1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: 1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:47 am

The oem electric lumbar kit i retro fitted in my 130 is one of best mods ive done especially on long trips, i tend to just leave it with lower bag quite well inflated which gives much improved lower back support, on long journeys its nice to alter it slightly which helps stop back pain ive suffered without the lumbar on previous 1series, was a lucky find on ebay mine which was a complete kit for bth seats including all bags, pump, wiring and switches etc:D
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Flyfisher5

1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

Post by Flyfisher5 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:34 pm

Just found this thread whilst doing a search.
I just wanted to share the lumber mod I did for my f30 with comfort seats. I used air wedges from amazon instead of the one listed in the thread. £10.99 for two. I had to buy a metre length of 8mm silicon pipe as the provided pipe is only 10cm.
Seat with back removed

The air wedges I purchased from Amazon
The air wedges fitted
The air wedges inflated
The air pumps pipes were secured with zip ties. I’ve left the lower pipe zip ties with long tags for easy identification.
I’ve used it for a few days and it seems very comfortable. It’s surprising how little air is required to make a difference which is why it’s much better than a foam support.
It’s a really easy mod that can make a difference to comfort on long journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyfisher5

Re: 1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

Post by Flyfisher5 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Another quick update to the lumbar mod. I ordered the same single cell support as everyone else on this thread and fixed that as the lower back support. I also used a plastic file as suggested by others to protect the lumbar pad.
Instead of wasting the the air wedges, I’ve used those as bolster supports so in-effect making my own sport seat from a comfort seat. See photos. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “How To's”