Foam applicators

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

Guyzak
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Foam applicators

Post by Guyzak »

Hi, I Recently purchased Meguires Ultimate paint kit (compound, polish and liquid wax) and was after some advise as to which foam applicators you’d recommend when it comes to applying the products by hand.

Currently looking at these

Chemical Guys Hex-Logic Hand Polishing Applicators (3 Pack)
£18.95
https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/products ... 8b32&_ss=r

……or would any cheap foam applicator do the job, something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203209836996 ... %3A2332490

This will be a first for me, more concerned with how I go about the compound stage,
the online videos I’ve watched seem to go at it fairly aggressively……. I understand the aim is to remove a layer of clear coat to rid any marring, swirl marks etc

Also aware the majority use a machine polisher, being more efficient, better results, possibly something I’ll look into at a later date though.

Will be doing full wash, decontamination and clay bar before hand.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
danb21t
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Foam applicators

Post by danb21t »

You can probably skip the compound stage, that'll be a nightmare without a DA/rotary. What condition is the paintwork in? You really have to work the compound to break it down properly.

The Chemical Guys Hex pads get good reviews, I'm sure their hand pads are just as good.
I'd be tempted by both a set of premium pads for the cutting/polishing steps and then perhaps the eBay applicators for the wax stage. You'll have a few to play with in case you drop it or need to wash and dry etc
M240i
Guyzak
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Guyzak »

danb21t wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:32 am You can probably skip the compound stage, that'll be a nightmare without a DA/rotary. What condition is the paintwork in? You really have to work the compound to break it down properly.

The Chemical Guys Hex pads get good reviews, I'm sure their hand pads are just as good.
I'd be tempted by both a set of premium pads for the cutting/polishing steps and then perhaps the eBay applicators for the wax stage. You'll have a few to play with in case you drop it or need to wash and dry etc

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the advise on the applicators.
To me the paintwork looks to be in pretty good condition, it’s an 18 plate, as far as I’m aware it’s never undergone any sort of extensive detail, or paint protection of sorts, not in the last two years of my ownership anyway, so thought the car may benefit from a thorough going over, tend to give the car good lengthily wash every three weeks or so, then just go over with a quick detailer, comes up really nice.

Would there be anything to be concerned of if I were to skip the compound stage and go straight into polishing then waxing after claying the whole car?

I was under the impression claying can scratch and mar the paintwork, which is where the compound stage comes in to try and remove any light scratches in the paintwork? Would polish have the same effect?…….sorry bit oblivious to all this.
danb21t
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by danb21t »

Compound and polish stages are essentially going to achieve the same thing, as you are probably aware. Compound stage generally being more aggressive and normally associated with using a machine.

I would just go with whatever process you normally do to get to the point of applying your QD/sealant stage but at that point clay the car. Then onto another wash to remove residue from claying, then polish and seal/wax.

BMW paint work is notoriously hard so I think you'll be fine. Any fine imperfections should be addressed in the polish stage. Unless you have severe defects, light scratches etc.
Don't forget to mask up areas you don't want to get polish on.
M240i
Guyzak
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Guyzak »

Cool, that’s great, thanks very much, hopefully it all goes smoothly.
danb21t
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by danb21t »

How about some pictures before and after? Interested in the outcome
M240i
Guyzak
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Guyzak »

Ye sure, I’ll try and get some sorted
Guyzak
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Guyzak »

danb21t wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:26 pm How about some pictures before and after? Interested in the outcome

Finally got round to giving the car a good clean at the weekend, had a bit of a battle with weather but got there in the end, pretty happy with results too.
Attempted to uploads some pics, had no joy though I’m afraid.
Thanks all the same anyway, great help.
Marshy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Marshy »

A shame your having difficulty uploading pics.
Be good to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”