N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Nathanmartin

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by Nathanmartin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:52 am

stevesurrey wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 pm
Nathanmartin wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:02 am
Hello

I have been reading this with great interest. And found some useful info on this thread.

I am hopefully about to purchase my first BMW however reading through this has somewhat made me apprehensive. I am looking at a finance deal which is likely to be between 3-4 years so whilst I appreciate cars are cars and they aren't bombproof I just want to check the engine that I am looking at and if it falls under the first category of will go wrong or category 2 could make an annoying noise. (I know all engines can go wrong but hopefully you get what I mean!) the car is a BMW 1 series 118d ES. On an 08 plate.

I did a search of the vehicles registration and was able to find the engine codes from that. The N47D20U0 and then in brackets underneath that another code (N47D20A). I thought I read earlier that the N47D20U0 engine was likely to make a noise but not fail.

My apprehension comes from my previous car which was an old golf. It was only £400 and the cambelt snapped on that going down the motorway. Obviously reading into this I would just like to confirm if it is indeed the problematic engine.

Any help assistance guidance is much appreciated!! There are a few options for me and am going to be looking at a few cars tomorrow and through the weekend

Thanks!!
An '08 plate is likely to be one of the early and therefore most vulnerable versions of the N47 engine. Unless you're given proof its had all the chains, sprockets and guides replaced by BMW under the recall/Quality Enhancement I would leave it alone. Do you do the miles to warrant a diesel ?
A lot of motorway miles so generally would be looking at the diesel.

I have since looked at another model which is 2010 which I believe could have some noise issues from it. Is there a way to check that this model would be okay?

I think it was either the 116d / 118d m sport. It's got a registered date of march 2010

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by rob180bhp » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:27 am

Nathanmartin wrote:
stevesurrey wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 pm
Nathanmartin wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:02 am
Hello

I have been reading this with great interest. And found some useful info on this thread.

I am hopefully about to purchase my first BMW however reading through this has somewhat made me apprehensive. I am looking at a finance deal which is likely to be between 3-4 years so whilst I appreciate cars are cars and they aren't bombproof I just want to check the engine that I am looking at and if it falls under the first category of will go wrong or category 2 could make an annoying noise. (I know all engines can go wrong but hopefully you get what I mean!) the car is a BMW 1 series 118d ES. On an 08 plate.

I did a search of the vehicles registration and was able to find the engine codes from that. The N47D20U0 and then in brackets underneath that another code (N47D20A). I thought I read earlier that the N47D20U0 engine was likely to make a noise but not fail.

My apprehension comes from my previous car which was an old golf. It was only £400 and the cambelt snapped on that going down the motorway. Obviously reading into this I would just like to confirm if it is indeed the problematic engine.

Any help assistance guidance is much appreciated!! There are a few options for me and am going to be looking at a few cars tomorrow and through the weekend

Thanks!!
An '08 plate is likely to be one of the early and therefore most vulnerable versions of the N47 engine. Unless you're given proof its had all the chains, sprockets and guides replaced by BMW under the recall/Quality Enhancement I would leave it alone. Do you do the miles to warrant a diesel ?
A lot of motorway miles so generally would be looking at the diesel.

I have since looked at another model which is 2010 which I believe could have some noise issues from it. Is there a way to check that this model would be okay?

I think it was either the 116d / 118d m sport. It's got a registered date of march 2010
They all have the same engine, later engines are better but still suffer chain problems, you have hopefully read the whole thread and maybe others online so I don't understand why anyone would buy a ticking n47 time bomb

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 am

There's way too much scaremongering going on - out of the hundreds of thousands on N47s out there (in BMWs and Land Rovers) what really is the percentage of failure? I bet it's miniscule as you only hear from the broken ones.

You should be able to upgrade any N47 with all the latest parts for under £1000 - from a decent indy, not a BMW dealer of course.

I plan to give mine a full "chain service" every 60,000 miles (it's on 48,000 at the moment) and always double the oil and filter change intervals.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:37 am

Seriously it's not scaremongering!!!!!!!!

