Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

SmurfN

Re: Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

Post by SmurfN » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 am

quick question, whats the easiest way to just replace one of the rear pdc sensors? i have the msport bumper. so im wondering if easiest to just remove the diffuser and reach up? or do i need to remove the whole bumper?

Baggio10

Post by Baggio10 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:00 am

Great post!!!
You've just helped me resolve this issue on my 2010 E87.
After taking out a pint or more of water from the well the PDC was in, does anyone have any recommendations to check where the water came from, attempt to reseal any issue?
Thanks again

Rarebit
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rarebit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Baggio10 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:00 am
Great post!!!
You've just helped me resolve this issue on my 2010 E87.
After taking out a pint or more of water from the well the PDC was in, does anyone have any recommendations to check where the water came from, attempt to reseal any issue?
Thanks again
Check rear light seal, rear bumper vent and the round drain hole in the top corners of the tailgate opening
130i LE

N11dyy

Post by N11dyy » Sat May 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, although have read a lot of posts mercer posted anything. But I need some help with finding where I can locate my 635d pdc unit? My front and rear pdc is not working at all.

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Sat May 12, 2018 1:17 pm

N11dyy wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:57 pm
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, although have read a lot of posts mercer posted anything. But I need some help with finding where I can locate my 635d pdc unit? My front and rear pdc is not working at all.
Find your car here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ using your cars VIN. Click on Repair Manuals and then section 66 Distance Systems etc
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

N11dyy

Post by N11dyy » Sat May 12, 2018 11:14 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. Will give this a shot tomorrow.
stevesurrey wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:17 pm
[quote=N11dyy post_id=<a href="tel:1403737">1403737</a> time=<a href="tel:1526126259">1526126259</a> user_id=39723]
Find your car here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ using your cars VIN. Click on Repair Manuals and then section 66 Distance Systems etc
[/quote]

ramjam2005

Post by ramjam2005 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi New member here, owner of E88 118i Convertible 2008. Found this thread as been searching water ingress issue in boot. Unfortunately, with the E88 convertible its a more costly issue as the roof motor/hydraulic pump is squeezed into that same RH boot well where the PDC resides and yes motor is kaput ! Cream crackered ! Main dealers quote over £1200 for a new roof motor/pump alone ! Read through the whole thread hoping to find the source of the water as I don't want to install my refurbed exchange roof pump motor (£199 from http://roofmotors.co.uk ) only to get that soaked too a few months down the road.

I stripped out the RH boot well last week to get to the motor and found the usual puddle in the bottom but the foam rubber shroud which encases the motor/pump acts like a sponge and retains the water. I left all this open to allow it to dry out. Now,its worth noting that I haven't driven the car for nearly a week since then and its just been sitting on the drive. I went to the boot last night to show my son and low and behold the well had re-filled with 2cm of water. Yes, we have had some heavy rain storms this week but the car has just sat there so where is this water coming from?

My son and I was of the opinion ( as most in this thread ) that the black clip-on vent is the culprit - but how? I will try the silicon sealant fix as described and will also check my rear light clusters for leaks. Has anybody considered water ingress via the petrol filler flap ? Obviously being a convertible there could be a multitued of sources for the water but if all the other body shell variants have this same issue it has to be something common to all. Off now to search for a roof motor thread.

Scott&kim

Post by Scott&kim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:51 pm

I've taken the pdc out years ago because of the water issue, but my on board computer keeps on flicking through the options and puts different warnings on the dash ie low oil, low coolant etc. Could this be damage caused from the water?

Also my BMW is a 57 plate so the problem is after the suggested 56!

Unfortunately I need to replace the parking sensors as bmw can't complete the recall of there not plugged in😡

There also not owning up to the leak being there fault on the first place 😡😡

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Think this issue affects later cars too, my 07 had water in the PDC well.
Make a small hole in one of the plastic bungs as a fail safe drain.
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Return to “How To's”