N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by redwizard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 pm

It's noisy by design, doesn't mean that there's anything wrong.

Any work carried out by BMW should have a 2-year warranty, so if you can find the date (and even dealer) of when it was fixed - it should be on record.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

Jwilkes

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by Jwilkes » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:58 pm

So does that mean it's fine even though I can hear it clicking and ticking as the revs are built up? Has anyone who has had it fixed at bmw had the problem come back?

Aero
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Aero » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:10 pm

So I'm after a car to ferry my kids to Uni and back several times a year for the next 2-3 years, and it will be used as my daily too -> 30 mile commute to and from work.

I've found an e91 320d with 51k miles, it has FBMWSH and has had oil changes every 10-12k miles. It is a Dec 2008 car with engine code N47D20C.

I'll be ringing the servicing dealer tomorrow to ask if it's had any of the timing chain "quality enhancements" done.

I've read this whole thread, and most of the earlier cars with bigger problems seem to be N47D20A engines, so I wonder if the one I'm looking at is actually one of the "Jan 09 and on" models that may be noisy but less likely to snap?

Any views on this? Thanks!
Alpine White M2 LCi

joesmith1992

Post by joesmith1992 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:55 am

Hi all, I have a 320d registered in October 2010. It has the N47D20O1 engine. It has the "brushing" sound on idle however it seems to fade when the car revs above 1500 rpm.(sometimes even less)

The sound seems to come and go and I tend to find it goes as the engine warms up. I cannot hear it inside my car when driving however I am still paranoid of the expensive bill if it were to snap.

According to this thread any n47 engine made past 2009 doesn't snap - it just gets noisy. Can anyone confirm this ? I don't want to waste my money getting the chain replaced if it's unnecessary.

Cheers!

aldo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by aldo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:35 am

As said above they are noisey by design. The chain runs against guides making a slight brushing noise.

Have a look on YouTube for N47 timing chain noise. There are before and after repair videos showing the difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

joesmith1992

Post by joesmith1992 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Yes I have seen a few videos, in most cases the sound is far worse. If they are noisey by design then i shouldn't have to worry about it snapping? It seems the loud "ticking" noise ( which gets worse with higher rpm) is a bigger cause for concern, is the ticking sound also caused by the chain rubbing against the guides?

Cheers

EDIT: so I've just started my car and the sound is completely gone! Now the car sounds fine ! However yesterday I could hear it pretty clear. Confusing. :?

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:00 pm

joesmith1992 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:07 pm
Yes I have seen a few videos, in most cases the sound is far worse. If they are noisey by design then i shouldn't have to worry about it snapping? It seems the loud "ticking" noise ( which gets worse with higher rpm) is a bigger cause for concern, is the ticking sound also caused by the chain rubbing against the guides?

Cheers

EDIT: so I've just started my car and the sound is completely gone! Now the car sounds fine ! However yesterday I could hear it pretty clear. Confusing. :?
As for all the research I have done on this issue (my 318d 2012 is a "chainy" thing), and I have done alot over the years, the sound is the chain rubbing over the guides, they improved this in later years around 2011+ by inserting rubber inserts to quiten it down (more a comfort enhancement, not a structural reliability enhancement).

My old 2008 118d "Vintage" N47, sounded chainy but little different to my 2012 N47, but still noisy, my conclusion is its normal, but chains can break at anytime of a cars life, its just one of those things, its rare.

Another thing (that i dont think anyone has mentioned) is the whole engine is made from aluminium + with the chain at the back, the noise is amplified somewhat, so hearing it running across the guides is something that you might just not of heard when it was down in the front of the cast iron old M47's of yester year....

I am not saying there wasn't a dodgey batch back in the day, what 2007, 10 years ago :shock: , but i feel people just dont like the sound these make, so get worried, get them changed under warranty or whatever, for the noise to return once its bedded back in again. Change oil regularly every 10k with any LL04 oil and it shouldn't give you any problems.

kungfuman

Post by kungfuman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 am

We just bought a 2011 118d coupe a couple of months ago with 65k on the clock. It's a great car but I always find the engine a tad noisier than normal diesels. It's a diesel tappety type noise and on searching remedies I came across this thread. It's had a full bmw dealer service history and I'm wondering if I should ask them to look at it. Was the 2015 recall specific to the earlier 2007/2008 models? It's doesn't sound as bad as the ones I've heard on YouTube. Just sounds like a taxi if you know what I mean and very un bmw like.

joesmith1992

Post by joesmith1992 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks for the info guys I have booked it in to my local stratstone BMW garage for a health check anyway just for piece of mind.. costing me 165 quid. (Money it seems would have been better spent on an oil change by the sounds of it. Yet it was last changed 8k miles ago)

A little off topic but I'm really tempted to go for a remap on this car. Would this put extra strain on the belt / increase the chance of failure?

Cheers

EDIT: I figure i might as well share a video capturing the sound I am referring too. I've certainly heard worse but it did worry me to begin with.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/jqGtDa8EDjg[/youtube]
Last edited by joesmith1992 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Yes a remap will put more strain in the chain

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 pm

The chain issue is more common than people in this thread make out, it's quite widespread check on any bmw forum or Facebook grouo and you will find them

Instagram "rob180bhp"

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:32 pm

The chain issue is bugger than this thread makes it out to be, and will only get worse
And the fault has also gone over to f series cars

Sorry double post having issues today posting

Instagram "rob180bhp"

joesmith1992

Post by joesmith1992 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I've heard several BMs with N47s sound like mine, some better some worse. So I agree with you it is a widespread thing for sure. The sound is one thing, which personally doesn't bother me. It's the worry of failure that made me concerned. Yet I do not seem to see much evidence of widespread failure with the post 2009 N47s - most people who suffered a timing chain failure seemed to own a BM from 2007-2008.

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:22 pm

kungfuman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 am
Was the 2015 recall specific to the earlier 2007/2008 models? I
Yes
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

R5_RXK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R5_RXK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am

hi guys,

so i bought a 2008 E81 M sport 120D a few weeks ago. Drives spot on, has done just under 110k miles. No noise coming from the timing chain that sounds unusual that ive noticed. Has part bmw service history , then serviced at local garages. Since discovering this post has made me worry a bit that mine falls into that high risk category!

Have I bought a ticking time bomb? Its made it this far which is obviously good! I phoned a few bmw garages this morning and all confirmed that this car has never been subject to a recall. I explained that Id read it was within the range of recall and they explained that not all were effected during this time? Gave me the build date of 21 July 2008 and confirmed verbally that it would have been recalled if there was potentially an issue. Could this one have been missed?

Am i panicking over nothing? If its done 110k miles without an issue or recall for a noise then surely it'll be ok ? Optimistic thinking here! :lol: :roll:

Any thought would be much appreciated :)
Owner of BMW E81 Sparkling Graphite M Sport 3 Door Hatchback

Return to “BMW Problems”