Instagram "rob180bhp"

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:51 am

The risk is probably relatively low in view of the huge numbers the N47 was produced in. But only BMW know the figures. Alledgedly they didnt extend the recall beyond the 07/08 cars as their experience via the recall showed the incidence of problems was too small (or uneconomic more likely) to expand it. However, given the low market value of the older cars and the high cost of repair should the chain snap it can easily become an uneconomic repair and so a scrappage event.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

sparkie1984
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sparkie1984 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:54 am

Worst case take out the BMW warranty, assuming you can afford the monthly costs.

Then at least you will be covered should it go wrong.

I think the main problem is the sheer cost of the damage if it goes wrong.
2014 125D, pronav, electric seats, folding mirrors, adaptive xenons, auto high beam,

Gone - 2013 120D, 3 door, xenons, red leather etc

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:56 am

Mine is covered by full BMW warranty though, so if it breaks, they fix it.

This will only apply for up to 100,000 miles.
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:26 am

stevesurrey wrote:The risk is probably relatively low in view of the huge numbers the N47 was produced in. But only BMW know the figures. Alledgedly they didnt extend the recall beyond the 07/08 cars as their experience via the recall showed the incidence of problems was too small (or uneconomic more likely) to expand it. However, given the low market value of the older cars and the high cost of repair should the chain snap it can easily become an uneconomic repair and so a scrappage event.
The percentage is low, but a low percentage of millions of cars is still a large number

Instagram "rob180bhp"

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:32 am

Poeple go online to research to find this thread and others to gain knowledge before spending 1000s on a car and the facts are the facts it's a high risk engine

It was in watchdog for a reason
There was a recall for a reason

You find threads like this for a reason, its up to you then to take the gamble or take precautions

I'm not saying don't buy any car with n47 engine just know the facts before buying

Instagram "rob180bhp"

space
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by space » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:38 pm

I have just bought a 2008 E82 120d and just got off the phone to the BMW dealer who had sold it perviously and said mine wasn't subject to a recall after checking reg?? Is he talking non sense?

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Think that would depend exactly what question you asked or how they responded.
The recall has ended so they would probably say nothing could be outstanding.
The real question is whether it would have qualified for the old recall and whether it had any work done then or not.
A 2008 car my not have qualified if it was built late in the year.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

haque786

Post by haque786 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Hello fellow BMWers,

I would like to know the current situation amongst the owners of the N47 engine.

First of all, those who had the timing chain issue over the last few years, how have you gone about resolving it?

How many people have suffered from engine failures?

Most importantly and curiously, has anyone continued to use their car with the timing chain rattle?

I am currently in the early stages of the timing chain rattle, what is the best and smartest way to resolve it? [2009 320d Coupe E92 shape]

Get extended Warranty (e.g. click4warranty/warrantydirect) and just drive? Leave it with BMW? Get it replaced at an Indy?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jakestar05

Post by Jakestar05 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 am

Hi all - just joined the forum as on the hunt for a 118/120d for a commuter car, for my budget I'm looking at cars around 60k mileage mark and intend to use it for approx. 20k miles per year for the next 5 years!

I'm trying to avoid cars that fall into option 1 stated in the first post - I've seen a nice 2009 (59 plate) 118d for sale, and wanted to check that it doesn't fall into the 'danger' category!

Using the Free VRM Lookup tool (3r-auto-parts.com) I get the following:

Date of 1st registration: 17/12/2009
Engine model code: N47D20U0 (N47D20A)

From reading this thread, it would fall into option 2 - noisy but no heightened risk of snapping?

Am I right?

Many thanks!

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:42 am

It should be fine, just a bit newer than mine.

Just give it annual oil changes.

Jwilkes

Post by Jwilkes » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:48 pm

I have just bought a 2008 120d on Sunday, the previous owner stated that it's was all good including timing chain and no noises present but on the way home I found out the car is making a ticking noise when engine around 1500rpm.

I phoned bmw uk up yesterday and asked them if the timing chain had been replaced under the recall which they said yes but couldn't give me a date of when it was done.

So I asked them if my car can be fixed for free as the problem has come back since they fixed it and they told me to get it booked in for a diagnostic at my local dealers and they will send a report off and it may or may not get done for free?

Please can someone give me some advice on what to do?

Return to “BMW Problems”