Recommended detailers in Surrey and how to short list

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

BMWdaddy

Recommended detailers in Surrey and how to short list

Post by BMWdaddy »

I'm considering getting a valet/detail for my BMW140i and keen to know of any trusted detailers and how you go about selection process when making a choice.

Thanks for your posting your views in advance!

MaxM140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Recommended detailers in Surrey and how to short list

Post by MaxM140i »

What are you looking to get done? That's how i would initially decide.

The difference between a valet and a detail is huge (in terms of results and also £).

I think first decide what you want done and the budget for it, a lot of places advertise their prices online. Mobile detailers will be cheaper but in my opinion will not get the same results and spend the same time as a detailer who has their own unit. If you are also thinking of a getting a ceramic for example, i would only ever use a unit based detailer as the ceramic needs time to cure.

The detailer i used was Elite Car Care. I've been going there for years to buy products but this was he 1st time his team worked on my car. I decided to use him because:

1) I know him and his business - its well ran and he genuinely cares. All cars are treated the same.
2) I've seen alot of his work when visiting his unit to buy products and the cars he's trusted to work on. I've seen some really rare/expensive cars there that you would have to trust the person working on.
3) He wasn't the cheapest, but he is honest and his results do the talking. Also happy to work to a budget and do what is possible. This was important as understandably i wasn't spending the same as maybe a lambo owner would, but he still wanted me to have the best results for my money.

BMWdaddy

Post by BMWdaddy »

Thanks for the detailed written response Max. I have never invested in detailing, protection or correction.

I've never really been able to convince myself the the return is worth it, cars get filthy, damaged and dirty everyday.

A bit like a 10 pound haircut Vs a 100 pound haircut.

That said I want to give it a go and spend a good amount on a full detail, paint correction and ceramic coating.

The prices are fairly similar, the sites are similar so thought I would see if there were any tips from forum.

MaxM140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MaxM140i »

No worries!

Based on what you are wanting, i'd go for a reputable, unit based detailer.

Surrey isn't 1 million miles from Elite Car Care who is my recommendation, but i'm sure there will be many in your local area too.

As a reference point i paid £450 (i think!) for a machine polish (some areas single stage, some two stage, some multi stage areas) and a good ceramic coating. my paint wasn't bad at all, as home detailing is something i'm into, but being black it did take slightly more work and i did get the car 2nd hand so i can't vouch for the previous owner. This was two days of work spent on my car and it looks great (i'll maybe try and upload a few pics once the work was done).

Do remember though, the work done and ceramic coating is only worthwhile if you are happy to maintain it. Ceramics are good but still does need simple care to last and its recommended to do top ups (you can get spray on 'ceramic' based products). Also, it's wasted money if you decide to start taking the car down to the local £5 wash. Also ceramic'd cars in this sort of damp, wintery weather unfortunately get just as dirty!

BMWdaddy

Post by BMWdaddy »

I think a big part of car ownership is the enjoyment you get from how it looks, sounds and drives. It would be wrong not to invest in that area. I have been shopping pretty hard and made a gentleman agreement today.

It would be great to see the pictures of yours would be happy to post mine after it is done.

MaxM140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MaxM140i »

BMWdaddy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:48 pm
I think a big part of car ownership is the enjoyment you get from how it looks, sounds and drives. It would be wrong not to invest in that area. I have been shopping pretty hard and made a gentleman agreement today.

It would be great to see the pictures of yours would be happy to post mine after it is done.
When i work out how to i'll do that!

MaxM140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MaxM140i »

Here you go:
IMG_20190824_125424_931.jpg
IMG_20190824_125424_931.jpg (98.87 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
IMG_20190824_125424_929.jpg
IMG_20190824_125424_929.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
IMG_20190824_102535_517.jpg
IMG_20190824_102535_517.jpg (103.89 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

BMWdaddy

Post by BMWdaddy »

Outstanding.. they did an amazing job on that mirror finish. Do you know what products they used?

How often are you planning on using that type of service. Do you find it much easier to clean? Mines booked in for next week. Will post my thoughts and pictures over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

MaxM140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MaxM140i »

BMWdaddy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:07 pm
Outstanding.. they did an amazing job on that mirror finish. Do you know what products they used?

How often are you planning on using that type of service. Do you find it much easier to clean? Mines booked in for next week. Will post my thoughts and pictures over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Not too sure on the polish set up. i chose to get my front bumper resprayed prior to get rid of stones chips etc. the car received a minor compound and then a polish in most areas, some areas had a little more work. Finished with G-technic crystal serum for approx 3-5 years protection. Definitely easier to clean and easier to get a great finish once cleaned, but, i am VERY particular about how i clean the car already! Although in the current UK weather not alot can keep a car clean! I would use it again but i hope the next time to give it a go myself to an extent ( i know i won't get quite the same finish but i would enjoy to give it a go). Can't wait to see yours!

BMWdaddy

Post by BMWdaddy »

Sorry this took so long! you are right it is a bit on a mission to get pics on here! Where did you upload your photos?

I used these guys Renovatio Automotive Detailing, you can see my car here https://www.facebook.com/Renovatio.Special.Finishing/

Anyway here goes:

MaxM140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MaxM140i »

I can't remember now... i found a sticky somewhere explaining how to do it lol!

Cant see the images on here but looking on Facebook it looks great! I'm sure i saw your post on the M*35i/M*40i owners page?

well worth the money imo, i'll be getting the wheels off mine too in the summer hopefully to brighten up in the arches.... it makes a bigger difference that many realise

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”