Radio display

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Bianco2564

Radio display

Post by Bianco2564 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:36 pm

During this hot weather,some of the pixels on the digital display on the radio fades out when the car has been sat in the Sun and heating up the interior.
After driving a while with the AC on it slowly comes back to visibility.
Radio works ok all the while.
Is it just a feature or a sign of impending failure?

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Radio display

Post by Nottsknots » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Bianco2564 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:36 pm
During this hot weather,some of the pixels on the digital display on the radio fades out when the car has been sat in the Sun and heating up the interior.
After driving a while with the AC on it slowly comes back to visibility.
Radio works ok all the while.
Is it just a feature or a sign of impending failure?
Hard to say exactly; as its only when hot, I wouldnt worry about it at the moment. The cause is almost certainly thermal expansion; there is a ribbon connector to the display thats polyester with copper conductors, which will expand at a different rate to the circuit board it connects into, so the conductors then dont align with the connections on the circuit. I strongly suspect when we get back to normal conditions, it will stop misbehaving. It's probably not perfectly aligned (0.1mm out would be enough, given the pitch of the conductors); one day it may start playing up in cool conditions, but then it'll just need realigning. I wouldnt try if its generally OK, as you risk making it worse and spending bl%dy ages tinkering around trying to fix it.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Return to “BMW Problems”