Problems possibly terminal....

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Dominic H

Problems possibly terminal....

Post by Dominic H » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Afternoon all,

I have a 2007 120d auto with 91000 miles showing. It was an AUC car 3 years ago and is BMW main dealer maintained.

At the weekend my wife was driving at 70mph on the motorway, when there was a sudden loss of power. She was able to make progress home at around 40-50 mph, as she was only 10 miles from home. Once home, I examined the car to find that it started, idled and reved in neutral seemingly correctly. I drove it around the bloke, it was fine up to about 20mph, any faster and there is a noticeable sharp/shrill noise.

The car is under the BMW driveline warranty so I took it to the local BMW main dealer on Monday morning. They have just called back to say that it's not looking good. They have read the OBC and a number of faults are showing;

Fault on EGR
Fault on DPF
Fault on inlet manifold
Fault on glowplugs
Fault requiring software update

An itemised estimate estimate is being prepared, but as a guide it was indicated that the parts would be over £2000 plus labour plus vat.

Bearing in mind it is worth £3000 on a good day, the cost of the repairs are going to be more than the car. Are these faults repairable at a sensible budget, or is an otherwise sound car just good for scrapping?

The forum helped me reduce an estimate of circa £3000 to replace a worn ABS pump to around £600 last year so any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Dominic

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Problems possibly terminal....

Post by HaiderGill » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 pm

You want to find out what parts need changing and why?

Then we can probably help you further. I have 55 plate 120d on a 130k miles and that does seem an expensive repair bill.
120d RS (RoadSport) Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, BMWP Style 269, PS4, Professional Sat-Nav, iPod integration kit, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

Dominic H

Post by Dominic H » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks Haider,

The service department is preparing a decent sized estimate which itemise the parts required, and should give the fault codes. I should have this in the morning.

Thanks for feedback.. D

barneyrubble
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by barneyrubble » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 pm

I think the warranty only covers you to the value of the car if I remember correctly.

Not sure what they do at that point - do they give you the cash and scrap the car?
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

Dominic H

Post by Dominic H » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:51 am

HaiderGill wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 pm
You want to find out what parts need changing and why?

Then we can probably help you further. I have 55 plate 120d on a 130k miles and that does seem an expensive repair bill.
Right, I have the estimate from BMW. There are three areas that are showing permanent fault codes;

DPF at £1485 plus vat inc bits and labour.

Glow plugs/pre-heater at £555.05 plus vat inc bits and labour.

Fuel heater £829.52 plus vat inc labour.

A total of £3444.58 inc vat and parts.

It was explained that the inlet manifold was also showing faults and was likely to be blocked. There is a strong likelihood of additional costs once they'd started the work.

I guess the next move would be to see if any of these issues/parts can be repaired rather than replaced at an Indy. See what the non-franchised cost would be. Then take a decision as to whether its worth doing. As per the OP, it seems a shame for an otherwise well maintained, reliable car....

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:19 am

How much of that bill will be covered by your warranty?
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

Return to “BMW Problems”