A whole load of problems ... E87 118D 2007 advice?

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin

bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: A whole load of problems ... E87 118D 2007 advice?

Post by bobwibbles »

Nyxeris wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:51 pm Put the part number for the PDC module into RealOEM and it'll tell you which options and models it worked on. If it doesn't match your car, it probably won't work. Coding in most BMW contexts means "altering pre-existing parameters within a module". If the module is for a different model/equipment level the differences are usually hardware rather than software, even if it looks outwardly identical.

I'd highly recommend you leave the short circuit counters well alone as long as you've got no codes for short circuits. When the counters reach zero, even if that's by accident, they brick the module as a safety feature.
Part number revealed that it won't be compatible. All the exchangeabld part numbers were close but not enough.
Ok won't touch short circuit counter then sounds risky.

The PDC guy said he will let me test it so I might just test it anyway.

I am becoming addicted to fixing every little thing on this car.
I'm going to try and get my life back together and do some studying properly for a few days. No point of having a good car and being kicked out of uni ;)
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Dang it took it to the garage and the guy said the exhaust set up is in really bad condition. (Which I know) but he says it's going to be a difficult job to get it back to normal.
Going to see him now.
Everywhere I go people comment on how bad the exhaust is underneath and they say they haven't seen anything like this.
The guy I bought it from was very DIY so he did alot of the work...
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Ok he's agreed to work with me. I need to collect the parts so I'm going to scrounge around breaking 118ds.
nivens
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nivens »

Did he say what was wrong that made it difficult to refit and OEM system? Might be worth letting an custom exhaust place have a look to see if they'd be able to knock something semi OEM together or if they'd be able to refit a second hand exhaust without too much hassle. From the pictures you'd already posted it looked like a frankenstein of custom and possibly random exhaust parts so maybe he's cut off the OEM mounting points. I'm due to get a 135i back box modified to fit my 130i later this month for £80 at a custom exhaust place, the local garages didn't want to touch it.

It's good to see you've made a fair bit of progress in getting it back into shape, I know you're chasing the PDC fault and stop start but I'd honestly stick that on the back burner until you've got the main stuff sorted and money to spare, I find the parking sensors to be of little use in reality anyway and stop start just adds to engine and starter wear for a few extra mpg.
2005 E87 130i - Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

nivens wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:18 pm Did he say what was wrong that made it difficult to refit and OEM system? Might be worth letting an custom exhaust place have a look to see if they'd be able to knock something semi OEM together or if they'd be able to refit a second hand exhaust without too much hassle. From the pictures you'd already posted it looked like a frankenstein of custom and possibly random exhaust parts so maybe he's cut off the OEM mounting points. I'm due to get a 135i back box modified to fit my 130i later this month for £80 at a custom exhaust place, the local garages didn't want to touch it.

It's good to see you've made a fair bit of progress in getting it back into shape, I know you're chasing the PDC fault and stop start but I'd honestly stick that on the back burner until you've got the main stuff sorted and money to spare, I find the parking sensors to be of little use in reality anyway and stop start just adds to engine and starter wear for a few extra mpg.
He says it's difficult due to needing new parts and the cost of them and it's not worth it for him. He said if I managed to get the parts then it would be considered when I told him I already have bought an exhaust system he then realised I was determined to get it fixed so he agreed. He mentioned I need a new center support new heatshield middle section as it's damaged, an exhaust holder arm near gearbox, and a bolt for gearbox mount as the bolt was stripped off.

Yes the two issues PDC and auto start stop don't bother me. I'm just upset I messed up the PDC when I took it out and put it back in to realise I killed it. As I knew front right parking sensor needed replacing. But now the module does too :censored:

I almost thought I lost my job to fund all of this but looks like it's back. So all is good.

He sent me a few pictures of the things I need to replace.
The annoying thing about adding pictures on this forum is the 256kb limit I keep having to compress before I upload each one.
nivens
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nivens »

That doesn't sound too bad at all, plenty of that could be found on eBay or a breakers like quarry motors. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 15 min to see if the PDC issue resets? It sounded like it was broken to start with though.
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

nivens wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:03 pm That doesn't sound too bad at all, plenty of that could be found on eBay or a breakers like quarry motors. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 15 min to see if the PDC issue resets? It sounded like it was broken to start with though.

