Dimpled and grooved ticking noise

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Eivissa

Dimpled and grooved ticking noise

Post by Eivissa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:22 am

Having just fitted Brembo dimpled and grooved discs on the fronts, I've noticed a really annoying ticking noise when I have the windows down, which gets louder when I apply the brakes; something to do with the air getting trapped. I've read that this is normal for dimpled and grooved discs, but is there anything I can do to make it quieter?

I've read that the direction of the discs can have a bearing on this, and according to someone commenting on another forum, I may have installed the discs in the 'noisey direction'. Can anyone comment on whether it's worth swapping the fronts over to alleviate some of the noise, or if I can do anything else to help? I'm using Brembo brake pads, which were a couple of hundred miles old when the discs were installed.

This is the current direction of the offside disc...
Attachments
IMG_3548 (002).jpg
IMG_3548 (002).jpg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Dimpled and grooved ticking noise

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 am

Eivissa wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:22 am
Having just fitted Brembo dimpled and grooved discs on the fronts, I've noticed a really annoying ticking noise when I have the windows down, which gets louder when I apply the brakes; something to do with the air getting trapped. I've read that this is normal for dimpled and grooved discs, but is there anything I can do to make it quieter?

I've read that the direction of the discs can have a bearing on this, and according to someone commenting on another forum, I may have installed the discs in the 'noisey direction'. Can anyone comment on whether it's worth swapping the fronts over to alleviate some of the noise, or if I can do anything else to help? I'm using Brembo brake pads, which were a couple of hundred miles old when the discs were installed.

This is the current direction of the offside disc...
Noise is normal

Discs are not handed so there’s no chance of putting wrong disc on the wrong side
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am

Yup, they sound a bit rubbish, can't do anything about it. I mentioned the noise in your other post.

Just pretend you're 8 years old again, and have spokey-dokeys on your BMX. :)
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Eivissa

Post by Eivissa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:12 am

Ahhh yes after re-reading it, I now know why you put 'noisy' in there....should've given it a second thought!!

Is there any point in changing the discs over, so the slots hit the pads inside first, as opposed to how they are now?

Also, any advice on hard bedding in would be appreciated....10 hard brakes from 60-5mph, then let cool off...

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:52 am

No point, they're always going to be noisy. You'll be able to feel the grooves in the pedal action when braking hard too, as they machine your pads down.

Yup, standard run in procedure to transfer some pad material on to the discs.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Eivissa

Post by Eivissa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:00 am

Well at least I won't have to get my hands dirty again, thanks :)

I'm not too bothered about the noise myself, now I know it's nothing to worry about, I just don't want people thinking my car is a ticking shed when I drive past them!

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:40 pm

“Never bed pads with hard stops. The goal is to get a good transfer of pad material onto the rotors, and that's typically done with repeated, light brake applications. More heat for more aggressive pads, but never "lots of heat." Three gradual stops or near-stops from 30mph separated by 300' of cool down is a good start. More speed, more stops, more pedal for more aggressive pads. Some pads include a bed-in layer of special material which helps bed-in faster, but some don't. You'd need to refer to the pad documentation to know. You typically want to avoid hard stops for the first 50-100 miles as much as possible”

I have the same style of discs (but Textar) and calipers as you and they tick like a swarm of pissing crickets!!! I normally have the window down too to listen to the exhaust pop and burble!!

The difference is I have standard Textar pads and I just did as quoted above and they have been absolutely fine.

As for swapping discs for direction? If you take a photo of the disc on the other side and compare photos you’ll see that the grooves run exactly the same way, so you will always have one spinning in the wrong direction (if that makes sense)

Here’s mine for reference -
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Eivissa

Post by Eivissa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Ahhhh yes considering both discs had the same part code, they'll always be facing differently; I'll check when I get home for sanity's sake, but they must do!

I've been going easy on them so far, so may just carry on doing so for the next few miles. Going hard on them seems to divide opinion from what I've seen, and as I'm not sure what's best for these particular pads, probably best I don't push them.

I think I'm going to get someone to drive my car whilst I listen on the pavement, to see how loud it actually is, as it's not particularly quiet inside with the windows open, even before I start applying the brakes! Hopefully they will quieten down...a bit?!

Return to “BMW Problems”