How to stop F20/1 boot 'clicking / ticking / tapping' rattle

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Andrewthefirst

Re: How to stop F20/1 boot 'clicking / ticking / tapping' rattle

Post by Andrewthefirst »

This guide is much appreciated, only 2k miles into ownership & I cringe on bumpy roads.

Went to try this today but the 2 plastic Philips screws at the top do not want to come out. They just turn aimlessly. The metal bolts - no problem.

Anyone else have bother with these? I abandoned the project for fear of breaking anything.

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford »

Andrewthefirst wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:36 pm
This guide is much appreciated, only 2k miles into ownership & I cringe on bumpy roads.

Went to try this today but the 2 plastic Philips screws at the top do not want to come out. They just turn aimlessly. The metal bolts - no problem.

Anyone else have bother with these? I abandoned the project for fear of breaking anything.
Tried it on my previous 1 series and the plastic screws we’re having none of it. Got it on my current 1 series and asked them to look at it when it went in for the EGR replacement and they said they didn’t have time.

Would they still fix this under warranty as my card only a year and a half old?
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

GMballistic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GMballistic »

Thank you for doing this guide Marco. :thumbs:

Just did this today. I didn't really have any issues whilst doing it either.
The little plastic screws came out fine with some gentle even pressure on them whilst unscrewing. I did find the Tesa tape to be the least adhesive tape I've ever used though. :lol:

Only thing I'd add to the guide is that it's worth using alcohol wipes or similar all the way around the boot lid in order to help the Tesa tape adhere properly to the surface.
2012 Alpine White F20 M135i

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Babaa »

Also a thanks for doing this guide too Marco :D

It has helped my car with a lot of the rattles & ticks, but not quite all but that is because I bottled it a bit and didn't remove all the trim mainly due to the fact that most of my rattles are at the top of the bootlid and the bottom was already pretty solid.

It did all come away as mentioned, but without me actually separating / unclipping the plastic parts away from each other, I still managed to get to all the joining parts and get the tape around the 2/3 rds of the area I have the noises from.

So all in all, yes, this has totally stopped the sound of plastic against plastic for me which is a great result, but I although I think the last noise I am left with is more to do with the concealed wiring around this area now and not the trim.

I did as suggested and where some of the wires were loose I pulled out a little and wrapped the wire and surrounding body areas with the tape, but I think my issue is somewhere further down than you can easily get to.

The only thing is that with my somewhat partial removal, it is pretty tricky to contort the panels back in and keep them all clipped together, not move the tape you have just put in place and also not bend any of the clips that need to go back in - so just something to look out for if you don't get it all out in one piece like I did.

Overall though, for 1hr it has removed 90% of my noises which I am happy with, and I'm not going to risk it not going back together again for me to try and hunt down the loose wire somewhere not easy to get to - so thanks very much for the guide and ridding nearly all the rattles :D
2018 m140i SE
2015 220i Active Tourer
2013 m135i (now gone)

BeemerCheemer

Post by BeemerCheemer »

Just wanted to add to this thread.

For quite a few months I had an annoying dull tapping / knocking noise coming from the boot when going over rough road / bumps etc.
All was fine with the boot trim, however it appears that one of the rubber bungs on the parcel shelf had gone bye bye, allowing the parcel shelf to jump and contact the shelf housing.

Simple and cheap fix at £5 for a replacement. So is worth bearing in mind if you, like I did, have a tapping / knocking noise coming from your boot area that doesnt appear to be trim related.

Part Number: 51466967605
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

chinskee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by chinskee »

What sort of sound was the noise coming from the boot? I have it where when i go over a bump itll rattle like the boot isnt actually closed properly. Can't for the sake of me get my hear around why it is happening. I have tried a few tips like tape on the latch etc, but it's still there :( Not sure if the fix Marco stated would be for me as it sounds different to how he described it in the OP.
'63 M135i - Saphire Black
Instagram: f21Charlie
Previous Cars:
13 116i MSport, '63 116D Sport

Nick-ST
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Nick-ST »

chinskee wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:58 pm
What sort of sound was the noise coming from the boot? I have it where when i go over a bump itll rattle like the boot isnt actually closed properly. Can't for the sake of me get my hear around why it is happening. I have tried a few tips like tape on the latch etc, but it's still there :( Not sure if the fix Marco stated would be for me as it sounds different to how he described it in the OP.
Mine sounds exactly like yours too

christopher

Post by christopher »

I also had it, was like the boot wasn’t closed properly. Slammed the boot harder and the noise seemed a lot better. I think the weather also plays apart, some days it felt solid not a sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L7YTN
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by L7YTN »

chinskee wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:58 pm
I've learnt to live with this. Been to BMW three times and each time they adjusted the boot. Better but still sh#t.

Return to “How To's”