How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

BluesHead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Lethal Car Mats!!!

Post by BluesHead »

Guys,
I washed and my heavy duty rubber mats recently but as the were a bit dry and old looking I gave them a good dose of Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care and boy did they not look fantastic after that. Roll on next day and Mrs BluseHead nearly knocks herself out getting in the passenger side cos the mats are like the proverbial skating rink!! So they've been lying on the garage floor for a few weeks cos I cant be arsed cleaning them again but after I give them a good going over with 5:1 Surfex HD, can anyone recommend a rubber/vinyl cleaner/restorer that doesn't involve Mrs BluesHead risking life and limb (MINE!!) getting in and out?

Cheers as always!

BH.
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Lethal Car Mats!!!

Post by marco_polo »

I suspect anything that will make them look slippery and shiny will make them slippery and shiny.

If matte grey rubber is unappealing, maybe go for a nicer material? Carpet, or diamond stitched pleather?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Currently saving up for some Pork....
racey1979
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by racey1979 »

BluesHead wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 pm Guys,
I washed and my heavy duty rubber mats recently but as the were a bit dry and old looking I gave them a good dose of Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care and boy did they not look fantastic after that. Roll on next day and Mrs BluseHead nearly knocks herself out getting in the passenger side cos the mats are like the proverbial skating rink!! So they've been lying on the garage floor for a few weeks cos I cant be arsed cleaning them again but after I give them a good going over with 5:1 Surfex HD, can anyone recommend a rubber/vinyl cleaner/restorer that doesn't involve Mrs BluesHead risking life and limb (MINE!!) getting in and out?

Cheers as always!

BH.
Not a recommendation for cleaner but for another mat as I can't stand rubber mats. In the winter I used these and I thought they were absolutely brilliant, Nicoman rubber spaghetti weave mats. They don't look or feel much different to carpet mats, but they just eat dirt and never ever look dirty, they are non slip too. You can hose them down or even jet wash them, but I could go all winter using them and they just didn't look dirty even after months of use. Where debris/water just sits on a rubber mat, these absorb it.

http://nicoman.co.uk/index.php/spaghett ... -mats.html
F22 67 M240i MG, Coral, Birds B2, Quaife LSD, M4 LCA's & TS, BBS CH-R, MHD S1, xHP, MP Kit, HK, Pro Media
F25 16 X3 35D
E91 59 335d - Sold
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Renault Clio 16 Valve
Citroen AX GTI
BluesHead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BluesHead »

Cheers, I'll check these out!