Steering wheel detailing

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

Tubes_f20

Re: Steering wheel detailing

Post by Tubes_f20 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Get some carbon collective revive on there with the brush it will come up like new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dark_cobra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dark_cobra » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 pm

I bought the renovation kit from leather repair company. Yet to use it however.
65 plate F20 lci 120d m sport. Edinburgh, Scotlandviewtopic.php?f=19&t=81082

Rbarlow59877

Post by Rbarlow59877 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 am

A trick I use, is heat the leather by wrapping it in damp microfiber cloths that have been soaked in warm water. Make sure you drain off the excess water as you want to open the pores and not soak them. Then use a weak, good quality leather cleaner to lightly clean off any contaminant. Once cleaned and dried, apply a good quality leather feed and allow it to soak in before taking off the excess with a clean microfiber. The trick is not the aggressively scrub the leather as it will eventually remove the dye. removing the oily contaminant caused by your hands will help reduce the "shine"

14TDC

Post by 14TDC » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:48 pm

I use leather wipes to clean it once every 5-6 weeks and then I put on bmw leather care conditioner. Going on its third year and still nice and mate

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Rbarlow59877 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 am
A trick I use, is heat the leather by wrapping it in damp microfiber cloths that have been soaked in warm water. Make sure you drain off the excess water as you want to open the pores and not soak them. Then use a weak, good quality leather cleaner to lightly clean off any contaminant. Once cleaned and dried, apply a good quality leather feed and allow it to soak in before taking off the excess with a clean microfiber. The trick is not the aggressively scrub the leather as it will eventually remove the dye. removing the oily contaminant caused by your hands will help reduce the "shine"
Good advice, this.
F22 M240i 8AT

Rhysh

Post by Rhysh » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Some top tips here! Mines just starting to shine up so going to give it some love!

Mr Whippy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mr Whippy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Little and often gentle cleaning is key.

The shine is just compacted dirt/grease with a smooth surface = glossy look.

But rub too hard and you damage the leather. I’d say let the cleaners do the work and use almost no pressure.

Trying to get one back to new in one pass is hard work.

Better to just use the tips here and work at it little and often until it’s back to new looking.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

RA23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RA23 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Old thread but Magic Eraser + Autoglym Leather Care Balm. Did it for the first time a few weeks ago and my steering wheel now looks brand new.
Auto M135i

tyusaf
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tyusaf » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:28 pm

dark_cobra wrote:I've heard this is the last thing you want to do. Those things are abrasive. Removes the surface of the leather.
Yes, only use a magic sponge as a last resort if you’ve resigned yourself to getting a new steering wheel. It’s basically sandpaper. Will take the top coating off anything it’s used on (leather/plastic etc)

Lots of YouTube Detailers use a magic sponge on leather because they are about getting paid quickly, not about making the leather last as long as possible.

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”