118D exhaust blowing from front?

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

MattyKHZ
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

118D exhaust blowing from front?

Post by MattyKHZ » Tue May 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Reading on here the blowing in my original exhaust that has done 117k miles could either be the manifold or flexijoint.

Is there anything easy to spot for manifold as flexijoint I am sure is obscured by the panel under the car.

Cannot really self diagnose until weekend and would rather not have to be on ramps and mess about with panel under car if I can.

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 118D exhaust blowing from front?

Post by MontegoBlue » Tue May 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Do the cloth test, cover exhaust with a rag, and listen out for a rattle/smoke coming from the flexi (my guess it is this) its a very weak part and constantly flexing (as it should be)

Just had my E91 Flexi done, it was a right pig, no panels to move, but in the end my mechanic had to remove panels and whole of the DPF, as you will need to cut out the old flexi, and weld new part in and then back on the DPF, as it bends on itself...

Same again on my old 2008 118d @135k it split.

Either way you need to know someone who is good at welding and needs to be up on a ramp.

MattyKHZ
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MattyKHZ » Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks.

Been scouring these pages which is how I cam to conclusion manifold or flexi.

Been ringing and emailing places recommended on here for quotes.

Infinity seem to be the best bet currently so may take there and get full exhaust from flexi done. Was advised elsewhere that bmw do use sta8nless exhausts but a cheaper stainless so no need to replace everything. Only want to do it once hence thinking of getting the lot done.

Expensive month with bilstein b12 and m3 lca, bushes etc also needed as suspension has wrecked winter tyres this year. No doubt age related or down to state of roads which i have never seen as bad as is currently. And new tyres needed so £70 off asymmetric 3 Goodyear’s from Costco going on after suspension is sorted.

russell hayward
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by russell hayward » Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 am

Had flexi changed at Infinity some years ago, did a great job. Wasn't cheap, but it's not the easiest thing to get done locally.

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Wed May 16, 2018 8:23 am

Yeah, it was the labour that buggered me, as it was such a big cumbersome job if you need to weld and remove the cat/exhaust etc (they sell the new flexi part as a replaceable unit now, so BMW know they are a common problem) This wasn't available a few years ago when I had my 118d done, so had to get a custom pipe/flexi fabricated.

The way I got it done on my 3er was a new flexi and pipe, attached by clamps, so if it goes again, all I need to do is swap out the flexi by un-clamping it, my guy did a nice tidy job.

Return to “BMW Problems”