Ticking noise at idle

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

ApexLG
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Ticking noise at idle

Post by ApexLG » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone heard of this issue before? I when i lightly tap the pedal it seems to make a ticking noise. It also happens when I press the clutch down, then it stops when I reach a standstill. It seems the revs drop slightly from moving to standstill. This probably has only happened in the last day or so! It’s considerably worse in reverse.
Is this something I should be worried about?
Vid link attached.
Car is a 2011 120d N47
https://youtu.be/S1Mi8KXuXf8

Thanks!
2011 E82 120d Space Grey
P-Torque 220.2 bhp//333lb-ft
Darklines//BMWP Grills//Alcantara Trim//Twin Tips//AP Coilovers//
Zito ZF01//Carbon M4 Spoiler//Custom Carbon Splitter//Custom Carbon Diffuser//Depo V2//

G90

Re: Ticking noise at idle

Post by G90 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:17 am

Can you hear it in the engine bay or under the car?

ApexLG
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ApexLG » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:44 am

G90 wrote:Can you hear it in the engine bay or under the car?
Sounds like under the car, just behind the wheel I think mate!
2011 E82 120d Space Grey
Zito ZF01//Carbon M4 Spoiler//Custom Carbon Splitter//Custom Carbon Diffuser//Depo V2//

G90

Post by G90 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm

If its the front and low down can you see if your flexi pipe has cracked or if its the back wheel exhaust mount.
Only trying to go off the video noise. I don't want to try say what it is and point you in wrong direction but the symptoms you describe and the noise sounds like a problem with the exhaust. My f20 has a cracked pipe and sounds like :censored:
Can you upload another video outside the car and maybe get someone to replicate the noise whilst going into reverse? Assuming the noise is more pronounced bringing the clutch up in reverse.

ApexLG
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ApexLG » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 pm

G90 wrote:If its the front and low down can you see if your flexi pipe has cracked or if its the back wheel exhaust mount.
Only trying to go off the video noise. I don't want to try say what it is and point you in wrong direction but the symptoms you describe and the noise sounds like a problem with the exhaust. My f20 has a cracked pipe and sounds like :censored:
Can you upload another video outside the car and maybe get someone to replicate the noise whilst going into reverse? Assuming the noise is more pronounced bringing the clutch up in reverse.
Cheers for the advice, I may get under the car to have a better look.
Here’s another video inside, yet in reverse it’s much louder.
https://youtu.be/Z7GX5NV4edQ
2011 E82 120d Space Grey

G90

Post by G90 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:29 pm

ApexLG wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 pm
G90 wrote:If its the front and low down can you see if your flexi pipe has cracked or if its the back wheel exhaust mount.
Cheers for the advice, I may get under the car to have a better look.
Here’s another video inside, yet in reverse it’s much louder.
https://youtu.be/Z7GX5NV4edQ
Im assuming it drives well minus the noise? And can you feel it through the floor? Did it happen all of a sudden or is it progressively gotten worse?
Sound bud, once you eliminated that let us know. Sounds like the exhaust resonating off of something solid. Im surprised nobody else has jumped in on this with some previous experience/knowledge of the noise.

Shouldn't say this but when i had my fabia vrs the briskoda forum was full of accurate knowledge amd fixes. Someone will no doubt jump on saying take it to the dealers :piss2: money. :)

ApexLG
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ApexLG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Drives fine! I’ve heard it potentially could be the guibo flexi disc, so I might check the driveshaft for some play too. Would require the exhaust coming off which is going to be a pain!:(
2011 E82 120d Space Grey

Return to “BMW Problems”