Slow coolant leak - Radweld?

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

whodareswins1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Slow coolant leak - Radweld?

Post by whodareswins1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:39 pm

I have a slow coolant leak somewhere on my 116i. I first noticed it leaking a few months after buying it. I could see one pipe where it was leaking. I took it to a garage and they replaced the pipe and two others that were leaking. It's improved significantly but it still drops. I'm wondering if radweld would fix this problem. Or is it advised not to put the stuff in your coolant?
F20 116i

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Slow coolant leak - Radweld?

Post by marco_polo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:45 pm

It's a bit of a bodge, and considered a nuclear option as once it's in you can't ever get it all out again if it causes problems.

If you want to pull the trigger, I guess use just sufficient 'Ce-Lit' to plug your leak, and prey it doesn't cause too much mischief elsewhere?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Dave2032
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dave2032 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Don’t do it, it’ll clog up the whole system.

If you’ve had the coolant drained to fix the leak you might see the level drop over the month after as there could be small amounts air in the system that will eventually work their way out. I would just top it up. Unless it’s loads of water or it keeps going low after a month of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Father Mapple
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Father Mapple » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:20 pm

I wouldn't put that in decent car, if it was some 1980's clunker on its last legs that would be different, but on a modern car its really not a good move. You can get a UV dye and a UV torch for not a lot of money and then try to locate the leak and fix it. Far better to do that in the long run.
M140 Bilsten b6 adaptive, Powerflex subframe bushings, rear subframe brace

Return to “BMW Problems”