Automatic Boot Spring Open

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster, marco_polo

E87Gaz
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Automatic Boot Spring Open

Post by E87Gaz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:48 pm

Ah. Thank you. Makes sense.

Blakey916
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Blakey916 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:25 am

Got my Octavia struts, they're about an inch too long so not much good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 BMW 120d Sport
2004 120d... In progress ;-)

Thomas.E

Post by Thomas.E » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Blakey916 wrote:Got my Octavia struts, they're about an inch too long so not much good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 BMW 120d Sport

Is it hatchback we talking about and did you buy art nr. ST018306 it will fit.
Octavia strut length is 403mm and BMW strut is 411mm about 8mm differance (0,31 inches longer then Octavia strut)
BMW 118d Hatchback-09 - Eibach B12 Pro-kit

hhorner

Post by hhorner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:16 pm

I am going to try and do this on my 1 series. Is there anywhere to buy the springs without ordering online? Do any DIY stores sell them?

Also, if I do need to change my struts as well, where can I but these from? Don't want them to be too expensive but would prefer new to used ones.

Thanks

divingmcdiveface

Post by divingmcdiveface » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi all

Sorry to drag this one alive again, just wanted to share my combination of springs and washers

The spring, in a fetching BMW Blue :o was from Amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought a packet of 1/2 inch tap washers from Wilko
At first I put two of the tap washers on but I could see on the other end of the strut, the bracket fastened to the chassis was moving ever so slightly as I started to put force onto the boot lid

So I cut one off and replaced it with a washer approx 1/2 the thickness

The boot opens fully and the bracket at the chassis end of the strut doesn't seem to flex.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

divingmcdiveface wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm
Hi all

Sorry to drag this one alive again, just wanted to share my combination of springs and washers

The spring, in a fetching BMW Blue :o was from Amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

At first I put two of the tap washers on but I could see on the other end of the strut, the bracket fastened to the chassis was moving ever so slightly as I started to put force onto the boot lid

The boot opens fully and the bracket at the chassis end of the strut doesn't seem to flex.
Which size springs did you order from Amazon? 20x25?

divingmcdiveface

Post by divingmcdiveface » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Tyler wrote:
divingmcdiveface wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm
Hi all

Which size springs did you order from Amazon? 20x25?

Yes. The ones in the link posted above.

divingmcdiveface

Post by divingmcdiveface » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Having had a bit mess about with this tonight I found that after the washer was put under some load (and probably compressed slightly), I found it was only opening half way.
I ended up adding another metal washer to it and now it seems much better. The total unloaded length is now 35mm so if you went with 20x35 make sure you use a compressible rubber grommet otherwise the total length under load might be too long and start to put the fixings under too much strain.
The washer is only there to stop the spring rattling around, but due to the hardness of the tap washer it adds some length to the overall spring.

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:20 pm

Some nice marks on the Strut top plastic mount. What have you been using to remove it, mole grips :shock:
Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

divingmcdiveface

Post by divingmcdiveface » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Rather than use springs, has anyone tried a different strut with a much higher eject force??
The highest direct replacement for the F20/21 from Stabilus had an eject force of 470N (the highest I could find), but the struts on an Audi TT have 630N and the dimensions are very very close. I took a look at some Youtube videos on replacing the struts on the Audi and the couplings on the end of the struts look exactly the same to me.
I'm going to ask the next Audi TT coupe owner I see if I can have a look at his struts.... :lol: :lol:

These are for the F20/21 https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/monroe/11727239

These are for the Audi TT coupe 2007 to 2014 model https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/monroe/11726875

Thoughts and comments..

Return to “How To's”