Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Hassan851

Re: Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

Post by Hassan851 »

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:27 am
I drilled a hole in the plastic bung in the bodywork.

Wrap the new module in a plastic bag to be sure though.

Identical part numbers should be interchangeable, I'm less confident about the coding of older units, might be ok??
Cheers for the quick response and advice. Probably won't take the risk for the 30 quid saving, I'll just buy an identical one.

mr-fix

Post by mr-fix »

Checked my PDC few days ago. Here's a video that should be useful when getting to the PDC module in E87: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujHHN_Y1moA

dunny_UK

Post by dunny_UK »

118D 2009 plate - M sport. mine was soaked.
thanks for uploading the guide and everyone else that added pics and comments.

Admin i cant seem to get the youtube embed working - please help...

https://youtu.be/YCSTtkh2h5A

https://youtu.be/sei7UkwdT1I

the plugs themselves were soaked too.

the filter inside the vent was bone dry and so was the surrounding material.

the fuses listed are number 7 and 63 ( checked them both what a nightmare getting to them behind the glove box)

i got the PDC out of its plastic housing and dried it with the hairdryer. 3 times and then once more to make sure.
i also dried out the plugs in the car and the cables leading up to them.

Conclusion : im 95% sure the rear light cluster seal is the problem. ive ordered one.

Put the lot back together (wrapped the pdc unit in a plastic bag) and jackpot it all works again...

Tb1

Post by Tb1 »

First of all a massive thank you to whoever created this gem of a post.

Couple of days ago I had this exact issue in my 2006 1 series, I’m literally a complete novice when it comes to anything mechanical but with the help of this guide I’ve managed to pull out my PDC dry it in rice put it back in and it’s working. But I have a couple of questions. Firstly I have drilled holes in the plastic cap things at the bottom of the chamber the PDC is sat in. First question is will the water in there if any comes back now go onto the floor or does that lead to somewhere else in the bottom of the car?? Secondly I have put my PDC back in the car double bagged in little sandwich bags so it is protected from future water damage if any became present, I’m gonna sound so stupid for asking this now but it’s not going to become a fire hazard or get hot and overheat is it? Again sorry for the probably obvious answers but I literally know very little about anything mechanical lol

Feedback appreciated

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo »

Tb1 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Couple of days ago I had this exact issue in my 2006 1 series, I’m literally a complete novice when it comes to anything mechanical but with the help of this guide I’ve managed to pull out my PDC dry it in rice put it back in and it’s working. But I have a couple of questions. Firstly I have drilled holes in the plastic cap things at the bottom of the chamber the PDC is sat in. First question is will the water in there if any comes back now go onto the floor or does that lead to somewhere else in the bottom of the car?? Secondly I have put my PDC back in the car double bagged in little sandwich bags so it is protected from future water damage if any became present, I’m gonna sound so stupid for asking this now but it’s not going to become a fire hazard or get hot and overheat is it? Again sorry for the probably obvious answers but I literally know very little about anything mechanical lol

Feedback appreciated
Drips right out the bottom, and no, it's only 5 Volts iirc. Doesn't get warm.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Tb1

Post by Tb1 »

marco_polo wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 pm
Tb1 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Feedback appreciated
Drips right out the bottom, and no, it's only 5 Volts iirc. Doesn't get warm.

Thank you, so I’m all clear then :)

maxppp

Post by maxppp »

Hi guys, after some heavy rainfall I'm suffering the exact symptoms described in the first post.

I just wanted to clarify if it was okay to still use the car with the PDC unit unplugged / removed?

Reason is, free time is often few and far between at the moment, so I might not have the time to thoroughly dry it out and re-assemble it all before the car is needed back in action?

Thanks
'06 130i

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

maxppp wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:07 pm
I just wanted to clarify if it was okay to still use the car with the PDC unit unplugged / removed?
Yup, no issues at all.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

seanb

Post by seanb »

Hi all, new to this forum and arrived here having found this wet rear seat thread. Yes, you guessed it, I had a wet rear seat. Firstly thanks to everyone for the write up and info on here - really incredibly useful. I initially thought the wetness may have been from a damp coat left on the seat, but it was a little too wet for that...so I searched and arrived here. Removed half of the car insides easily and quickly using these instructions with the result that my seat is now nice and dry (up against the radiator) also the felt from under is sorted. Luckily (?) my car is basic model so no rotten PDC issues to worry about...

Anyway...after hosing the car down the problem looks like the vents, despite the padding in the vents being dry. I can feel water on the underside of the vent where it fits against the body and a little dribble running down into the well. Amazing how much got in with a short spraying with hose.

So...to seal the vent with silicone or bitumen sealer, do I (can I?) remove the vent from the car (I've obviously removed the clip on bit with the padding, I mean the bit left in place) or just try and squeeze sealer around the edges and hope for the best? If it is removable, anyone know how? Would like to try to remove without breaking any hidden clips etc!! I've poked out the bung on one side (other already removed by previous owner it seems, so not a new problem with my car) so hopefully no build up of water in future but would be good to seal the vent anyway if I can.

One more question...Initially read that there were two bungs on the underside - picture showed one near fuel take and same on opposite side of car, but reading on through this post I think I saw mention of 4 bungs - any idea where the other two are please? With the car being so low it's a bit fiddly to try and look under, so a pointer where to look would be good if possible.
Finally...not relevant to this thread, but I wondered why my rear arch seemed closer to the the tyre on drivers side than passenger side - found a thread here explaining it's 'normal'...! Seems these 1 series are full of little 'features'...!

Anyway, thanks again all, a very helpful and informative forum :-)

neilh

Post by neilh »

hi, just picked up a bargain 1 series 2011 E87 with only 15k on the clock - been through the thread and some brilliant walk through explanations and have done everything = removed PDC - dried it in rice and it worked !!!, removed the 2 chassis bungs(got a lot of water out) , drilled through the grommets in the rear wells , but when got in the car today to check and the back seats are wet again - is there something else I have missed ?

ran a watering can over the rear corners and nothing through light clusters- it must be coming through the threaded holes behind the seats - any suggestions wold be gratefully received

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Those threads which leak are connected to the chassis rails underneath, aren't they?

Did you manage to get them 100% bone dry?

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 50pence »

The vents behind the bumper through to the wells? If they become dislodged they let water in. It's worth repositioning the PDC unit, I tucked it behind the light unit on our old 120i

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc

neilh

Post by neilh »

thanks for the replies- I think its now dried out- I have bagged the pdc and don't appear to be getting water in to the rear wells. the water I was worried about was what came through the back and I removed 2 plugs underneath to drain water out

the boot vents do look like they don't fit as tight at the bottom - looks a mission to get to the vents , can I seal around them?

neilh

Post by neilh »

how do I make sure the chassis rails are bone dry

chomar

Post by chomar »

hello everyone,

This week I also started to suffer from christmas tree warning lights. My dashboard turned in to a night club. After some research, I ended up here.
I was so certain that my issue was a wet PDC problem, I considered that this will only effect the parking sensors. therefore, I kept driving because I needed my car for transportation. however, this morning my car didnt start. As if my battery is dead. (but no low battery warnings etc.)
I stripped my boot down and my PDC and tow unit was submerged in 2 cm of water. I took them out. they look really bad and unsalvagable, but I will give it a try surely. I placed them on my radiator and give them a try tomorrow.
But my main concern is that my car doesnt start at all at the moment. and I reckon even if dried PCD would not help at this moment. I am ok to live without my sensors but what would you suggest to have my car bring back in action?

thanks for replies in advance!

Return to “How To's”