Air con issues - F20

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Air con issues - F20

Post by Nottsknots » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:14 pm

Mine also makes a "sea-shore" kinda noise, so I know what you mean. Does it change if you whack it on recirculation? Might be the system switching between recirc and fresh air intake, to try to increase efficiency of the cooling.

Water trickling sound is also normal; the "gas" in the system is condensed into liquid by the compressor (compression heats it up, so it goes through a radiator up front to get it back to "normal" temperature), and the liquid flows into the evaporator where it, errr... evaporates. Evaporation cools it, which cools the metal of the evaporator, and the air flowing over the evaporator also cools. So, the liquid in the system is what you can hear. Once the compressor stops, the evaporating liquid pushes the rest of the liquid around for a few seconds.

There is also condensate that might be flowing, but its unlikely you'd hear that, and it does drip out under the car (which you dont seem to have, which is why I doubt you're hearing it). As the air passing over the evaporator cools, its less able to hold water vapour, so it condenses, drains out, and leaves dry(er) air in the car - which can help demist the windscreen.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

adamroutley

Post by adamroutley » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:14 am

My aircon hasn't worked for sometime. I had it regassed when I bought it last year and was icy for about 3-4 weeks.. Hasn't worked ever since?

whodareswins1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by whodareswins1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:14 pm
Mine also makes a "sea-shore" kinda noise, so I know what you mean. Does it change if you whack it on recirculation? Might be the system switching between recirc and fresh air intake, to try to increase efficiency of the cooling.

Water trickling sound is also normal; the "gas" in the system is condensed into liquid by the compressor (compression heats it up, so it goes through a radiator up front to get it back to "normal" temperature), and the liquid flows into the evaporator where it, errr... evaporates. Evaporation cools it, which cools the metal of the evaporator, and the air flowing over the evaporator also cools. So, the liquid in the system is what you can hear. Once the compressor stops, the evaporating liquid pushes the rest of the liquid around for a few seconds.

There is also condensate that might be flowing, but its unlikely you'd hear that, and it does drip out under the car (which you dont seem to have, which is why I doubt you're hearing it). As the air passing over the evaporator cools, its less able to hold water vapour, so it condenses, drains out, and leaves dry(er) air in the car - which can help demist the windscreen.
But it sometimes does this even with the air con off. I will check to see what happens when I turn on recirc. See if that makes any changes.
F20 116i

Return to “BMW Problems”