm not) and am reckoning on about another £250 to have it all fitted.

Hope that helps!

Ellie

rjstua
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rjstua » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:37 am

Ellie wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:49 pm
It definitely can be done and I'm about to do this mod to my F20 120D. You need:

Front PDC Retrofit Kit
Front Apron (Bumper) wiring kit
4 PDC sensors
Bracket kit to hold them in place
New switch panel with the PDC button for the centre console.

You then need to drill your front bumper (locations are marked on the inside apparently) fit the sensors and bumper wiring, then run the PDC retrofit kit cable to the REM ECU in the boot. Finally there is a cable as part of that kit to goes inside the centre console from the new switch to some other ECU under the armrest (can't remember off the top of my head which it is) but that bit seems pretty straightforward. Then once all the hardware is in it just needs coding.

If you bought all the parts new from BMW the cost would be astronomical. I got colour coded sensors off Ebay for about £25 each, the BMW price is well over £100 each! The 2 wiring kits were about £120 all in from BMW and the brackets about £20. The centre console switch can be bought from Ebay for about £30 - £40. So for me the parts cost total is about £270. Then it depends if you are confident to fit this yourself (I'm not) and am reckoning on about another £250 to have it all fitted.

Hope that helps!

Ellie
Thanks for the info Ellie, I hope it all goes to plan. I am not confident of doing that work either!
2015 M135i Auto in MG

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:33 pm

I'll report back with the results after the upgrade has been done. In the meantime, I've added a list of part numbers for everything that is needed:

Centre Console Switch Part No: 61319252921
Ultrasonic Converter x 4 Part No: 66209261582 (Black Sapphire, for other colours part numbers will be different)
Cable Set Front Apron Part No: 61129251728
Install Kit, PDC Front Part No: 66202338070
  Kit consists of:
Mounting brackets, Front PDC
Center console control unit retrofit cable
Front to rear of car retrofit cable
PDC torque converter decoupling ring x 4

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:20 pm

Finally got around to getting the upgrade done. It was fairly straightforward with a couple of issues. The mounting brackets for the 4 Sensors is supposed to have a sticky backing on, mine didn't so they had to be glued in place instead. Also the connectors on the end of the retrofit cable were too big to fit in the connector on the Rear Electronic Module so they had to be re-terminated. Other than this it all went OK. Once all the hardware install was done we then VO coded option 508 into the car and hey presto! Front PDC! Overall cost of parts plus labour for this project was just under £475 so not too bad I don't think. The factory option is £295 but when I looked at doing this a year ago using all new parts it was going to cost over £1000. I found not being able to turn off the original rear only PDC without driving forwards or turning the engine off to be a little annoying so having the PDC button on the centre console now is great, I just need to get used to using it!

rjstua
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rjstua » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Great job Ellie, thanks for the update!

I do miss having front PDC and the button to switch off! Did BMW quote you £1000 to add the fronts, or was that pricing up the OEM parts?
2015 M135i Auto in MG

rjstua
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rjstua » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Great job Ellie, thanks for the update!

I do miss having front PDC and the button to switch off! Did BMW quote you £1000 to add the fronts, or was that pricing up the OEM parts?
2015 M135i Auto in MG

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't ask BMW for a price to do this upgrade, didn't trust them lol. I found it a little worrying that the official BMW time for this job is 2 hours. That seems like a sprint to me! The £1000 figure was to buy all the parts brand new from BMW. Some of the prices are ridiculous, if I remember correctly the front sensors were something like £130 each, by shopping around on Ebay I think I got all 4, brand new genuine BMW & colour coded for about £90.

Are you still contemplating the upgrade?

rjstua
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rjstua » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 pm

I think £1000 is too much for BMW to do it, which would be my preference!

It's on PCP so I'm not sure where I stand if I started adding my own retrofit parts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2015 M135i Auto in MG

Return to “How To's”