I have tried with disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and It didn't work. I had to redo the time on the dash.
Would 15 mins help? / Make a difference
The PDC prior to me fiddling with it was atleast somewhat functional as the error came up on dash and I could hear clicking from all sensors part from one Or two. Now nothing when in reverse gear.
When I came to check it after removing the PDC I realised two cables were loose. I fastened them in properly but still no difference. It may have died due to short circuiting from an incomplete connection? Random guess I have no idea.
The wires from what I can see don't seem to be damaged.
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Did a little bit of work on the car today , rear washer wasnt working since I bought the car.
Fixed it today took off the rear cover cleaned out the insides of the nozzles and tubings and now its working again :)

In the process of now just going to work earn a bit of money then look out for the parts I need to then liase with the garage about getting it done sometime soon. I can also enquire with a custom exhaust company next week.
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

So a big surprise today.
I was driving to work which is about an hour's drive on the M1 to get to Northampton hospital.
The journey was fine.
For red traffic lights usually I stay in first with the clutch down waiting for it to change. Sometimes I put it in neutral if it's a long wait.
I didn't put it into neutral until one of the very last red lights before the hospital.
All of a sudden the car engine turns off and I'm thinking "oh Shi* the car just died on me"
Then I look at the dash and I see Auto Start Stop
I then smile and laugh in disbelief and then put my foot on the clutch and the car starts again.

Possibly all of the driving and things has recharged the battery :)

So that's one issue that solved itself

Next is to buy an AHL module I saw one for £31
A PDC module will cost me £70 + replacement sensors £12
Exhaust and fixing it all up no idea maybe 300 parts + labour

Almost there...

(Now that I think about it the auto start stop error has been removed from the dash for atleast 5 days now so it must have been fine a while ago and I have only realised today)
MartinK1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

A whole load of problems ... E87 118D 2007 advice?

Post by MartinK1 »

Awesome.

It’ll be another day and you’ll wish It didn’t work again! Stop start drives me mad. I turn it off every time now.

Steady progress being made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E87 120d SE| Sapphire Black | Boston Cream sports Leather | Extended Lights package - GONE!
E82 118d M-Sport | Space Grey | Boston lemon Leather - GONE!
E90 318d M-Sport | Alpine White | Boston lemon Leather | Extended Lights package
nivens
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nivens »

Sometimes doing nothing pays off :lol:

It might be worth trying a new sensor before you replace the PDC if you know one is broken, see if you get lucky there as well.
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Its a miracle start stop is back it feels kinda cool for now but i can see it being annoying turning off when i need the engine on a millisecond later.
Already happened once.

I know the front right sensor needs replacing.
I am looking to get the exhaust parts arranged over the coming weeks, however I have exams coming up in exactly 7 weeks so I need to get a move on with that and let the car manage on its own for now.
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Ordered a center support brand new from BMW ebay store as they were doing 20% off so came from 55 to 47 pounds.. quite a bit but no used breaking car has had this part available so it is what it is.
AHL module is arriving on thursday where I will also sort out the condensation in the headlights and somehow cut a hole to allow drainage of water.

I have the exhaust now and also center support. Next is possibly DPF that has been gutted to install into the car so it all latches on nicely.

Also need to buy heat shield for the underneath and a few suspending arms etc and some bolts. Hopefully the guy doesnt charge me an arm and a leg to fit it all ...
bobwibbles
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bobwibbles »

AHL module arrived today. not sure if i want to mess around with removing the bumper replacing the module and drilling holes for water drainage anytime soon ,worried about causing more issues... I have seen apparently sometimes you also need to replace the ballast. I dont want to disassemble to realise Im missing a part.
If it is a simple process I may attempt it when I go back home in NCL for the weekend and if it definitely only needs an AHL replacement.
Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nyxeris »

The ballast is the power supply/regulator for the headlight bulb. If your headlight works you don’t need to replace the ballast, easy as that!
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!

Return to “BMW Problems”