Starter motor replacement

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

everson38

Starter motor replacement

Post by everson38 »

Hey guys,

New to forum and first ever post so apologies if get things wrong. I recently got a BMW 1 2006 2.0 Petrol (not sure of engine - still learning these cars so englighten me if know).

I need to replace the starter motor and was wondering if anyone has a links to video / online guide to how to do so? Please see attached picture of my engine if it helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Starter motor replacement

Post by marco_polo »

It’s 100% the starter motor? Unusual for them to fail, but not impossible I suppose.

I’d be checking the engines’ Earth Strap and the full length of the positive cable (under the car - especially under the boot) to make sure the Starter is able to get enough Amps?

(I’m assuming you’ve already made sure the Battery is healthy, and fully charged to 12.6V)
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Currently saving up for some Pork....
everson38

Post by everson38 »

marco_polo wrote:It’s 100% the starter motor? Unusual for them to fail, but not impossible I suppose.

I’d be checking the engines’ Earth Strap and the full length of the positive cable (under the car - especially under the boot) to make sure the Starter is able to get enough Amps?

(I’m assuming you’ve already made sure the Battery is healthy, and fully charged to 12.6V)
Hey Marco,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes pretty sure it's starter, when trying to start the car it lights up as it should be no start, I tried jumping it from engine bay points and nomchange. I then banged the starter motor a few times and it started up.

everson38

Post by everson38 »

But I will add the battery was alittle low at at 12.02v ?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

12.0V is about 60% discharged, so pretty poorly. I’d want it up to 12.4V minimum, ideally more of course.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

everson38

Post by everson38 »

marco_polo wrote:12.0V is about 60% discharged, so pretty poorly. I’d want it up to 12.4V minimum, ideally more of course.
I'll probs look into battery, could a weak battery be causing the issue with the starter motor?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Certainly a possibility.

everson38

Post by everson38 »

marco_polo wrote:Certainly a possibility.
Do you know of anyway how to check which starter motor is needed been on euro car parts and there are about 8 to choose from?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

No, ECP are less than useless. Best bet is to remove yours and physically match them up in store.

everson38

Post by everson38 »

marco_polo wrote:No, ECP are less than useless. Best bet is to remove yours and physically match them up in store.
Yeah was afraid of that, the queues have become herrondous in recent months and it just adds to job and boredom ImageImageImage

everson38

Post by everson38 »

So Update:

1) I replaced my battery for a same size and model 70Ah . The car still did not start.

2) I then decided to try bang the starter again and after doing that, it now cranks but does not start

3) I scanned the car again and from what I can gather I have a starter code and a dme codes (see pic)

Would replacing the starter solve this or is it something deeper, as i don't want to throw the parts cannon at it?

Thanks in advanceImageImage

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

2F44 usually means the battery has been run so low/disconnected, that the DME has lost the pairing with the CAS

IE, the engine ECU doesn't recognise the immobiliser

I'd try the other Fob on the off-chance, if that doesn't work either, you'll have to pair them back together again. Is your Maxicom scanner capable of DME to CAS alignment?

everson38

Post by everson38 »

marco_polo wrote:2F44 usually means the battery has been run so low/disconnected, that the DME has lost the pairing with the CAS

IE, the engine ECU doesn't recognise the immobiliser

I'd try the other Fob on the off-chance, if that doesn't work either, you'll have to pair them back together again. Is your Maxicom scanner capable of DME to CAS alignment?
Absolute nightmare lol. Thanks for response. I'm not sure if my maxicom mk808bt can do this, literally had it a few days so still getting to grips with it. Have any ideas?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Not heard of MaxiCom before, sorry.

Return to “BMW Problems”