Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

Pookey

Re: Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

Post by Pookey »

Thank you so much everyone especially the guy who originally posted the run through of how to remove the PDC. BMW drivers are just the best.

It rained heavily the other day. Started my car to a parking sensor warning. Didn't mind it because the beeping annoys me alot. Drove home from work and my dashboard went crazy , got the Christmas tree light flashing icons.

If there has been rain, your parking sensor fails and you get further eletronical warning messages I can confirm it is your PDC covered in water. Had about 2-3 inches of water after following the original post on how to access it. Got rid of the water , my PDC is now in rice and I tied the cables safely so if it fills again they wont make contact with the water. I will drill a hole too as I have been advised on here. I most likely wont buy a replacement PDC or put the dry one back in as I can confirm you will have no fault or issues driving without the module plugged in.

No more faulty PDC warning and no more electrical failure warnings either. I love and care about my 120i a lot. The people and the information provided has helped me massively today so thank you all so so much.
Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny »

Pookey wrote:Thank you so much everyone especially the guy who originally posted the run through of how to remove the PDC. BMW drivers are just the best.

It rained heavily the other day. Started my car to a parking sensor warning. Didn't mind it because the beeping annoys me alot. Drove home from work and my dashboard went crazy , got the Christmas tree light flashing icons.

If there has been rain, your parking sensor fails and you get further eletronical warning messages I can confirm it is your PDC covered in water. Had about 2-3 inches of water after following the original post on how to access it. Got rid of the water , my PDC is now in rice and I tied the cables safely so if it fills again they wont make contact with the water. I will drill a hole too as I have been advised on here. I most likely wont buy a replacement PDC or put the dry one back in as I can confirm you will have no fault or issues driving without the module plugged in.

No more faulty PDC warning and no more electrical failure warnings either. I love and care about my 120i a lot. The people and the information provided has helped me massively today so thank you all so so much.

Ive said it many times, best BMW forum on the web.

2018 F80 M3CP San Marino - not yet crashed
2017 F80 M3CP Silverstone II - crashed

2010 E82 125i Black - sold
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60951
Maxcook30

Post by Maxcook30 »

Hi there,

I have this issue on my 120d coupe. My sensors don’t work and the pdc light doesn’t come on when I press it. I removed the interior trim in the boot to find the pdc unit but there was no sign of it anywhere!

Is it located somewhere different to the hatchbacks?

There was no stray wires so it’s not been removed but I’m really confused. Could I get some help please.

Cheers
waldorf
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by waldorf »

Left hand side or right hand side? Mine’s located at the right.
Old one: E87 M47, new one: E88 N43 (and E84 N47)
MPN1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MPN1 »

I have an intermittent fault with my parking sensors so I am going to take a look at the module to see how dry it is.
I have sensors front and back so are they all controlled by the one module in the boot or is there another one for the front sensors?
2008 130i le m sport. Bilstein B6 Rears with Powerflex Mounts. BMWP Grilles. Royal Steering Wheel. Powerfold Mirrors. Powerflex Front ARB Bushes. M3 Gearbox Mounts. Hel Brake & Clutch Lines. Meyle HD Drop Links. Whiteline Subframe Inserts.
dre123d
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dre123d »

MPN1 wrote:I have an intermittent fault with my parking sensors so I am going to take a look at the module to see how dry it is.
I have sensors front and back so are they all controlled by the one module in the boot or is there another one for the front sensors?
It's the same module that controls all sensors. Check my posts on this topic, but I have the wheel on the left/correct side Image Image

Check it ASAP, mine was at the limit of recovery.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Jack79
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jack79 »

Hi. If you have to buy new module it is importend to by proper one for cars that got sound from buzzer ( Bussines radio). If you have sound from speakers all module will work. You can see what module you need looking on majnboard of PDC. If you got elements marked in circle you need buzzer version. If not you can buy water you want. On left picture buzzer version.
Only last seven digits of PN are importend.
Version working with buzzers and speaker front/rear:
Version working ONLY with speaker front/rear:
Version working with buzzers and speaker rear:
Version working ONLY with speaker rear:
If you buy bad PDC for buzzer you got errors when diagnose PDC and no sound
9E3C, 9E28 - when you got only rear PDC
9E3D, 9E28 - when you got front and rear PDC
MPN1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MPN1 »

dre123d wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:36 pm
MPN1 wrote:I have an intermittent fault with my parking sensors so I am going to take a look at the module to see how dry it is.
It's the same module that controls all sensors. Check my posts on this topic, but I have the wheel on the left/correct side Image Image

Well I’ve just checked it and it is bone dry in there with the module already lifted up out of the way.
Sensors have been working properly the last few days so I guess I’ll just wait and see what happens.
The main thing is it’s not sat in a pool of water.
2008 130i le m sport. Bilstein B6 Rears with Powerflex Mounts. BMWP Grilles. Royal Steering Wheel. Powerfold Mirrors. Powerflex Front ARB Bushes. M3 Gearbox Mounts. Hel Brake & Clutch Lines. Meyle HD Drop Links. Whiteline Subframe Inserts.
MPN1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MPN1 »

MPN1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:20 pm
dre123d wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:36 pm

Well I’ve just checked it and it is bone dry in there with the module already lifted up out of the way.
Sensors have been working properly the last few days so I guess I’ll just wait and see what happens.
The main thing is it’s not sat in a pool of water.
Fault came back.
It was a dodgy sensor.
You can try and listen to the sensors clicking if they are working but then my son said 'just touch them' and you can then feel if they are working or not.
drew_g

Post by drew_g »

Can't thank you guys enough...

Was having really bizarre issues with my 2010 E87...

Xmas tree dashboard issues, battery draining (guess this issue was waking the CANBUS up ??) - new battery purchased as beilieved that was the issue, only to have the car drain again a week later.. doing 3 to 4 60 mile motorway trips a week, never use stop start, so something must have been underlying.

PDC has never worked on the car in the year that I've owned her.

This afternoon, nothing would work, car would start, but dash, heating and stereo all completely lifeless other than the dreaded Red Car on lift light in the middle of the cluster.

Decided nothing to lose in checking out the PDC after finding this post, and the polystyrene holder was literall full of water. Green algae on the white casing of the control unit.. Got disconnected and removed only to find a good 2 - 3inches of water in the recess.. pulled bung out of rail and no water evident.. so more investgation needed to find teh root cause of the leak.

The minute the module was removed, fired the car up and everything working as normal !!! Contacts on the board are rusty and something appears to be growing all over teh board, so guessing this has been living undewater for some time :cry:

You guys have saved me a fortune I dare say, was considering taking to dealer this week and dreading the bill !!
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Good skills with the detective work, well done. :)
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Currently saving up for some Pork....
drew_g

Post by drew_g »

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 21.19.01.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 21.19.01.jpeg (134.96 KiB) Viewed 107 times
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 21.19.01.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 21.19.01.jpeg (134.96 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Its a mess ! :P
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 21.19.22.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-08 at 21.19.22.jpeg (124.89 KiB) Viewed 107 times
drew_g

Post by drew_g »

Question regarding the drilling of the bungs ?!

Assume the 2 round plugs in the bottom of the well. Would people advise doing this ?

I've ordered up a new rear light gasket in case thats the issue.. and I see people talking about water ingress through the vent in the side of the well.. do you recommended sealing around the outside of it ? Any help or pics of what you've done to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “How To's”