Cooling fans on for no reason

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin

Chrispr

Cooling fans on for no reason

Post by Chrispr »

Hi

I have a 2008 116i m sport 80k. After a very short drive the yellow temp warning came on then red After about 5 seconds it went off but I could here the cooling fans on but the car was driving fine no limp mode. I pulled over to check the normal things and nothing was out of place. Since then the fans come on as soon as I start the car. No fault codes are coming up

Has anyone any ideas of whats happening to my car ???

Thanks
Dazbol

Re: Cooling fans on for no reason

Post by Dazbol »

Same thing happened to me recently and turned out to be the water cooler sensor. If it is then luckily not to expensive.
Be aware though it will eventually go into limp mode so I'd get it sorted soon.
E81 123d
Chrispr

Post by Chrispr »

Dazbol wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:47 pm Same thing happened to me recently and turned out to be the water cooler sensor. If it is then luckily not to expensive.
Be aware though it will eventually go into limp mode so I'd get it sorted soon.
Check the temp on the hidden dash and I was 22c when cold I started the car and it went up gradually which I presume means it's working fine
stevesurrey
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by stevesurrey »

"22c when cold" - where do you live?
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick
Chrispr

Post by Chrispr »

stevesurrey wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:05 pm "22c when cold" - where do you live?
Only in Sheffield mate. It stopped at 46c didn't go any higher. The fans pretty much come on straight away I'm at a bit of a loss
stevesurrey

Post by stevesurrey »

22c sounds rather warm for a cold engine in Sheffield, assuming by 'cold' you mean first thing in morning after cars stood unused overnight. In that situation it should read close to ambient.

And if it never got above 46c in use then that sounds off too. I drive a diesel which I think is meant to get to 88c and I seem to recall petrols should get a bit higher still.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick
Chrispr

Post by Chrispr »

stevesurrey wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:56 pm 22c sounds rather warm for a cold engine in Sheffield, assuming by 'cold' you mean first thing in morning after cars stood unused overnight. In that situation it should read close to ambient.

And if it never got above 46c in use then that sounds off too. I drive a diesel which I think is meant to get to 88c and I seem to recall petrols should get a bit higher still.
I will double check tomorrow....... easy fix if it is that.
Chrispr

Post by Chrispr »

Checked the remp again and it was 3c so that seems spot on. Going to change the water pump

Return to “BMW Problems”