E81 No power after shifting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Saskia

E81 No power after shifting

Post by Saskia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:09 am

Hello all,

I bought my first BMW last year and so far I have been enjoying it. It is an e81 120i made in 2008. Last weekend I took a trip of about 500km and the weather suddenly got very cold with snow. Then I noticed that whenever I shifted up from 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th, the car would have no power for like half a second and then recovering. During this powerloss, the RPMs would remain constant or even drop slightly not matter how much gas I gave it. This problem was there during my whole trip but now it happens in every gear shift, it sort of dies after releasing the clutch. Needless to say, it is not possible to accelerate fast from any speed.

Have anyone here experienced the same or similar problem? I would like to see if there is anything I can do before trying to claim the used car guarantee that came with the car.

Thanks a lot guys.

Saskia

Re: E81 No power after shifting

Post by Saskia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm

I´m posting this as an update and hope that it will be of help for other people with similar issues.

After about three weeks of searching for the problem and constantly scanning the car for issues, the engine light finally came on. It seems that the problem was two faulty lambda sensors and a radiator fan.

The car never overheated (I was always checking the temps) probably because of the cold weather (I live in Germany) so I think it was just another undetected problem. I am blaming the defective lambda sensors for the lack of power. Interestingly I never got any of the symptoms of a faulty lambda sensor such as poor fuel consumption, rough idling, etc. Anyway, after the sensors were replaced, the car came alive. It never felt as strong as now and the throttle is also very responsive. Anyway, I am finally at peace and I feel that I have a complete car.

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Glad it's fixed. :)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

jason@bwchiptune
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:22 am

It's odd for both lambda to fail at the same time
What was the codes coming up ?

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991.
Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE) and Cas units.
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW FRM repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
BMW key blades cut from BMW key code.
Key data fixed for non starters or when theft attempted by making key by obd.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Click here for: BMW Remaps
Click here for: BMW Repairs

DynoDynamics rolling road testing in london & newcastle

dealers across the uk

BMW tech
Performance tuning
Ecu repairs

8 & 9 Alpha ind est
Hayes
Ub3 1bb

Saskia

Post by Saskia » Tue May 22, 2018 4:26 pm

The errors I got from the Carly app are 002C9C, 002C9D and 002C9E. Interestingly, my car is reporting higher fuel consumption up to 39l/100km when accelerating but overall, a full tank last for up to 700km, not sure if this is what I should be expecting.

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Saskia wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm
I´m posting this as an update and hope that it will be of help for other people with similar issues.

After about three weeks of searching for the problem and constantly scanning the car for issues, the engine light finally came on. It seems that the problem was two faulty lambda sensors and a radiator fan.

The car never overheated (I was always checking the temps) probably because of the cold weather (I live in Germany) so I think it was just another undetected problem. I am blaming the defective lambda sensors for the lack of power. Interestingly I never got any of the symptoms of a faulty lambda sensor such as poor fuel consumption, rough idling, etc. Anyway, after the sensors were replaced, the car came alive. It never felt as strong as now and the throttle is also very responsive. Anyway, I am finally at peace and I feel that I have a complete car.
Hi mate what was the issue with the fan you had? I have had the same issues as you, in terms of the hesitation and lack of power after up shifts (you pointed me into the direction of this thread)

My car is currently in the garage and the fan isn't working plus some burnt out wiring, wondering if just that could have caused the lack of power. Like you it has only just through on a error code before hand there was nothing.

Saskia

Post by Saskia » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 am

I also thought that maybe the defective fan was the reason for the lack of power, perhaps to prevent overheating but in the end it was a separate issue. In my case, the terminals of the fan and the cables were rusted. After a cleanup, everything was working fine.

The car stopped having that annoying hesitation only after changing the lambda sensors.

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Saskia wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 am
I also thought that maybe the defective fan was the reason for the lack of power, perhaps to prevent overheating but in the end it was a separate issue. In my case, the terminals of the fan and the cables were rusted. After a cleanup, everything was working fine.

The car stopped having that annoying hesitation only after changing the lambda sensors.
Oh geez looking pricey then, it's currently in the garage the wiring to the fan looks like it's been ripped so that is being sorted, but the fan doesn't seem to want to turn,only turns an inch or so! Still havnt got any error codes up over lambda sensors, debating weather just a clean up will help with them!

Saskia

Post by Saskia » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Assuming that is the lambda sensors, if they havent been changed, it is better to just replace them, you will save yourself time and money. I am not sure but I think I read somewhere that they start to fail after some 80k km or so.

Return to “BMW Problems”