VOTE - May/June 2015 Photo Competition

Want to show off your pride and joy? Post your photo here in the monthly photo competition and see if you can win the poll

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, lukemedway_uk

My vote goes to:

Poll ended at Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:53 am

1. br0wny
3%
2. rusty13
37%
3.soup
No votes
4. barrett120
No votes
5. BMWBrad
3%
6. Gingerbreadken
3%
7. Aero
5%
8. Ackers
3%
9. Twenny
3%
10. InfernalBadger
No votes
11. sonicvanman
24%
12. Cording12
3%
13. Red5
3%
14. RyanT
No votes
15. AW_Dan
No votes
16. Alexx
13%
17. Geordie Amanda
3%
18. Blakey916
No votes

Total votes: 38

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: VOTE - May/June 2015 Photo Competition

Post by Twenny » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:41 am

^^^ PMSL

2010 E82 125i modded by Babybmw.net
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

sonicvanman

Post by sonicvanman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Ackers wrote:Well done Sonic, a worthy 2nd place and my personal favourite :)

Rusty.......nice lens flare ;)
Cheers mate ;)

rusty13

Post by rusty13 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Oh wow - slightly unnecessary attacks at the photo jobs of a long time member in a "friendly" photo competition but here's my generic routine for editing all my photos for those interested.

- Take photo with iPhone, GoPro or Nikon D600
- Import onto Mac
- Post process from RAW to JPG usually
- Crop and straighten if necessary
- Run through lightroom or pixelmator usually to get colour balances sorted or overexposure etc corrected
- Use Richard Walton's Photoshop Action plugin where necessary for vignetting or dodge/burn.
- Plate removal for babybmw photos
- Add final tweaks as required.

The rules have never stated that post processing, lightroom or photoshop is not allowed and so in this instance the iPhone left the larger lens flare over the back of the car (that has the bigger circumference). It looked a little odd all by itself so I did indeed add the photoshop circles to make it look more balanced. I placed the centre over the sun which was already in shot and that's where the lens flare looked right to sit in the bottom right corner. The theme of the competition this month was to have the sun in shot, not that a lens flare was necessary. Given I didn't add the sun, I felt my tweak was appropriate.

If there's strong feeling that photoshopping shouldn't be allowed then it should be stated in the rules, but personally I disagree with that. Photography is no longer just about point and click, but more of what you can create with your tools to generate the art and effect you desire. Some cameras even offer on-camera photo editing these days. Subtle tweaks can really make an image *pop*. Any insinuation that the racetrack was "dropped in" is complete nonsense.

I'll bow to Semerka's arbitration on this going forward, but rather than the subtle digs at your fellow competitors, why don't you go and produce something better Ackers?
M135i Estoril Blue - 5 Door - Manual

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Sorry rusty if I offended you I didn't realise you were a long term member so for that I apologise. Maybe I should of read the competition rules on photoshopping etc before casting aspersions on your character.
However I still think there is a distinct difference between 'enhancing' a feature and physically adding one, especially when it's a fundamental add on, you've gone to seemingly great lengths (IMO) to make it far more serious than as you have already called it 'a friendly competition'
If Semerka deems photo shopping to be part of the competition I shall acquiesce.
But I won't be competing in the future as I feel it's unfair to those that actually take a good natural photo.

P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB

rusty13

Post by rusty13 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:55 pm

Hard to tell via forum notes whether you guys were being serious or not...

I'll call it a day :beerchug:

Ackers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ackers » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:13 am

It's one thing to colour balance or convert to B&W but to add something artificially that wasn't there to begin with changes it from a photo competition to a photoshop competition especially considering the subject matter, and seeing as barrett120 was told he couldn't enter for that very reason, it hardly seems fair you winning doing the very same thing?

Tbh I'm surprised you added it, I think the setting was grand enough, you didn't need to add to it and you obviously take your photography semi seriously and so to add an artificial lens flare is a pretty cheap trick if you ask me, and if you tried it on a photography forum you'd have been shot down in flames in the same way you would here if you stuck an M badge on the back of your car :lol:

For me the best two photo's came 2nd and 3rd, as for mine it was obviously a little too abstract for most tastes, won't change me photographing what I like though, I take pictures that I like and if others like them too then great, if not then no worries. So when it comes to a competition it's not a matter of taking a better photo, it's a matter of taking one you think others will like. If the majority liked yours because it's a 1 series in front of a race track then fine you should still stand as the winner but if they voted for it because of the lens flare you added in afterwards then as I demonstrated, we could have all done that if we had access to PhotoShop.
Last edited by Ackers on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
2008 123d auto M-Sport

Anish1993

Post by Anish1993 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:16 am

I guess we need to lay down a new law in the future then. NO PHOTOSHOP OR ANY EDITING IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM.

Semerka

Post by Semerka » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:47 am

Ooops!

I did later on in the thread asked Barrett120 which one of the photos he would lie to submit to the competition, but no reply. Maybe he overlooked it.

Perhaps someone else should step forward to running the photo competition, any takers please? I clearly do not pay enough attention. :(

To be honest I did not click that the lens flare in Rusty's photo might have been added, I actually thought that it was a great shame there was so much flare as it already had enough sun in it. :lol:

Of course the tweaks of white balance, etc. are allowed as it is the same kind of processing we would have to do with a film.
Now:: 2016 Macan Turbo
Gone: 2016 Macan S Diesel; 2011 N55 135i coupe; 2009 123d M sport Coupe

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:33 am

Hi Iva sorry to lay this on your lap when you have far more pressing matters at hand other than us juveniles squabbling about photo competition rules.
As I'm sure we can ALL agree?
Were it not for your commitment and dedication to this monthly competition it absolutely would NOT happen and sincerely ask that you might reconsider your position?

I'm sure all of us including rusty can agree that in the future ''enhancing' a photo is allowed but 'adding' anything to a photo once it's been taken is not allowed?

Semerka

Post by Semerka » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 am

That is a well worded definition Twenny! :)

Enhancemets and tweaks are allowed, but any additions or removals in a photo editing software absolutely not.
Now:: 2016 Macan Turbo
Gone: 2016 Macan S Diesel; 2011 N55 135i coupe; 2009 123d M sport Coupe

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:44 am

That seems fair Iva and glad we all agree for any future admissions to this competition.
(Although adding a line to next months competition rules may be prudent) lol x

Ackers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ackers » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:24 am

Does that mean then my entry for this months competition is likely to be excluded :(
2008 123d auto M-Sport

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Sadly yes Ackers but then you have made your point so probably best to be a tad more magnanimous and admit another photo this month.

Ackers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ackers » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:25 pm

I was surprised to find my car still has the triangle and medical kit in it, usually the first things to disappear when a car gets traded in along with the cargo nets :lol:

So i'll have to think of something creative to do with them........... and before anyone says anything I know where your going and no, no, I'm not doing that!
2008 123d auto M-Sport

rusty13

Post by rusty13 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:33 pm

Ackers then we can agree to disagree. I would like to thank Semerka for her hospitality in hosting this competition but I'll be bowing out from now on.

I've enjoyed participating over the years and have had a few wins with some memorable photos for me that have captured my enjoyment of the car.

It's a shame that it's come to this really but I disagree with not being allowed to edit the photographs. The line between enhancement and addition is too vague to police - is darkening adding a shadow?! Is lightening adding sunlight? I simply don't get the problem.

Anyway, adios amigos.

Return to “Monthly Photo Competition”