Baby BMW Forum banner

Cleaning alloys

5K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  glew08 
#1 ·
Has any of you found a brush that will clean the inside of the lip behind the spokes on the standard m140i alloys ?

I always seem to miss this as you have to have tiny hands to clean inside the spokes.

Thanks

#2 ·
I use a standard sized detailing brush with a cut down handle which I can then move around the wheel between the hub and the gutter. I use it in with Bilt Hamber auto wheel spray and do so every other week so tend not to have too much dust build up to deal with - never been much of an issue for me.

#5 ·
W80BUC said:
Get a set of original wheel woolies. You get three in a pack and all work perfectly in the right areas.
They struggle to fit these alloys although they are the best wheel brush imho. I'd try the Microfibre Madness "flat" Incredibrush as an alternative.

Or for tiny areas like the one the OP describes would a toothbrush do?

#7 ·
neilmcl said:
W80BUC said:
Get a set of original wheel woolies. You get three in a pack and all work perfectly in the right areas.
They struggle to fit these alloys although they are the best wheel brush imho. I'd try the Microfibre Madness "flat" Incredibrush as an alternative.

I use these on my one with the same wheels, tight fit but do work.

#8 ·
W80BUC said:
neilmcl said:
W80BUC said:

I've ordered the wo wo mitt for the alloys and spokes. But need something for the inside back of the alloys.

Does the incredibrush flat fit between the calliper and the alloy ? Looks a tight fit.

Cheers

#9 ·
Gaznrx8 said:
W80BUC said:
neilmcl said:

I've ordered the wo wo mitt for the alloys and spokes. But need something for the inside back of the alloys.

Does the incredibrush flat fit between the calliper and the alloy ? Looks a tight fit.

Cheers
I believe it does, which is the big issue for the wheel woolies which tend to catch on the caliper and discs, especially the biggest of the three.

There's a channel on youtube called the Forensic Detailing Channel that has video reviewing the complere Microfiber Madness range. The guy owns a M135i and really rates the Incredibrush for his alloys.

#12 ·
Gaznrx8 said:
Thanks Neil

I'll order one.

Cheers
My tools of choice for the alloys on my 120D, are Wheel Woolies, but like I say the big one struggles around the discs and calipers and is a bit tattered now because of it, so my next purchase will be the Incredibrush as I really rate their range of products. I tend to use the brushes to clean the barrels of the alloys and use a mitt and smaller detailing brush for the faces and in and around the spokes.

The alloys on my newer 120D are breeze compared the last ones and so much easier to clean than those on the M140i/M135i.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Bought and used the microfibre madness incredibrush (flat) and doesn't fit between the calliper and the alloy unless use force it in and risk damaging the brush :(

Used the wo-wo wheel mit and very pleased with that.

So anyone wanting the incredibrush I'll sell it you if the place I bought it from won't take it back.

#15 ·
Gaznrx8 said:
Bought and used the microfibre madness incredibrush (flat) and doesn't fit between the calliper and the alloy unless use force it in and risk damaging the brush :(

Used the wo-wo wheel mit and very pleased with that.

So anyone wanting the incredibrush I'll sell it you if the place I bought it from won't take it back.
That surprises me considering the video I linked showed the chap using the Incredibrush on his M135i alloys without any issue.

#19 ·
The only thing I'll add about the EZ brush and why I no longer have one is the rubber tip on the end of the brush can come off and if you don't notice it soon enough you could end up catching and scratching your wheels.

#20 ·
Further to this topic, can any of u guys recommend a good cleaning solution?

I have always used Devils Blood on previous vehicles (Seat/Mazda) but for some reason it is nowhere near as effective on my BMW alloys.

Btw I use the EZ Detail brush and have always found it to be gr8.

#21 ·
2Stevo2 said:
Further to this topic, can any of u guys recommend a good cleaning solution?

I have always used Devils Blood on previous vehicles (Seat/Mazda) but for some reason it is nowhere near as effective on my BMW alloys.

Btw I use the EZ Detail brush and have always found it to be gr8.
TBH, if you clean then seal your wheels then all you'll need is normal car shampoo. Failing that the best wheel cleaner I've used is Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels.

#23 ·
Thanks for the advice lads.

Having owned the car for three weeks, today was the first time Ive had the opportunity to spend a good amount of time properly cleaning the car.

The paintwork has come up a treat, looks like it came out the showroom however......

The inside of the front wheels are terrible!! Proper baked on break dust that the former owner has never cleaned off and that I can not shift. Tried everything. The rear wheels came up a dream.

Anyone any suggestions RE chemicals for this sort of thing?

#24 ·
2Stevo2 said:
Thanks for the advice lads.

Having owned the car for three weeks, today was the first time Ive had the opportunity to spend a good amount of time properly cleaning the car.

The paintwork has come up a treat, looks like it came out the showroom however......

The inside of the front wheels are terrible!! Proper baked on break dust that the former owner has never cleaned off and that I can not shift. Tried everything. The rear wheels came up a dream.

Anyone any suggestions RE chemicals for this sort of thing?

hiya mate i recently invested in some Bilt Hamber autowheels. This stuff really is the dogs bo***cks highly recommend. Also for lots of good tips / cleaning advise highly recommend the guys over on detailing world. Have recently got the bug myself and getting to grips with machine polishing for the first time :spotman:

see below

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheel...lt-hamber-auto-wheels-1-litre-/prod_1339.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.