Recommendations for a good polish by hand

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin

ian_h
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Recommendations for a good polish by hand

Post by ian_h »

Hi guys so after some recommendations please for a decent polish to apply by hand. I've used SRP, auto finesse tripple, and poorboys black hole in the past on various cars.

But I'm open to try something new or if any of these products are ideal for me then I shall re-buy. I've been looking at Angel wax and autobrite.

So it's been a while but I'm going to give the car a good complete clean eg. De iron, clay bar, polish, glaze then wax. So I've purchased finishkare 300 hand glaze and I've got my wax so it's just the polish I want.

I've seen that tripple is classed as a polish glaze and wax? So it seems pointless me using this with the glaze and wax. I know poorboys has lots of fillers so could be good but will using the glaze strip any of the polish and make it harder for the wax to stick?

My colour is le man's blue any help appreciated and price wise I'm happy to spend upto £40
E87 2010 120d - P-torque remap 222 bhp - BMWP exhaust - ssk - cruise control retrofit- Toby depo's

MaxM140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Recommendations for a good polish by hand

Post by MaxM140i »

Can i just ask, why don't you use a machine polisher?

could probably get a half decent one from ebay and can use it to apply sealant too.... it would save you time and get you a finish not really achievable by hand. Plus save your arms

ian_h
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ian_h »

MaxM140i wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:39 pm

could probably get a half decent one from ebay and can use it to apply sealant too.... it would save you time and get you a finish not really achievable by hand. Plus save your arms
I used a friend's years ago on my old fiesta. I've always been interested in it but it's definitely something you have to work with over time to get right plus I don't want to cause any severe damage to the paint. I probably will give it a go this year at some point and invest in some kit. The in laws have an old unused car on the drive I could practice on I suppose
E87 2010 120d - P-torque remap 222 bhp - BMWP exhaust - ssk - cruise control retrofit- Toby depo's

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy »

Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish is great. By hand you can't achieve much so the BH is ideal. DAS 6 DA with Sonax ex 04-06 on a yellow Rupes pad :)
M140i, Mineral Grey

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius »

The Tripple is a good polish and hides swirl marks well. I top it off will a wax even though it’s already in the mix and it last a few months.

MaxM140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MaxM140i »

ian_h wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:42 pm
MaxM140i wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:39 pm

I used a friend's years ago on my old fiesta. I've always been interested in it but it's definitely something you have to work with over time to get right plus I don't want to cause any severe damage to the paint. I probably will give it a go this year at some point and invest in some kit. The in laws have an old unused car on the drive I could practice on I suppose
Honestly, with a dual action polisher its hard to cause damage. as long as you don't do anything silly or use anything too abrasive you'll be more than fine. BMW paint is pretty hard too. its great for the larger areas and then use a hand polish for the tight areas

G90
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by G90 »

Octavius wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:12 pm
The Tripple is a good polish and hides swirl marks well. I top it off will a wax even though it’s already in the mix and it last a few months.
same 👍 dodo juice supernatural hybrid for a decent lasting protection.

On another note. Some of the best detailers in the world do it all by hand or usually finger tips.
Petrol at heart, Diesel in the wallet... :starwars:
Current: F20 140i Sunset Orange
Previous:F20 120d Estoril Blue 2
E87 120d Sapphire Black

pem10
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by pem10 »

G90 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:00 pm
Octavius wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:12 pm
same 👍 dodo juice supernatural hybrid for a decent lasting protection.

On another note. Some of the best detailers in the world do it all by hand or usually finger tips.
Another vote for AF triple topped with SNH. Seems to shine a bit deeper after a day or two as well. Should look mega on LMB.
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines - roof spoiler - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake and exhaust - b12 pro - M140 front brakes - whiteline inserts - M3lcas - OZ Ultraleggera

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”