Newbie!! Steering Wheel Fitting!!

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

dawsieboy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Newbie!! Steering Wheel Fitting!!

Post by dawsieboy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Right so hello to everyone pleasure to be here!!

Got my 118d ES company car on order and it will be here in a couple of weeks but of course me being me I already want to do all sorts to it! :twisted:

First thing - I wanted a sports steering wheel but would have gone over my limit (as I already added 18" wheels, front sports seats, centre armrest etc!)

So I was thinking I'd just buy one from eBay and fit it myself :)

Is it a like for like fitment so the airbag module will just slot into the new wheel and will the multifunction buttons work??? if not is there a way to do it??

If anyone has any guides that would be great!!

I'm sure I'll be here lots and lots - just because you drive a company car doesn't mean you have to grow up!!!?! :band:

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Newbie!! Steering Wheel Fitting!!

Post by rob-the-viking » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Hello mate and welcome to our little corner of the internet!

With regards to your question, it might be easier of you take a photo of your current steering wheel so we know what you are dealing with.

As for swaping them out, it's relatively straight forward, however, DISCONNECT THE -VE from the battery before you even start. I always do this with the side lights on to drain any residual current in the system.

Airbags are explosive devices after all, so treat them with the respect they deserve mate.

There are guides to removing the steering wheel on here, i'll see if I can dig one up. If you connect the battery with the airbag unplugged it will record a fault and bring on the airbag warning light that will need resetting either by you if you have the kit or by the dealers.

dawsieboy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dawsieboy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks for the reply!!

I looked into it but it was not just a case of the steering wheel being replaced but also the airbag which would have been expensive!

I decided to have the order on the car changed and opt for the steering wheel in place of the centre armrest which will be alot cheaper to add on in the long run....

Just need to find one now then turn my little beemer into my new toy!!! 8)

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rob-the-viking » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Wise choice mate! When do you pick her up?

dawsieboy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dawsieboy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:55 pm

pick up the beast mid november they reckon??

currently driving around in a Seat Leon Tdi 1.6 which isn't bad to be fair but not quite at the same level!! :)

Return to “How To's”