N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by redwizard » Tue May 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Taffieboy1 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:51 pm
So just took into local place an hes good with BM, said he was unsure if chain or a pulley an best to pop over BMW to be sure, they say same can't say is the timing chain, would need to dismantle the car to find out, great !
"hes good with BM..." but can't tell whether the t/c is about to go from the sound of it? :shock: ....that's a red flag for me.

They are noisy engines by design (hence all that sound deadening), best to compare it with another N47 - plenty of us on here have one.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

Taffieboy1

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by Taffieboy1 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:26 pm

https://youtu.be/rIvdSPu5A5Q

Sounds v similar to that.

Think worse bit is BMW saying that they need to take it to pieces to get an idea, they work on them daily & know N47 has had issues.

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the mix "if you pardon the pun" my mechanic mate had a noisy 118d N47 in other week.

First thing he thought was the chain, but..turned out it was the water pump making all the racket :roll: so may not always be what you think.

Taffieboy1

Post by Taffieboy1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:49 pm

It was a tensioner pulley, has already had timing chain replaced as I emailed BM an they clarified for me, however they apparently are doing another recall on the 120 coupes as say power distribution cable are faulty.

Jaysterzo257

Post by Jaysterzo257 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi guys,

2 weeks ago had my 2007(57) plate 5 series serviced and the technician had reported that the timing chain was noisey?
Obviously a bit concerned so with all the previous hype about these snapping chains and that a QE campaign was around I called BMW UK CS and in length I spoke to a nice chap there who advised that the chain had been done under the QE back in 2014/15 can’t remember exactly when he said he even told me what dealership it was done at, and that if it was making a noise to get it in to a dealership pay the £120 diagnostic fee and if found to be at fault then it would have to be replaced by bmw again FOC.

So today the car got recovered in to my local dealer as the chain snapped, or atleast we all think so as it sounds like a sewing machine when cranking. I explained the situation to the service advisor who said he couldn’t see that the QE had been done but not worry they will get in at the earliest oppertuniy and the techs will confirm what the situation is.

Getting rather worried now and called CS up again this time getting a lady who again assured me that the QE had been done and if it has failed then BMW would have to repair the car at no cost to myself. Sigh of relief there.

6pm get a call from the service advisor asking me when the QE was carried out, by who etc etc ? I couldn’t answer the questions because the convo I had 2 weeks ago I can’t remember the exact answers to the questions asked, so I just said best of ringing CS and keeping me informed. His reply was he would do that however thier senior advisors are saying that the cost of the repair would be down to me because the campaign has now finished and BMW were not accepting anymore of this issue, he went onto say that thier system shows a tick for the GE but the tick doesn’t mean it was done, it’s just ticked when the campaign finishes.
I thought to myself what a load of crap why would a dealership tick on their systems that a QE has been carried but not do it?

So after speaking to the dealer I phoned bmw assistance who again said no it has not been carried out, and that he apologises for the incorrect information given to me 2 weeks ago and the most that could be offered is a goodwill towards the repair.
I advised the guy that I had a email from CS suggesting that although the chain was never a recal QE were available for a short period of time.

Here is a copy of that email

Good morning Sahil

Thanks for your email. I'm sorry to hear about this - I can understand how frustrating this must be for you.

Looking on our systems I can't see that any work has been carried out on your BMW 5 Series regarding the timing chain. There wasn't ever a recall on the timing chains on our cars, but a quality enhancement that was available for a short space of time. I'm sorry if you have been advised otherwise.

Your vehicle has had quality enhancements carried out for different components on the vehicle, and these are done as a courtesy to the customer who owns the vehicle at that time. These aren't safety related concerns and we generally wouldn't make our customers aware that these have been released.

If you do have any concerns regarding the timing chain, we would recommend visiting an approved BMW Centre to allow our technicians the opportunity to look into this for you.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards

Connor

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Connor Morris
Senior Customer Service Consultant
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire, GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0)370 5050 160
Email: customer.service@bmw.co.uk
Web: http://www.bmw.co.uk

So I need some advice from you guys on how to proceed with this because conflicting information seems to be paramount for BMW on this one, 2 CS agents saying one thing and the dealer and bmw assurance saying another.

Any help would be appreciated guys

Thanks

ShouldI?

Post by ShouldI? » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:20 am

Hi All,

I'd be grateful for your thoughts? I'm considering a 120d coupe registered in February 2008. It's a lovely car, in good condition, with genuine low miles (62,000), good main dealer history and is good value. I didn't know about the N47 engine issues when I looked at it but do now of course. I was in touch with the main dealer direct re the Quality Enhancement (it's an individual selling it now) and they confirmed by email the Quality Enhancement was completed on the car on 23/01/2016 at 50,300 miles. They state: "The repair was the top timing chain replaced and no further repair was required after that as the lower chain was in spec at the time." I would be hoping to keep the car for a good few years and would be doing at least 15000 miles a year in it. What do you think - should I get it or stay clear? I've never been so indecisive about a car before!

Thanks all

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:40 am

ShouldI? wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:20 am
Hi All,

I'd be grateful for your thoughts? I'm considering a 120d coupe registered in February 2008. It's a lovely car, in good condition, with genuine low miles (62,000), good main dealer history and is good value. I didn't know about the N47 engine issues when I looked at it but do now of course. I was in touch with the main dealer direct re the Quality Enhancement (it's an individual selling it now) and they confirmed by email the Quality Enhancement was completed on the car on 23/01/2016 at 50,300 miles. They state: "The repair was the top timing chain replaced and no further repair was required after that as the lower chain was in spec at the time." I would be hoping to keep the car for a good few years and would be doing at least 15000 miles a year in it. What do you think - should I get it or stay clear? I've never been so indecisive about a car before!

Thanks all
Don't worry about the timng chain - if you're happy with everything else then go ahead and buy it.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

iscinteianu

Post by iscinteianu » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm having a 118d 143Hp from the first lots, manufactured may 2007. Bought the car at aprox 70000km, not almost 215000km after 7 years of joyful owning.
The chain started to rattle at aproximatelly 100k km, and when i decided to change it in 2014 it had 135000km. Replaced two chains, guides and tensioner with the latest revised models. Now my chain starts to rattle again slightly but i won't worry, as probably 30-40000km i should be ok with it.
I always change the oil and filters at each 10000km and the car is properly maintained overall.

But, the distribution design is problematic, and the chain replacement should become a regular maintenance schedule for everyone. Old days when chains lasted forever are gone.

Cheers!
Ionut

ajw08

Post by ajw08 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:10 am

hi guys new to this. bought a 61 plate 118d m sport a month ago. registered in sept 2011 ive noticed a slight swooshing noise coming from the chain area. its not that loud really but will i need it changed straight away or will a service and maybe a new tensioner sort it out or how long would u think i could run it for as it is. thanks

ajw08

Post by ajw08 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:11 am

its covered 114k by the way with all but 2 service stamps from bmw all on time

Return to “BMW Problems”