BMW 120d wipers and auto wipers stop working halfway

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Zkhan90

BMW 120d wipers and auto wipers stop working halfway

Post by Zkhan90 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 am

Hi, new here.

I live in the UK so plenty of rain all the time, I bought this 07 model 4 months ago. Theres always been a problem with the wipers.

If i put it on auto in the rain it will work and then suddenly stop, no matter how heavy the rain. Seriously dangerous as I end up with almost no visibility. I put it on manual and it may start the wipers sometimes and other times not.

Ive fiddled around with settings and nothing will work.

The only thing that solves the problem (when both auto wipers and manual wipers refuse to work) is to stop the car somewhere, turn off the engine, turn off the electrics and then start again which allows the wipers to start too. Yesterday on a half hour journey in heavy rain i had to do this about 4 or 5 times :(

Has anyone experienced this or have any solutions? I get a little stressed and scared when this happens as i cant see anything when driving

Bimmer112
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: BMW 120d wipers and auto wipers stop working halfway

Post by Bimmer112 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:05 am

First (and cheapest) thing to check would be wiper relay in the glove box
BMW e87 118d M47N2

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: BMW 120d wipers and auto wipers stop working halfway

Post by Nottsknots » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 am

As said, start with the wiper relay; the one for the rear is identical to the one for the front, so try swapping them over - poor rear visibility is not as serious as poor front vis!

IIRC they are two blue relays, top left of the fuse board.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e87- ... 1VnYuo3ZrW

It can be a bu&&er to get to them, but be careful to remember which orientation they go when you remove each, otherwise refitting becomes a bit of trial and error, or you try to force it in 180 degrees out and bend something.

If swapping the relays fixes it, get a new relay.

If not, post back and we’ll go from there.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Return to “BMW Problems”